Reaching out to POI

nghiduong90

Question

I am applying for Master with thesis (UofT, U of Alberta, SFU). Should I write an email to professors of those that I am interested in working with them as research student? I have research experience with 2 companies., 1 published paper as a 2nd author and an internship in the well-known corporation in US. 

4 answers to this question

At this moment, no. Most professors are just starting the semester and starting ADCOMs (if they are sitting on one this cycle). Typically, you should wait until the end of this semester at the earliest to contact POIs about next year's application cycle. However, most people will contact POIs at the beginning of next semester/late summer about the upcoming application cycle. Your timing is off, but you should contact a POI and discuss with them your ideas and plans, as well as their willingness and desire to take on another student.

Absolutely! I have friends that looked phenomenal in terms of grades, GRE, etc but we're rejected to programs because they didn't have a POI. Ultimately, you will be working for that advisor and if they don't know you or you don't have interest in their expertise it is really hard for them to consider you admission or funding. Reaching out and having a POI can seriously make all the difference. If they really want you as a student they can sway the admissions committee in your favor.

Simply, doing so can help you to stand out from other applicants and can help you affirm that a program can be the right one.

3 hours ago, Tigla said:

At this moment, no. Most professors are just starting the semester and starting ADCOMs (if they are sitting on one this cycle). Typically, you should wait until the end of this semester at the earliest to contact POIs about next year's application cycle. However, most people will contact POIs at the beginning of next semester/late summer about the upcoming application cycle. Your timing is off, but you should contact a POI and discuss with them your ideas and plans, as well as their willingness and desire to take on another student.

Does that mean my chance to get accepted is very low?

14 hours ago, nghiduong90 said:

Does that mean my chance to get accepted is very low?

No. It merely means that professors are busy with other things and will more than likely not respond or have a very delayed response.