UCLA GSEIS?

Basil23

Hi all! 

Glad to hear that so many people have gotten interviews and acceptances :) Best of luck to everyone as we start hearing back more... I saw that several people have started hearing back from UCLA, and was wondering if all the concentrations get notified around the same time, or if they tend to be really spread out? It looks like Urban Schooling has heard back so far... Anyone else heard back from any other concentration? 

5 hours ago, californiacastro said:

@EdPhDHopeful Wow, that's the first waitlist result for HEOC I've seen on this site. Fingers crossed for you. It looks like we applied to a few of the same programs (UCLA, UPenn, USC), not that many of us on here, good luck!

@californiacastro Yeah, it's odd that the programs in Cali (UC's, Stanford, USC) are not as heavily represented on this site when compared to Harvard and UPenn. Thank you for the words of support! I thought I was a pretty competitive applicant but with the results as they've been, I'm now only hoping for the best while not really expecting much haha. It also seems like the notifications were sent out via snail mail (the PDF attachment looked like a scanned copy of an original document) so maybe that's why people haven't heard back yet (my address was not correct so maybe it got returned to admissions?). Good luck to you as well!  

Edited by EdPhDHopeful

6 hours ago, EdPhDHopeful said:

I thought I was a pretty competitive applicant but with the results as they've been, I'm now only hoping for the best while not really expecting much haha.

I hear you! I was feeling much more confident on December 1 but the last few weeks have really put me on edge. I haven't heard back from any programs yet, but I feel like I should have at least heard from UCSB by now. I'm thinking we'll have a much clearer idea of where we stand two weeks from now but in the interim I'm a nervous wreck lol. I'm just looking for one yes though, I'd be stoked to attend any of the schools I applied to.

I read a bit into their FAQ (which was a bit hard to find on their site, but easily found through a Google search), and it stated that it is up to the department to interview you or not, and not receiving an interview is not necessarily an indication that you will be denied. (Search "ucla urban school interview" and the result reads "frequently asked questions | Ucla GSEIS")

Anyone know what to expect at the UCLA Urban schooling interview? Who we will meet with or the kinds of questions? They say it will be a round table group interview- will that group only consist of professors or will other students be there?

13 hours ago, fallin2PhD said:

Anyone know what to expect at the UCLA Urban schooling interview? Who we will meet with or the kinds of questions? They say it will be a round table group interview- will that group only consist of professors or will other students be there?

Did they already send you out an invitation?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2018 at 8:23 PM, fallin2PhD said:

For future reference. I attended the Urban Schooling interview and they let us know that they receive about 75 applications (more this year), 25 get interview invites and 15 get admitted.

It was group interviews of about 4-5 students and 1-2 professors with 4 rounds- each 30 minutes. The actual interview rounds were not structured- depending on the professor they could have prepared questions, or the professor could simply sit back and ask the students to ask any questions they had. It was not an intense day of interviews but rather a time for the professors and applicants to get to know each other.

Some people met with professors the next day but that depended on whether you were contacted by a professor to set something up. Otherwise you only needed to attend the one day of interviews.

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, sheriberi said:

Has anyone here applied for an MA at GSEIS? I'm waiting to hear back about the SSCE masters program.

I wonder why UCLA doesn't seem to get as many applicants as some of the other highly ranked education schools.

I applied for a PHD and there has still been no word about a decision yet. It probably means you will have to wait a bit longer. I can't think that they will hold out much longer, maybe in the next week or so. But obviously, that's just a gut feeling.

I just got my rejection letter from them today (HDP phd).. (My first official letter this round, although my professor at NYU told me I didn't get in there yest)... I knew it was coming since I didn't get invited to the interview although a small bit of me was hoping that it was because I was there for undergrad so they wanted to save money by not having to invite me to campus ??.

I guess it's true when they say UCLA doesn't want its own undergrads. ?? at least for meee. But it's fine since there was only one prof there that I sort of matched with... They don't do much with Bilingual ED at UCLA ? 

7 minutes ago, edu_21 said:

I woke up this morning to an email stating that they are acknowledging receipt of my application. Did anyone else get this email?

Yes! I just came here to see if anyone knows what that means...Does that mean they haven't even reviewed it yet or that the decision is coming soon or what?

10 minutes ago, sheriberi said:

Yes! I just came here to see if anyone knows what that means...Does that mean they haven't even reviewed it yet or that the decision is coming soon or what?

I'm not sure exactly. It seems really odd that they would send us this when clearly they have already reviewed most applications by now. Be interested to see if someone contacts them to find out more...

1 hour ago, edu_21 said:

I'm not sure exactly. It seems really odd that they would send us this when clearly they have already reviewed most applications by now. Be interested to see if someone contacts them to find out more...

I think maybe it's because they are working with a new application platform and perhaps are figuring things out (like maybe they figured out how to mark apps as read, and it sent an automated email?). Either way, the email scared the crud out of me this morning! What concentrations are you all waiting to hear back from?

32 minutes ago, Basil23 said:

I think maybe it's because they are working with a new application platform and perhaps are figuring things out (like maybe they figured out how to mark apps as read, and it sent an automated email?). Either way, the email scared the crud out of me this morning! What concentrations are you all waiting to hear back from?

Urban Schooling PHD