Should I trust an unofficial offer ??

CAguy

Hi all, I have received an official offer from school A with a deadline on Feb. 27th. Recently, a POI from school B (my 1st preference) gave me an unofficial offer and told me that he has asked the grad office to send me the offer, however school B won't be able to generate the offer before Feb.27th (school regulations).

So, should I ask for an extension at school A ? or should I trust POI at school B and decline my offer at A ?

22 minutes ago, TheWillToDo said:

This is a tough one! But if I may ask, would there be any legal consequences against you if you accept school A's offer and decline at a later date when school B finally gives out official offer?

if there would not be any legal consequences against you then I would suggest you accept it to be on a safer part. 27 Feb. is just 2 days ahead.

Depending on how big your field/research of interest is- this is a good way to get black listed from future professional opportunities.

OP ask for an extension and explain you still need full information from other schools in order to make a decision. If they turn it down, tell your first choice POI of your dilemma, he may be able to convince the department to extend an official offer. 

Hello, 

I'd like to share a personal experience to help answer your question. I applied to a Clinical Psychology program at a Canadian university. My application was re-directed to a different advisor than the one I applied to work with due to a personal crisis with my initial POI. Basically, my application made it into the new POI's hands after she had already completed her interviews. She told me that she had already chosen a student to admit and had given this other student a verbal unofficial commitment. I'm saddened for this other student to say that after my interview with this new POI she decided she would actually like to admit be more and because nothing was officially official yet with this other student, that's just what he did. I am now a master's student under this POI's advisorship and this other student who was given unofficial acceptance is not. I know this sounds terrible but grad school is terribly competitive and you must take whatever advantage you can get. 

The moral of the story here is that you should definitely ask school A for an extension to make your decision. They will almost always grant this to a student they are perusing. Don't take anything unofficial with credibility. 

Good luck with your decision!!

2 hours ago, cochra13 said:

Hello, 

I'd like to share a personal experience to help answer your question. I applied to a Clinical Psychology program at a Canadian university. My application was re-directed to a different advisor than the one I applied to work with due to a personal crisis with my initial POI. Basically, my application made it into the new POI's hands after she had already completed her interviews. She told me that she had already chosen a student to admit and had given this other student a verbal unofficial commitment. I'm saddened for this other student to say that after my interview with this new POI she decided she would actually like to admit be more and because nothing was officially official yet with this other student, that's just what he did. I am now a master's student under this POI's advisorship and this other student who was given unofficial acceptance is not. I know this sounds terrible but grad school is terribly competitive and you must take whatever advantage you can get. 

The moral of the story here is that you should definitely ask school A for an extension to make your decision. They will almost always grant this to a student they are perusing. Don't take anything unofficial with credibility. 

Good luck with your decision!!

I had a similar experience applying to my Canadian MSc programs too. After getting an offer letter, I was told that I could be admitted to work with one of two professors subject to availability. The letter said I should decide as soon as possible but didn't give a deadline on when to choose which POI. When I inquired, I was told that professors are always reviewing other applicants so while the offer letter for admission to the department was valid for a good long time, the openings as RAs for specific profs are up to each prof. So, I had to decide as soon as I was ready to commit. Luckily for me, the prof was someone that also wanted to hire me, so they said they would check with me before making an offer to someone else. Communication is important!

I have recently sent my 1st preference at school B to ask him if my offer is guaranteed, and he replied with "yes" and that he already asked the admissions to send me an offer. Yesterday, I sent school A for extension, but don't know if this too late to ask for an extension (official offer expires tomorrow). Anyways, I'm waiting for their reply today.

Thank you all for your useful advice ! 

43 minutes ago, Oawad said:

I have recently sent my 1st preference at school B to ask him if my offer is guaranteed, and he replied with "yes" and that he already asked the admissions to send me an offer. Yesterday, I sent school A for extension, but don't know if this too late to ask for an extension (official offer expires tomorrow). Anyways, I'm waiting for their reply today.

Thank you all for your useful advice ! 

It sounds like your offer at B is safe, but I would still try to get an extension from A until you have the official official offer from B. Asking for an extension one day before is a bit late but hopefully it will work out. If not, and they cancel your offer from A, at the very least it seems like you are safe with B.