University of Toronto - 2018

BooksUponBooks

Hey all! I thought I'd make a topic where all of us starting at UofT this fall could connect and discuss! 

Program: Master of Information (iSchool)

Concentration (if relevant): Library and Information Science

Campus: St. George

I can't wait to hear from more of you! ^_^ Best of luck to all applicants!

16 hours ago, Vallhala said:

Hi! Do you have any idea when they send out acceptance emails? I applied by the Jan 31 deadline.

Hi there! It is my understanding that they begin sending most acceptances at the beginning of March! I had to ask them for an early consideration, however, due to a timing situation I had. I wouldn't expect anything for another month unless you need an early consideration :)

What's your concentration?

On 2/2/2018 at 7:33 PM, BooksUponBooks said:

Hey all! I thought I'd make a topic where all of us starting at UofT this fall could connect and discuss! 

I can't wait to hear from more of you! ^_^ Best of luck to all applicants!

Hi @BooksUponBooks,

Congrats on your acceptance! I'll be starting at the Department for the Study of Religion as a doctoral student so pretty excited about that!

Does your faculty have a visit weekend coming up in Feb/March?

12 hours ago, torontonian27 said:

Hi @BooksUponBooks,

Congrats on your acceptance! I'll be starting at the Department for the Study of Religion as a doctoral student so pretty excited about that!

Does your faculty have a visit weekend coming up in Feb/March?

Hi! Congrats yourself, that's awesome! :) Have your previously attended UofT or is this your first time? It's my first time, so I'm pretty nervous about fitting into the culture LOL my undergraduate school is very different.

I know they have a student-run open house in February, but I haven't heard about any days where we might actually get to meet the faculty, which is honestly something I'd love to do! My semester was too busy in the fall and January to visit the information days, but I might look around for more dates!

57 minutes ago, BooksUponBooks said:

Hi! Congrats yourself, that's awesome! :) Have your previously attended UofT or is this your first time? It's my first time, so I'm pretty nervous about fitting into the culture LOL my undergraduate school is very different.

I know they have a student-run open house in February, but I haven't heard about any days where we might actually get to meet the faculty, which is honestly something I'd love to do! My semester was too busy in the fall and January to visit the information days, but I might look around for more dates!

Haha, where are you from? I have been in Toronto for a decade, and at UofT for most of it so I feel right at home. That being said, Toronto (in general) is quite welcoming and I am sure you will fit right in! 

The MI is a great program, and highly rated by some of the librarians I've worked with (as a student assistant) so there's that! I'm sure that the open house will have some faculty interaction, so that might be a good opportunity to interact and mingle :)

3 hours ago, torontonian27 said:

Haha, where are you from? I have been in Toronto for a decade, and at UofT for most of it so I feel right at home. That being said, Toronto (in general) is quite welcoming and I am sure you will fit right in! 

The MI is a great program, and highly rated by some of the librarians I've worked with (as a student assistant) so there's that! I'm sure that the open house will have some faculty interaction, so that might be a good opportunity to interact and mingle :)

I live just an hour north of the city, in a tiny hamlet between Barrie and Newmarket. I'm right on the GO Transit Barrie line, so I've been commuting to YorkU for the past 4 years. :) Fortunately, I pop down to the city to meet friends on a regular basis, so I'm pretty familiar with Toronto itself, just not the St. George campus! 

I'm really glad to hear that about the program-- my dad's coworker attended the iSchool and had glowing remarks about the faculty, so I'm really excited to begin!

Will you be attending an open house/information session of some kind?

1 hour ago, BooksUponBooks said:

I live just an hour north of the city, in a tiny hamlet between Barrie and Newmarket. I'm right on the GO Transit Barrie line, so I've been commuting to YorkU for the past 4 years. :) Fortunately, I pop down to the city to meet friends on a regular basis, so I'm pretty familiar with Toronto itself, just not the St. George campus! 

I'm really glad to hear that about the program-- my dad's coworker attended the iSchool and had glowing remarks about the faculty, so I'm really excited to begin!

Will you be attending an open house/information session of some kind?

My department is having a meet and greet weekend in March, so will pop by for some free lunch. ^_^

Hi all! Just got my offer (which I will likely accept) for a five-year funding package in the history department. I'm from Burlington, Ont. originally and I'm stoked to be coming back to the GTA after five years in Montreal. I saw a few other history acceptances pop up on the results page so I figured I would post here to link up with future colleagues!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I just received an offer for the 5-year PhD in Philosophy at UofT. I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools, but I really like what Toronto's program has to offer. I'll be attending the graduate research weekend mid-March, hope to see others there!

• 4 weeks later...

Newly accepted as of this week! This was the only program I applied to, so I will definitely be accepting. Very excited for September, but a bit daunted by the big move to Toronto.

Edited to add: I won't be able to make it to the official meet and greet on April 7th, but I'll be in town on Easter weekend and am hoping to see campus then :) 

Edited by Charlotte La Bouff

On 3/16/2018 at 2:37 PM, Charlotte La Bouff said:

Newly accepted as of this week! This was the only program I applied to, so I will definitely be accepting. Very excited for September, but a bit daunted by the big move to Toronto.

Edited to add: I won't be able to make it to the official meet and greet on April 7th, but I'll be in town on Easter weekend and am hoping to see campus then :) 

Ahhh that's so exciting! I guess we'll be seeing each other this fall! I live outside the city, so if you're looking for cheaper rent I can confirm the commute is doable! Where are you moving from? :) 

On 3/17/2018 at 4:53 PM, BooksUponBooks said:

Ahhh that's so exciting! I guess we'll be seeing each other this fall! I live outside the city, so if you're looking for cheaper rent I can confirm the commute is doable! Where are you moving from? :) 

I'm moving from BC! Toronto is such a massive, sprawling city compared to the places I've lived, so it's a bit daunting trying to figure out neighbourhoods. I'm looking forward to testing out some commutes on my upcoming trip :)

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I've also been accepted into UofT.

Concentration: User Experience Design

I would love to connect with others joining the program in Fall 2018.

Hey guys, this is a facebook group for students joining the Master of Information program at the University of Toronto, for fall 2018-2020.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/439779059796965/

Feel free to join, and share the link with others who have decided to join the program.

15 hours ago, MD24593 said:

Hey guys, this is a facebook group for students joining the Master of Information program at the University of Toronto, for fall 2018-2020.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/439779059796965/

Feel free to join, and share the link with others who have decided to join the program.

Thank you, MD! Hopefully we can rally the troops and connect with some more MI/MMST students! :)