MPA/MPP Applications, Fall 2018 (Canada)

1 hour ago, Grad1111 said:

Ok thanks... The waiting is killing me!

I feel you. My applications were submitted in November and I feel like my life has been on pause ever since. Crossing my fingers that we hear back sooner rather than later =)

Hi Everyone,

I was offered admission to SFU on Feb. 27 with $3,250 in funding and was sent an email from UVic informing me that they will be offering me admission next week and will be recommending me for $10,000 in funding this morning, so the offers are (finally) coming from Victoria.  

I'd love to hear what your collective thoughts are on the two schools.  From what I've read, it seems like UVic balances policy and admin and is perhaps the more versatile degree where as SFU is strictly a policy program with more of an academic focus.  

I have been overseeing programs for vulnerable clients for the past 7 years.  My primary interest is in learning how to develop policy which is better able to help individuals like my clients as I have so often seen how inadequate our current policies can be and how are current programs are, at best, little more than bandaid solutions to very serious and complex issues.  However, I do have a secondary interest in the implementation of policy as I have seen how failings in that area also impact the vulnerable in a negative way.  So I feel like I'm a bit torn inI hope that makes sense.  

This study makes it sound like UVic is the more comprehensive school which balances both policy and administration: http://www.cappa.ca/images/accreditation/backgroundreports/gow-sutherland.pdf 

Edited by CrackerJibbs

4 hours ago, CrackerJibbs said:

I was offered admission to SFU on Feb. 27 with $3,250 in funding and was sent an email from UVic informing me that they will be offering me admission next week and will be recommending me for $10,000 in funding this morning, so the offers are (finally) coming from Victoria.  

Ah, my anxiety sky rocketed upon reading this. I guess the first wave of offers are out! 

Congrats on your funding offers! UVic is definitely a more comprehensive program but I think its policy streams are well rounded. SFU seems to be much more policy and research-orientated. If you want to develop public policy, then I think SFU may better align with your interests. However, UVic does offer policy-related courses as electives, so you would have opportunities to steer your UVic studies towards a policy concentration. 

I'm sure this helps you little, but based on what you've said, I think either program could meet your needs! :P Congrats again on your program offers! That's very exciting. 

53 minutes ago, megtree said:

Ah, my anxiety sky rocketed upon reading this. I guess the first wave of offers are out! 

Congrats on your funding offers! UVic is definitely a more comprehensive program but I think its policy streams are well rounded. SFU seems to be much more policy and research-orientated. If you want to develop public policy, then I think SFU may better align with your interests. However, UVic does offer policy-related courses as electives, so you would have opportunities to steer your UVic studies towards a policy concentration. 

I'm sure this helps you little, but based on what you've said, I think either program could meet your needs! :P Congrats again on your program offers! That's very exciting. 

I think that maybe UVic is sending out some notifications in advance of next week because of the upcoming SFU deadline, but that's just a guess.  

Thanks for your feedback on the different programs.  I spoke to some people from the UVic program when I was deciding which schools to apply to and they seemed to think that it had a lot of policy-related content.

1 hour ago, megtree said:

x1000. On Page 3, a bunch of folk got acceptance letters on March 7. That makes me worry even more that they might have been the second wave. I'm too young to die like this....

On 2/21/2018 at 4:56 PM, vsbp said:

Thanks! I applied back in December. And yes I had an email saying it was being sent for review. I received the admission email yesterday. I am a domestic applicant from Toronto. 

Good luck!

Hi

Do you mind telling me about your gpa, full time or part time and any working experience? I have applied to part time mppa at ryerson. Waiting to hear back applied as priority before deadline. Thanks! 

On 3/13/2018 at 10:34 AM, TOMPPA said:

I have no idea how many people apply, but hopefully we hear from them soon. 

I have applied to part time too and havent heard anything yet. Did you guys apply before Dec 11th 2017?

19 hours ago, Souell said:

Per Ryerson, they are finalizing admissions, decisions will be out at the end of the week. 

Thank you for sharing! Did you contact admissions? It seems that they are taking a lot longer than other schools. I think they were also quite slow last year...

1 hour ago, celineemilylg said:

Thank you for sharing! Did you contact admissions? It seems that they are taking a lot longer than other schools. I think they were also quite slow last year...

I did! I was a little amd  figured why not jusk ask! They were late last year but from what I can answers came in around the 10th so it was making me anxious! The person I spoke to said that they were finalizing admissions yesterday and would be sending out by the end of this week. 

1 hour ago, Souell said:

I did! I was a little amd  figured why not jusk ask! They were late last year but from what I can answers came in around the 10th so it was making me anxious! The person I spoke to said that they were finalizing admissions yesterday and would be sending out by the end of this week. 

Thank you for asking!

I was accepted to Ryerson for full-time studies on Friday (March 16) with the formal offer showing up on RAMSS yesterday with 3k in funding. I applied super late at the end of January. I was also accepted to U OF T with 3k in funding. 

On 3/12/2018 at 12:49 AM, Pound Cake said:

Don't think so. From what I've seen in past threads, 3k seems to be the standard amount of funding for students.

On 3/11/2018 at 8:40 PM, mppmgaapplicant2018 said:

Just the 3K that's offered at the time of admission. Are there additional scholarships that we can expect from the school?

Hey! I am a current student in the program. Actually, this year the school was very generous and provided additional funding for MPP1 students on OSAP depending on the amount a student's OSAP funding capped at. For example, some received up to about $7000 in addition to the scholarship offered by the School. This was similar to UTAPS in a sense. I'm not sure how SPPG came to the decision to implement this, but it was very surprising and students were VERY pleased.

Edited by YouniK

On 3/11/2018 at 5:36 PM, patel69 said:

THANK YOU...its like the only school i have a real chance

realize this is coming pretty late on my part, but I also felt that way.  I got into DAL and thought "ok guess I'm going there cause UofT and Carleton won't accept me" and then I got into both of them :)

On 3/11/2018 at 7:42 PM, Pound Cake said:

Okay, that's good to know. Thanks! What did you do for funding throughout the program? Apparently UTAPS is only available for the 2nd year of the MPP program, and I'm not eligible for OSAP since I'm not from Ontario. Are there any other possible funding sources for the MPP?

For those who just got accepted to UofT MPP, did you guys get offered any funding? I was told that my funding would be assessed at a later time...

Lots of us got extra funding kinda as a surprise (UTAPS is kinda confusing at this school TBH)

2 hours ago, YouniK said:

Hey! I am a current student in the program. Actually, this year the school was very generous and provided additional funding for MPP1 students on OSAP depending on the amount a student's OSAP funding capped at. For example, some received up to about $7000 in addition to the scholarship offered by the School. This was similar to UTAPS in a sense. I'm not sure how SPPG came to the decision to implement this, but it was very surprising and students were VERY pleased.

As another first year student I can confirm: we were all very happy to get extra money!

30 minutes ago, phmasters said:

realize this is coming pretty late on my part, but I also felt that way.  I got into DAL and thought "ok guess I'm going there cause UofT and Carleton won't accept me" and then I got into both of them :)