Arizona State University

Hello all!

As admittance letters are rolling in, has anyone heard about funding for ASU?  I emailed the Speech grad department about it and she told me that they only give funding to "highest ranked students" after review is complete.

Do they usually give them out in the admission letters? Or after they already accept you? 

I am a bit confused because I also received an email for an invitation for "Top Admit Open House."

I’m curious about funding as well as I was also invited to the too admit open house. I am hoping to find out before the decision date because I will not be attending without any funding. 

Side note: Has anyone made an admitted students Facebook page yet??

I don't think that anyone received funding offers with admittance, at least I haven't heard of any one getting any info yet. I'm curious as well since the only way I'd be able to afford the school is with some sort of assistantship. :P I also got an invite to the open house. I wonder if it's a good idea to go for funding offers and such

23 hours ago, SayRuhh said:

Ahh it sucks that we all have to rely on funding; they should just make school more affordable smh. 

I was thinking the same thing about going to the open house @snoves I would go myself, but flights from Ohio are around $500 ? 

Seriously. Or offer more funding! I'd love to come for the bilingual program but I can't afford that first year of tuition without an assistantship lol. Being out of state sucks ass! Luckily I'm down in SoCal for school so it's a 4 1/2 hour drive for me (which is still going to be ~$60 in gas, but no where near $500! :wacko:) and I'm hoping I can stay with distant relatives/friends for the night. If push comes to shove I figure I can always drive down that morning and make it into a day trip.

I honestly really think I'd love their program, it truly is a money thing for me. But I already owe money for undergrad and I don't want to be in debt hell/living with my parents to pay off loans for my entire adult life :S

Edited by snoves

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I also got into ASU and I'm highly considering them for their bilingual program. I was wondering if anyone else got an email inviting them to apply to the PrISMS grant, it's a multilingual/multicultural program (separate from the bilingual track). The application is due March 22nd, and I'm still waiting to hear from a couple other programs, so I'm not sure if I can apply without knowing if I'm going to accept or not.  Anyways, I was just curious if they sent that out to everyone or possibly only people that indicated interest in bilingualism or top admits?

thanks!

@rsolo I also received that email yesterday, however I am not interested in their bilingual or multicultural program. I'm also almost certain that I'm not going to get any funding from this school, so I won't be attending :(

@rsoloI also got the email! I think they sent it out to everyone. I submitted it even though I'm not sure if I'll be accepting or not...I figure it can't hurt to have it out there if I do end up deciding to go!

1 hour ago, snoves said:

@rsoloI also got the email! I think they sent it out to everyone. I submitted it even though I'm not sure if I'll be accepting or not...I figure it can't hurt to have it out there if I do end up deciding to go!

I actually end up talking to one of the clinical professors on the phone today and I asked if it was ok to apply if I wasn't sure if I was accepting or not and she said it was fine! I'm gonna go ahead and apply too, but I probably won't be making a decision before the open house. 

Hi all! I also got accepted to ASU and am strongly considering it for their bilingual program. I got the email about the prisms grant and will definitely be applying. I am however very torn between ASU and UT-Austin so finding out about some funding would definitely make a difference. I will definitely be attending the open house because I'm hoping that will help me make my final decision. Does anyone know when we would find out about any possible funding or when the decisions about the Prisms grant? If anyone made a fb page I would also love to join! If not I can maybe make one!

1 hour ago, FLSLP2018 said:

Hi all! I also got accepted to ASU and am strongly considering it for their bilingual program. I got the email about the prisms grant and will definitely be applying. I am however very torn between ASU and UT-Austin so finding out about some funding would definitely make a difference. I will definitely be attending the open house because I'm hoping that will help me make my final decision. Does anyone know when we would find out about any possible funding or when the decisions about the Prisms grant? If anyone made a fb page I would also love to join! If not I can maybe make one!

I'm not sure about funding! The website states that there is no departmental funding, but then others have heard they have a limited amount of scholarships. I'm out of state so I am also hoping for some sort of funding that will at least waive out of state tuition fees. Otherwise I'm going to whatever school offers me funding/is in state.

I'm also going to the Open House, so I guess I'll see you there! :)

12 hours ago, snoves said:

I'm not sure about funding! The website states that there is no departmental funding, but then others have heard they have a limited amount of scholarships. I'm out of state so I am also hoping for some sort of funding that will at least waive out of state tuition fees. Otherwise I'm going to whatever school offers me funding/is in state.

I'm also going to the Open House, so I guess I'll see you there! :)

Yes I have heard that there is a limited amount of departmental funding but have not heard anything about when they allocate the funds. I'm out of state also but am deciding between ASU and UT so either way those are both out of state for me. Either way I will be in debt but fortunately I have no undergrad debt but I am still trying to consider which school would be less expensive. 

See you at the open house! I'm very excited :) 

3 hours ago, FLSLP2018 said:

Yes I have heard that there is a limited amount of departmental funding but have not heard anything about when they allocate the funds. I'm out of state also but am deciding between ASU and UT so either way those are both out of state for me. Either way I will be in debt but fortunately I have no undergrad debt but I am still trying to consider which school would be less expensive. 

