Finding Clinical Masters Programs

RidiculousResearcher

Hi all!

After being rejected by 2 PhD programs and interviewing at one nonfunded program, I'm planning my attack for next cycle. I'm diversifying my PhD applications (all in clinical) but will be working for the next year in a clinical rather than research setting, so also want to hedge my bets by applying to some Masters programs in clinical psychology.

Does anyone have any quality resources for finding Clinical Masters programs?  I was advised to look at universities with APA accredited PhD/PsyD programs and see if they have any masters programs but that doesn't include other quality programs without PsyD/PhD options and it would take a lot of time (I've already gone through all accredited PhD programs in the US). I'd spend the time if necessary, but would rather spend that time in other projects if possible!

Secondarily: how did you find your program?

Cheers!

17 hours ago, psych0 said:

Did you only apply to 3 PhD programs? That's a big no—most successful applicants apply to 10+.

I'm well aware, and there were circumstances at the time that made that all that was feasible for me. Thus why I'm asking about resources for looking into the next cycle! Do you have any sources? Thanks.

The best advice that I can think of is to look at the researchers publishing within your field of interest and seeing what universities they are affiliated with. If your ultimate goal is PhD and you really want to get the master's first, then you want to be in a lab that is within your area of interest. Clinical programs still heavily look at your research experience, including posters and publications, and you could potentially bolster that more through the master's program. 

1 hour ago, Acharvon said:

I'm well aware, and there were circumstances at the time that made that all that was feasible for me. Thus why I'm asking about resources for looking into the next cycle! Do you have any sources? Thanks.

Is your goal to stop at a masters or do you want to use it as a stepping stone to a phd?

On 2/26/2018 at 12:28 PM, psych0 said:

Is your goal to stop at a masters or do you want to use it as a stepping stone to a phd?

I'm hoping to use it as a stepping stone. My goal is to do clinically-based research. I'd be open to doing a terminal masters if the program aligned with my practice interests, but ideally I'd like the option to continue on (especially since I will be applying to PhD programs as well, that's the ultimate goal!)

On 2/26/2018 at 12:00 PM, Hk328 said:

The best advice that I can think of is to look at the researchers publishing within your field of interest and seeing what universities they are affiliated with. If your ultimate goal is PhD and you really want to get the master's first, then you want to be in a lab that is within your area of interest. Clinical programs still heavily look at your research experience, including posters and publications, and you could potentially bolster that more through the master's program. 

I've done a little bit of this! I should keep a running list of interesting professors. I have a list of accredited PhD programs along these lines but not for masters programs. I guess it's just a matter of checking each university individually to see if they offer masters programs and in what specialty.

I know this wasn't your specific question, but I want to mention (just in case you didn't already know) that getting a Masters if your ultimate goal is a PhD is not necessary. I believe on average at least half, but likely more of admitted students come in without a MA. Additionally, some schools actually prefer not to admit students with their MA because they prefer to train students "ground up." Other options for you to pursue would be (paid) research coordinator or assistant positions so that you gain research experience near your topic of interest which will make you a much stronger applicant.

I'm not aware of a list of clinical masters programs but it may be worth just googling around or searching forum histories with those keywords. The schools I know that offer MAs in psychology include Teaching College at Columbia U., Hunter College (CUNY), and St. Johns. Also there are different kinds of Masters, there are some terminal programs where you can get licensed as a counselor whereas others are experimental/general degrees. Just something to be aware of. Finally, most Masters programs are typically not funded so if that's a concern you'll want to look carefully. I have heard of some funded MA programs out there, but can't think of specific ones at the moment. 

And sorry you didn't get in this round :(   But it's inspiring to see that you're really dedicated to pursuing this goal, I have no doubt you'll succeed if you keep that attitude and work ethic. 

Edited by Sherrinford

It took me 4 tries while keeping myself busy over the years with relevant research/job experiences to build my CV and improve upon my chances. Just so that you are aware, esp in Clinical field, Masters is more of a stepping stone to achieve an phd and are more geared towards people who come from more general psychology background who wants to get into Clinical. Since a lot of state does not grant you a license and practice with just a Masters degree, if you want to pursue a clinical phd I would advise you to get relevant work experience instead of Masters. If you are coming from a general psychology background, then maybe Masters might be a good stepping stone for you to pursue a Clinical phd/psyd! 

I applied to the Master's program at my undergraduate institution (University of Northern Iowa). They have a great program that offers both internal and external clinical practicum experiences as well as great assistantship opportunities. If you are an out-of-state student, they will only charge in-state tuition. I was also able to get my second year fully funded with a scholarship. The program is designed to be more of a stepping stone program into a PhD. It should be noted, however, that UNI does not offer a PhD program in Clinical so you would have to pursue that elsewhere. 

Here is a link to their website for you to look into it a little more: https://csbs.uni.edu/psych/clinical-science-emphasis

Hope this helps! 

50 minutes ago, strongs13 said:

I applied to the Master's program at my undergraduate institution (University of Northern Iowa). They have a great program that offers both internal and external clinical practicum experiences as well as great assistantship opportunities. If you are an out-of-state student, they will only charge in-state tuition. I was also able to get my second year fully funded with a scholarship. The program is designed to be more of a stepping stone program into a PhD. It should be noted, however, that UNI does not offer a PhD program in Clinical so you would have to pursue that elsewhere. 

Here is a link to their website for you to look into it a little more: https://csbs.uni.edu/psych/clinical-science-emphasis

Hope this helps! 

I was hoping someone would mention UNI -- such a great program! I'm currently attending for social. 

• 1 month later...

William and Mary, Wake Forest, Brandeis, American, Villanova, Depaul, NYU, Pepperdine - General

UChicago - MAPSS

Northwestern, Ball State - Clinical 

I think these are all solid - it's not important that it's clinical, just that they have research opportunities