Deciding between Tufts and other MA programs

downwardabsolute

Hi all,

So, I got into NIU (my third choice, after Tufts and Oxford) with really great funding, and now I'm worrying about the likely possibility that I get into Tufts with significantly worse funding and have to choose between the two. I'm largely indifferent between the two programs, so I'm basically just deciding between better funding and better placement into PhD programs. 

In your opinion, is Tufts' placement so much better that one should be willing to take thousands in debt that I just wouldn't have to worry about if I go to NIU? Thank you so much. Also, apologies if this isn't the right place to post a thread like this. 

14 minutes ago, downwardabsolute said:

Hi all,

So, I got into NIU (my third choice, after Tufts and Oxford) with really great funding, and now I'm worrying about the likely possibility that I get into Tufts with significantly worse funding and have to choose between the two. I'm largely indifferent between the two programs, so I'm basically just deciding between better funding and better placement into PhD programs. 

In your opinion, is Tufts' placement so much better that one should be willing to take thousands in debt that I just wouldn't have to worry about if I go to NIU? Thank you so much. Also, apologies if this isn't the right place to post a thread like this. 

I just wanted to comment on the last bit. This is absolutely the right place. In fact, you're doing much better than others have done this year; you've posted a seperate thread about a specific issue, instead of embedding it in an irrelevant thread. Good on you. 

Edited by shadowyBeing

I didn't apply to Tufts, because it wasn't a good fit for me personally, but I would assume that NIU is probably better if you get funding. A further degree in philosophy isn't worth debt when you have a funded offer on the table! NIU has excellent placement as well, and it's likely where I'll be going if some miracle doesn't happen at the end of this season that results in me somehow getting into a top program.

Edited by soproperlybasic

I'm applying to PhD programs with a Tufts MA and good quantifiable qualifications otherwise. No offers yet. Not clear to me how much better prospects it would offer you than NIU or any other program.

Edited by prtrbd
trying to preserve anonymity

1 hour ago, downwardabsolute said:

In your opinion, is Tufts' placement so much better that one should be willing to take thousands in debt that I just wouldn't have to worry about if I go to NIU? 

I'm applying out of Tufts, and doing fairly well in this cycle. My answer to your question is no; it is not worth incurring a significant debt. Tufts is one among many excellent masters programs, and working well within any of them should get you within striking distance of strong programs. 

Having said that, it is worth noting that Tufts' funding has been getting better over the years. Particularly, if you have a rival offer that is well-funded, you can appeal to the department at Tufts to match that (this has worked in the past for some students, including me). If you have any specific questions about the Tufts MA, feel free to PM me. 

As someone hoping for your assistantship (assuming it's that, and not the tuition fee waiver), I say go for Tuffs!

But my best advice would be to stick with NIU + funding. I applied to NIU because of the frequency I saw their graduates in programs like USC and Rutgers. I haven't crunched the numbers, but based on my observations its comparable to Tuffs' placement at those schools, if not better.

The assistantship also comes with a stipend, so if you are frugal your living expenses are covered too.

Unless you can pay for the MA out of pocket (with parent's assistance, say), don't go for Tufts. Never go into debt for an MA in humanities. Never go into debt for philosophy.

Sure, you can go into debt if you're not risk averse, but since a PhD at a top 20 school won't guarantee you will have a way to pay for your debts, you have no reason to believe that a better placement is sufficient reason to adopt all that debt. If you were choosing between a funded no-name MA with poor placement and an unfunded Tufts, I might go as far as say re-apply. Thankfully, NIU is well recognized for being all around good.

If you've got the assistantship at Tufts, then obviously this warning won't apply =)

Edited by Duns Eith

Like others have said, it's not worth the debt. Even if you get a job in philosophy at the end of the line--and that's a big if!--you won't exactly be making bank, and you'll probably want to spend money on starting a family, buying a car, etc.. You don't want to be saddled with that debt.

NIU has an absolutely fantastic program. IMO they're easily one of the best in the US (maybe even the best).They're funding you, so stick with them. You'll get a solid and comprehensive education, and be well prepared for PhD admissions.

7 minutes ago, downwardabsolute said:

Since there have been unexpected developments: would anyone's advice change if I were to replace Tufts with the Oxford BPhil? 

If I could afford it, I would totally go for the BPhil at Oxford over NIU. As good as NIU's placement record is, I think the BPhil is the better choice in the long run. It'll make better your prospects of getting into a good doctoral program later on, which will help job prospects, and so on... Plus, if you end up pursuing an non-academic career instead, it's obvious that the Bphil at Oxford would benefit you a lot more. It could even just warrant a more careful look on your resume. 

At any rate, I definitely think you should consider doing the Bphil over NIU more than considering to choose Tufts over either.

It’s probably not a good idea to take debt for an MA, but if you’re comfortable with doing so or can cover (most of) the cost of the program then that changes things. NIU seems to be a strong program and places well. Maybe courses/fit matter. NIU has already posted their tentative course offerings for next academic year, so you can see if they will be offering courses you’re interested in taking. Maybe Tufts has posted this/has it available as well. I haven’t checked. I am inclined to choose Tufts if I get accepted, but I do not have any debt from undergrad, so it wouldn’t be the end of the world if I took some now (although this could end up being the wrong decision).

3 hours ago, iunoionnis said:

Let's not be too hasty here. Some things are.

If there is anything that it is for masters programs, surely it'd be the BPhil at Oxford. You'd get the chance to interact with some of the top scholars in many subfields within philosophy, and though I'm not one to grant credibility to prestige on its own, I would not underestimate at all how much prestige can open doors for you. It's not just Oxford, but the Bphil degree in particular has that prestige. You may be able to get into at top 10-15 after attending NIU, though if you take a look at their placement record, I think it's likely that the BPhil more frequently places their students in those types of programs. Not to take away anything from NIU though, it's clearly one of the best terminal programs in the US. I think that the BPhil is just that much better the US masters programs

Edited by incredulous_stare

4 minutes ago, incredulous_stare said:

If there is anything that it is for masters programs, surely it'd be the BPhil at Oxford. You'd get the chance to interact with some of the top scholars in many subfields within philosophy, and though I'm not one to grant credibility to prestige on its own, I would not underestimate at all how much prestige can open doors for you. It's not just Oxford, but the Bphil degree in particular has that prestige. You may be able to get into at top 10-15 after attending NIU, though if you take a look at their placement record, I think it's likely that the BPhil more frequently places their students in those types of programs. Not to take away anything from NIU though, they're clearly one of the best terminal programs in the US. I just think that the BPhil is just that much better the US masters programs

I have never heard of either of these, but I will say that I did a MA at one of the top programs and it worked out well for me. If you can afford it or don't care about debt, then go for it. 

Edited by iunoionnis