What led you to audiology?

AB121212

So out of curiosity, when you guys first started undergrad, were you always intending to do the audiology track? Or were you originally going for SLP/something else?

I started out just with linguistics, added the speech&hearing science major with the intent to do SLP (because I didn't think I'd easily find an actual linguistics job), then accidentally fell in love with all my audiology classes....

Edited by AB121212
sounded weird

What led me to Audiology, was when I became hearing impaired myself as a child! I always loved watching my own audiologist do her job and she inspired me to want to be an audiologist! I also wanted to be an audiologist because of my grandma she complains about her hearing even when she has her hearing aids in and I eventually want to work with a team to create more solutions to help with nerve damage!  I did consider speech pathology as a career but I had more experience with Audiology!

I'm actually graduating with my bachelors in Comm Dis, and I thought speech therapy is what I wanted to do at first, but my Audiology professor's passion for Audiology inspired me and made me more interested in the field of Audiology! I'm hoping in the long run I'll be able to go on mission trips to help others in countries where they don't have the funds or technology to get hearing aids and services. 

I was always on the fence between audiology and speech language pathology. But as I've learned more about SLP and explored audiology I took the leap from the SLP side to the AuD side. I actually saw an audiologist as a child and this personal connection made the field more and more interesting. I have a recent interest in veterans so a few of the schools I applied to have a tie with the VA for clinicals. I also wants to go abroad and use my audiology work as a missionary, which is why 2 of the schools I applies to have study abroad options for audiology. 

Edited by argonzalez8

I'm a bit of a non-traditional student who returned to school after 5 years. I didn't know what I wanted to do when I graduated high school. I got married and moved to where I now live in search of a 9-5 job. I got hired as an admin at a speech and hearing clinic. I knew nothing about speech and didn't know audiology even existed surprisingly. I saw what the Audiologists did and fell in love with it. I went back to school and am finishing my bachelors in Communication sciences and Disorders this May! It's been a long road for me but even though it took forever to find I out what I loved, I wouldn't change a thing in this crazy journey. 

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

After being diagnosed with an Acoustic Neuroma/Vestibular Schwannoma following a decade of symptoms (vertigo, balance, tinnitus, facial numbness, migraines) I had brain surgery to remove the tumor. I’m deaf in my right ear. It wasn’t as difficult to adjust as I assumed it would be, which is forever a blessing. Although, not easy, it does give me a greater understanding for the hearing impaired and it also helps me fuel my new found passion and purpose. I struggle with balance but I’m doing so well and I’m also recovering from facial paralysis. I want to help, give hope, and find these tumors.  They are life shattering, life altering, and life changing. I’m doing so well by the grace of God and my purpose is to help others. I want to also go on mission trips and help those that do not have the advantages we have here in america. To give someone hearing it’s to give them freedom. It gives them hope. I love that!! ? 

My major started in Psychology but now is in COMD and my minor is in Psych. I love both fields SO much. I’m glad that I have the ability and drive to live through my misfortune and turn it into a purpose and passion. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/29/2018 at 9:00 AM, AB121212 said:

So out of curiosity, when you guys first started undergrad, were you always intending to do the audiology track? Or were you originally going for SLP/something else?

I started out just with linguistics, added the speech&hearing science major with the intent to do SLP (because I didn't think I'd easily find an actual linguistics job), then accidentally fell in love with all my audiology classes....

OMG it is almost exactly the same for me! I started out with Anthropology and was disappointed when I found out my school had limited options for linguistic anthropology. So then I added a Spanish Major and then a Linguistic minor when the English Department expanded during my senior year. I graduated, started pursuing a teaching license for Spanish and realized that wasn't for me and I was just doing it because it seemed like the next logical step. I thought about SLP because I had always enjoyed tutoring and then I could just combine that with linguistics. So now, I'm a year into all of the prerequisites I need in order to apply for a Masters SLP program and realize I'd rather to Audiology.

After thinking about it though it makes sense, I always loved phonetics more than morphology and syntax and when tutoring, I hated doing ELA and always volunteered for the STEM kids.