2010 Religion/Theology MA/MTS/MDiv Results

Jack Horner

Yeah, I was really frustrated when ND and UChicago wouldn't let me submit my writing sample. It was easily the strongest part of my application. More than GPA, GRE scores and LORs, a strong writing sample seems to be the part of any application that would be most indicative of potential success at the graduate level (especially in a field like Theology). Oh well, it's their program and they can choose to admit applicants based on whatever criteria they want to use. Still, the fact that they wouldn't consider a writing sample coupled with the major issues on their end with processing my application (my status still says "Incomplete"), and I'm neither surprised nor particularly disappointed to receive a rejection notice.

It's too bad though, because they have an excellent faculty.

I got rejected for the biblical studies MTS as well.. I dont mean to sound presumptuous but I was very surprised at the rejection. I felt that I was more than qualified for the program... weird!

Not too bummed about it but still, makes me wonder what it is they were looking for

I got rejected for the biblical studies MTS as well.. I dont mean to sound presumptuous but I was very surprised at the rejection. I felt that I was more than qualified for the program... weird!

Not too bummed about it but still, makes me wonder what it is they were looking for

Yeah, I felt that I was more than qualified for the program as well. Truth be told, Notre Dame probably wouldn't have been a perfect fit for my personality and research interests, and I was trying to make it work because of the subsidized tuition. Maybe my application made that abundantly clear?

I got acceptance letters today from Union Theological Seminary in New York (MDiv) and Pacific School of Religion in Berkeley, CA (MDiv).

Congrats!

Also, I just received a phone call from Duke saying that I've been accepted to their MTS.

Has anyone who has heard from Duke MTS heard about scholarships? I asked on the phone when they told me of my acceptance and said that if I received anything, I would get a call from the director of admissions. If you know whether such calls have already gone out, it would satisfy my craving for information. Thanks.

Has anyone who has heard from Duke MTS heard about scholarships? I asked on the phone when they told me of my acceptance and said that if I received anything, I would get a call from the director of admissions. If you know whether such calls have already gone out, it would satisfy my craving for information. Thanks.

I know that this doesn't provide any insight about your question, but Duke's MTS program is notoriously underfunded (at least that's the picture that I've been getting from a variety of different sources), so I wouldn't hold out much hope for a substantial award.

Wait, how did you already hear from duke about the MTS?

as far as the funding goes, essentially consider yourself applying for one of 5-6 spots which offer full tuition scholarships. The rest give you like 33% funding.

Does anyone know if Boston College STM posts results online at all? I'm fairly sure that they'll reject me, but it is taking an awfully long time to hear back.

I received an acceptance package almost a week ago, only 5 days after my application was complete. They seemed to be pretty on top of things every time I contacted them (unlike Notre Dame).

Wait, how did you already hear from duke about the MTS?

as far as the funding goes, essentially consider yourself applying for one of 5-6 spots which offer full tuition scholarships. The rest give you like 33% funding.

Check the results board...there are a few people who have heard via phone.

Has anyone heard anything from Chicago? Apparently, they were going to send out letters on Friday. I'm guessing they'll be trickling in between now and next week.

Also, I'm guessing that Harvard will be posting their decisions either on Friday or Monday (unless they decide to put them up late night Thursday like they did last year).

Ugh, this week is crawling by...

I completely agree that this week is crawling by. After that person posted on the results page that Chicago would send out letters last week, I have been on pins and needles. Maybe today is the day....

I completely agree that this week is crawling by. After that person posted on the results page that Chicago would send out letters last week, I have been on pins and needles. Maybe today is the day....

My fingers are crossed. After I saw that post, and then one advising people to call, I called UChi, and they said that letters hadn't yet gone out. At this point, I have no idea whether that means that just acceptance letters have gone out, or whether they just thought that they were going to send out letters last week and then didn't.

I guess I hope that we both get letters today!

I wish I knew they were calling. The number I provided was my grandparents who dont have an answering machine and I spent the entire day in the hospital with my grandpa so I have no way of knowing if they called. I'm too chicken to call them up and ask. I just got a n email from Candler offering me a merit scholarship award of even less than the minimum advertised on the website, so I'm a bit discouraged.

My fingers are crossed. After I saw that post, and then one advising people to call, I called UChi, and they said that letters hadn't yet gone out. At this point, I have no idea whether that means that just acceptance letters have gone out, or whether they just thought that they were going to send out letters last week and then didn't.

I guess I hope that we both get letters today!

I was the one who posted the thing about withdrawing from U Chicago and being told I was accepted. That was for the AM program. The one that said to call was for the PhD program. They do each degree separately I think; so while you might be able to call for the PhD program results, they might well wait a few days for the other results. Or, for all I know, they admit people to the AM program by interest. Anyway, notice that all the PhD acceptees were contacted on the 26/27th. No one has posted an AM result yet from Chicago so until like two days after that happens (because apparently it's by postal mail) I wouldn't worry too much about it. In past years, as I'm sure you know, people heard in past years more like the 13th than the 10th. Good luck to you all! Don't fret yet.