Thoughts on The New School for Social Research's MA program?

GuanilosIsland

Hi fellow gradcafe members,

So I just got accepted into The New School's philosophy MA program with a 50% merit scholarship, which puts the cost of the MA program within my reach. I've heard some worrying things about the program on here, and I wanted to create a separate post to see if anyone who has direct experience with the program, or knows anyone that does, would share their thoughts. The program certainly fits perfectly with my interests, so the continental focus is not a worry for me.

I just got it as my first offer and Alice Crary is one of the best people possible I could work with, and on the continental side there's a good number of people, but I only got a 35% merit scholarship and I've heard the major problem is that the student:staff ratio is one of the worst out there, so you really don't get the personal attention you should be getting in a graduate program, so I'm happy but it's definitely at the bottom of my list if I get other offers

If you have to pay anything, don't do it. The New School in particular is basically a scam. It trades on its historical reputation in continental to draw in unsuspecting students. The student-to-faculty ratio is insane (they have what, 100 students and ten full-time faculty?). And the placement outcomes are abysmal. Plus, there's the cost of living in New York.

Go somewhere that will give you a free education, or don't go at all. The debt really, really isn't worth it.

I was also accepted into the NSSR MA last round of admissions. I reached similar conclusions to the other commenters after researching them. They basically accept everyone, it's a ton of money, and you will almost never talk to any professors ever. Even if you are a Ph.D. student writing a dissertation, you have to make huge appointments in advance.

So this problem at NSSR even exists at the level of their Ph.D. program. 

If you take out debt to get an M.A., go somewhere where you aren't a cash cow. Talk to students and find out if the class distinction between MA's and Ph.D.'s is noticeable. At my own MA program, for example (Duquesne), the professors treat MA's and PhD's the same, and there's not really a noticeable distinction between them (so much so as you don't really know who is who).

Otherwise, you might not get placed out of the MA into a PhD.

There are also terminal MA's that pay you, although the work tends to be a lot more severe when it comes to grading (from what I've heard), but something like this can definitely get you placed. 

Edited by iunoionnis

Having gone through the program myself, I can offer a different opinion than the ones offered above. Certainly, if you have to shackle yourself down with debt in order to go through the program, it is most likely not worth it (although most of the students there do this). But, of course, only you can decide that for yourself. 

The others are right about the faculty to student ratio. However, they are not right to think this means the professors are not available. The professors deeply care about their students, whether they be in the MA or PHD program, and always make themselves available, whether during standard office hours or by appointment if you cannot avail yourself for their hours. It is a huge mistake to think that "you will never talk to any professors ever." The only reason that you will never talk to any professors is if you yourself choose not to. 

The education itself is topnotch. The graduation requirements, however, go a bit beyond a normal MA program. For example, you will be required to do oral exams and a language translation exam in addition to a normal thesis (which you can substitute with written exams). All of this is in addition to your normal course load, so it can be a bit stressful at times, especially if you are working in order to pay tuition/NYC rent. 

I agree with the above comments. This is completely anecdotal and may not be true, but I heard something like the reason the university is so financially strained is because they actually rent a large amount of their property to NYU*(I guess this goes way back?), which is obviously a huge expense given the location of the property. But I have met a professor and a few students there who seemed nice. 

Edited by lyellgeo

40 minutes ago, Devotions said:

Having gone through the program myself, I can offer a different opinion than the ones offered above. Certainly, if you have to shackle yourself down with debt in order to go through the program, it is most likely not worth it (although most of the students there do this). But, of course, only you can decide that for yourself. 

The others are right about the faculty to student ratio. However, they are not right to think this means the professors are not available. The professors deeply care about their students, whether they be in the MA or PHD program, and always make themselves available, whether during standard office hours or by appointment if you cannot avail yourself for their hours. It is a huge mistake to think that "you will never talk to any professors ever." The only reason that you will never talk to any professors is if you yourself choose not to. 

The education itself is topnotch. The graduation requirements, however, go a bit beyond a normal MA program. For example, you will be required to do oral exams and a language translation exam in addition to a normal thesis (which you can substitute with written exams). All of this is in addition to your normal course load, so it can be a bit stressful at times, especially if you are working in order to pay tuition/NYC rent. 

It's nice to hear some good things about the program, especially from someone who went through it first-hand. Could you elaborate on how the education is top-notch, and just more in general on your experience there?

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, you'll_never_get_to_heaven said:

Just a bump because I know I and a few others were admitted to NSSR this season, and perhaps there's more to say about it.

There's nothing more to say than this:

On 2/26/2018 at 11:57 AM, maxhgns said:

If you have to pay anything, don't do it.

Or, to reiterate the point:

On 2/26/2018 at 11:57 AM, maxhgns said:

Go somewhere that will give you a free education, or don't go at all. The debt really, really isn't worth it.

Just now, Glasperlenspieler said:

There's nothing more to say than this:

Or, to reiterate the point:

I was thinking more along the lines of other issues brought up by some, and dismissed by others. I'm fairly certain everyone is aware that even with full tuition remission, it's a reach.

On 2/26/2018 at 8:08 PM, genderphage said:

I just got it as my first offer and Alice Crary is one of the best people possible I could work with, and on the continental side there's a good number of people, but I only got a 35% merit scholarship and I've heard the major problem is that the student:staff ratio is one of the worst out there, so you really don't get the personal attention you should be getting in a graduate program, so I'm happy but it's definitely at the bottom of my list if I get other offers

I don't have much to say about the NSSR programme (my intuition, for what it's worth, is that philosophy grad students should generally not go to places where they have to pay any substantial money, but I guess people might have very specific circumstances they're working out of!) but I just wanted to chime in to say Alice Crary is a really interesting thinking. :) And that's coming from someone who mostly works in 'analytic' now.