Current Grad Student Answers

Hi everyone! 

I saw another graduate student posting about any questions that current applicants would like answered and I thought it was a great idea. I would love to share my experiences with you all if you have any questions or concerns, no matter how big or small they may be!

Ask me anything :)

On 2/25/2018 at 7:32 AM, SeaCai said:

What can we be doing in the meantime to productively prepare for graduate school life? 

So many programs want different things! You should figure out what your schools you are truly interested in and build your resume accordingly. Unfortunately it is impossible to please everybody. Really doing my research on what my programs wanted  gave me peace of mind and accurate goals to set. If you look at a programs website closely enough they will tell you what is the most important to them. Ask around, ask questions!

How did you survive the rejection? I was accepted into my second choice and waitlisted to my first. I know it will all work out the way it is supposed to, but the hope of being admitted has given me the worst anxiety. 

Will grad schools let people know if they're accepted at different times? Is that what the "wave" process is? And do all schools tell you if you're waitlisted? I'm so anxious in hearing back from a school that a few people have heard back from today!

On 3/4/2018 at 9:44 PM, Luna529 said:

How did you survive the rejection? I was accepted into my second choice and waitlisted to my first. I know it will all work out the way it is supposed to, but the hope of being admitted has given me the worst anxiety. 

I think everyone copes in different ways, so do what you feel you need to do to try and relax! You're so right that everything will work out in the end. In the mean time, practice self-care as you see fit and be proud of your acceptance :)

On 3/6/2018 at 2:18 PM, g_slp said:

Will grad schools let people know if they're accepted at different times? Is that what the "wave" process is? And do all schools tell you if you're waitlisted? I'm so anxious in hearing back from a school that a few people have heard back from today!

Some grad schools do send out decisions in "waves." Every school should contact you about some sort of decision. Not quite sure if I've heard of a school without a waitlist, but if you're on one, the school will tell you!

3 hours ago, TurboDog15 said:

Is there a rhyme or a reason to the waitlist, or is this essentially a “soft no”? Were any of your current classmates accepted off of the waitlist? I’ve been waitlisted at my top choice.. any guidance would be appreciated.. thanks! 

Yes, you can get off a waitlist! I've never discussed with my classmates whether they were on the waitlist, but there must be at least one student. Waitlists are there because they expect some people to decline - everyone can only attend one program, after all! :) 

1 hour ago, pbandj said:

I think everyone copes in different ways, so do what you feel you need to do to try and relax! You're so right that everything will work out in the end. In the mean time, practice self-care as you see fit and be proud of your acceptance :)

Some grad schools do send out decisions in "waves." Every school should contact you about some sort of decision. Not quite sure if I've heard of a school without a waitlist, but if you're on one, the school will tell you!

Yes, you can get off a waitlist! I've never discussed with my classmates whether they were on the waitlist, but there must be at least one student. Waitlists are there because they expect some people to decline - everyone can only attend one program, after all! :) 

Thank you ! 

• 5 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, aprilkookaburra said:

Hi! Where did you find the cost of application for each school? Were there any with no application fees? What is the average cost to apply to a school? 

Thanks!

Hi, I'm not a grad student (yet), but each school should say what the application fee is on their 'admissions' or 'FAQ' page. Mine were $55 to $60 each I believe. CSDCAS also requires a $125 fee plus additional fees per each school you apply to. Some schools have a double application, one through CSDCAS and one through their website. This gets pricey and pretty annoying. I'd also recommend going to grad school fairs and talking to the recruiters. Sometimes they'll offer fee waivers.