See you at the open house! I'm very excited :) 

I feel you! I have more debt than I really wanted from undergrad so I'm trying to keep the debt I incur from grad school to a minimum. I'm sure I'm going to have to live at home for a bit so  I can focus on paying them off quickly but it'd be nice if i could limit that time lol. Congrats on your acceptances and I'll see you there!! :D

18 hours ago, FLSLP2018 said:

I feel you on this! I'm deciding between ASU and UT as well. It seems like there were a few scholarships available but the deadline to apply was Feb 1st. I know UT Austin does give out merit-based out-of-state tuition waivers, but I think they might not give those out until after you accept their offer, but I'm not sure. 

7 hours ago, rsolo said:

I feel you on this! I'm deciding between ASU and UT as well. It seems like there were a few scholarships available but the deadline to apply was Feb 1st. I know UT Austin does give out merit-based out-of-state tuition waivers, but I think they might not give those out until after you accept their offer, but I'm not sure. 

I wasn't aware of any scholarship due before Feb 1st but oh well. They do not give out the tuition waivers before you accept the offer. In fact, I don't think you find out about those until after you already get there! Are you applying for the bilingual program? I'm also curious what your pros and cons between the two schools are?! I'm so torn between the two!

2 hours ago, FLSLP2018 said:

I wasn't aware of any scholarship due before Feb 1st but oh well. They do not give out the tuition waivers before you accept the offer. In fact, I don't think you find out about those until after you already get there! Are you applying for the bilingual program? I'm also curious what your pros and cons between the two schools are?! I'm so torn between the two!

Yes I'm applying for bilingual! That's what drew me to both programs in the first place. I'm also potentially interested in doing research as I did research in undergrad. I was really intrigued by UT's Habla lab so I was super bummed to hear it's closing in June because that was a big pro for me. I've already had the opportunity to visit both schools and was honestly impressed with both. The faculty I met at ASU were all so kind and I love the pediatric focus since I'm pretty certain I want to work with elementary or younger. They also have several labs doing research that interest me. I didn't get to spend a lot of time in Tempe/Phoenix when I visited a couple years ago, so I don't really know what the area is like. The heat is a big concern from me. I can't imagine over 100 degree weather all summer long! For UT, pros for me are the bilingual focus and they're known for their research. Their research and clinical facilities are amazing, although with their bilingual lab closing there's not as much research that aligns with my interests, so that's a con. Austin seems like a pretty cool, funky city and I could see myself living there. 

I'm excited by the potential of the PRISMS grant at ASU and the FINC grant at UT, since both really align with my interests: bilingualism and children. Unfortunately, I doubt I'll know in time to factor that into my decision. Honestly on program alone, I really feel like I can't go wrong!

Edited by rsolo

On 3/12/2018 at 11:52 PM, rsolo said:

Yes I'm applying for bilingual! That's what drew me to both programs in the first place. I'm also potentially interested in doing research as I did research in undergrad. I was really intrigued by UT's Habla lab so I was super bummed to hear it's closing in June because that was a big pro for me. I've already had the opportunity to visit both schools and was honestly impressed with both. The faculty I met at ASU were all so kind and I love the pediatric focus since I'm pretty certain I want to work with elementary or younger. They also have several labs doing research that interest me. I didn't get to spend a lot of time in Tempe/Phoenix when I visited a couple years ago, so I don't really know what the area is like. The heat is a big concern from me. I can't imagine over 100 degree weather all summer long! For UT, pros for me are the bilingual focus and they're known for their research. Their research and clinical facilities are amazing, although with their bilingual lab closing there's not as much research that aligns with my interests, so that's a con. Austin seems like a pretty cool, funky city and I could see myself living there. 

I'm excited by the potential of the PRISMS grant at ASU and the FINC grant at UT, since both really align with my interests: bilingualism and children. Unfortunately, I doubt I'll know in time to factor that into my decision. Honestly on program alone, I really feel like I can't go wrong!

Haha! We have the same interests!! I am certain I want to do peds and bilingualism. Was also bummed about the HABLA lab closing. I have never been to Tempe or visited the program so I am going to the upcoming open house in hopes that it will help me make my decision but I'm also concerned that it's going to make my decision even harder! 

One thing that my mom said to me when I expressed my concerns about the heat was that you're going to be going from your air conditioned house to your air conditioned car/bus to the air conditioned clinic or wherever else it is that you're going. I agree with feeling like you can't go wrong though! Keep me updated on where you choose :) 

On March 12, 2018 at 11:52 PM, rsolo said:

Hello! I can comment on the weather aspect. I have visited and spent a lot of time in Tucson and Phoenix (Tempe is very near to Phoenix) during the heat of the summer and I can attest that while it is hot, it is not so bad! I am not sure where you are coming from, but if you are coming from a very humid place I think you will appreciate the dry heat. Everywhere has air conditioning and even air misters, so you really don't feel the heat too much. Plus it is beautiful out there! 

Hey guys, for those of you attending the open house:

1) What are you wearing? I was planning to go business casual but I'm not sure if that's too dressed up...I also know that it's supposed to rain which is going to be super humid!!

2) Have any of you guys received the additional info on the walking tour?

Thanks!!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/12/2018 at 10:52 PM, rsolo said:

Do you know if the bilingual focus at ASU is only for Spanish or any language?