Indiana U-Bloomington

Sweet! See, if we got together and figured it out amongt ourselves, we could save the adcoms a lot of time.

No kidding. Okay, so we have six spots left. People better hurry up and post before slots run out! biggrin.gif

No kidding. Okay, so we have six spots left. People better hurry up and post before slots run out! biggrin.gif

Seriously. And the four of us seem to get along well, so there's our cohort. Harvard can suck it. Hoosier Daddy?! cool.gif

Oh, and keep in mind that diehtcOke already had a fellowship offer a week ago. So that makes five spots if we all get in wink.gif . RING PHONE, RING! This is my #1 hope/school. I even visited there last fall and met people. I desperately want to get into this program.

~ m

Edited by minnares

Seriously. And the four of us seem to get along well, so there's our cohort. Harvard can suck it. Hoosier Daddy?! cool.gif

Oh, and keep in mind that diehtcOke already had a fellowship offer a week ago. So that makes five spots if we all get in wink.gif . RING PHONE, RING! This is my #1 hope/school. I even visited there last fall and met people. I desperately want to get into this program.

~ m

So clearly we should e-mail the DGS and reason with him/her. We're all GradCafe BFFs, and cannot be separated at risk of disrupting the order of the universe. tongue.gif

And I guess we should count the two phone calls on the Results Page--so three left. mellow.gif

So clearly we should e-mail the DGS and reason with him/her. We're all GradCafe BFFs, and cannot be separated at risk of disrupting the order of the universe. tongue.gif

Wouldn't it be nice if it worked that way? Plus, I would just like to put it out there that my dad lives 45 minutes north of IUB and he's got a private lake. Hulloh weekends of fishing and swimming laugh.gif . Can you tell my imagination is in overdrive and my hopes are WAY higher than they should be (based on my current status of zero admissions)? LOL!

~ m

Wouldn't it be nice if it worked that way? Plus, I would just like to put it out there that my dad lives 45 minutes north of IUB and he's got a private lake. Hulloh weekends of fishing and swimming laugh.gif . Can you tell my imagination is in overdrive and my hopes are WAY higher than they should be (based on my current status of zero admissions)? LOL!

~ m

My hopes are higher than they should be as well. 0/12, but every time a new school starts handing out acceptances, I start checking my phone and email repeatedly. I should probably just give it all up now, but I refuse. Never say never, I suppose.

Edited by crutch

I received a reply from Bev to my inquiry about my status this morning - -it said EXACTLY what you have written.

I'm confused. I have a source at IU, and she told me that the committee met yesterday to finalize decisions, and that Bev didn't even have the information yet. Should we already count ourselves out???

I received a reply from Bev to my inquiry about my status this morning - -it said EXACTLY what you have written.

Okay, this is good news as far as I'm concerned. Sure wish somebody would claim one of the acceptance posts from today and fill us in on who contacted them.

So sorry guys--

I've been working on my senior thesis and have been away from my computer, otherwise I would have commented earlier.

I received a phone call last night from a professor on the Admissions committee. I was informed that I had been awarded a fellowship (so I think that may be why I was contacted early).

No word on how many people they were admitting and such. I don't think that they have contacted the majority of the admitted students yet, so don't give up hope!

So sorry guys--

I've been working on my senior thesis and have been away from my computer, otherwise I would have commented earlier.

I received a phone call last night from a professor on the Admissions committee. I was informed that I had been awarded a fellowship (so I think that may be why I was contacted early).

No word on how many people they were admitting and such. I don't think that they have contacted the majority of the admitted students yet, so don't give up hope!

Thanks for posting and GRATS! It's great to see someone on here get happy news.

CONGRATULATIONS, w2010 (insert images of confetti falling from the sky)! Did your online status change at either the application or OneStep? I am really hoping for this school on like a dozen levels now. So far everyone in this thread seems so kind and solid and interesting. I think we'd have some fun together cool.gif

~ m

Edited by minnares

I emailed Bev on Tuesday, and this was her response:

The admissions committee is just finishing up the second round of readings and will be meeting this afternoon. We will have more definite results by the end of the week at the latest.

The admissions committee is just finishing up the second round of readings and will be meeting this afternoon. We will have more definite results by the end of the week at the latest.

I feel compelled to say what a downright nice person Bev Hankins is. Anyone that's had dealings with her will probably echo this. Of all of the grad dept. assistants I've had contact with, Bev is consistently the nicest, not to mention she'll actually give information, which is nigh unto a miracle. laugh.gif

Thanks for this info, VT. Definite results is a good thing. I am so ready to be done with this process.

~ m

I feel compelled to say what a downright nice person Bev Hankins is. Anyone that's had dealings with her will probably echo this. Of all of the grad dept. assistants I've had contact with, Bev is consistently the nicest, not to mention she'll actually give information, which is nigh unto a miracle. laugh.gif

Thanks for this info, VT. Definite results is a good thing. I am so ready to be done with this process.

~ m

Second that. There are not enough good things that can be said of people like Bev. She is, far and above, the best grad dept. assistant I have worked with. Patient and kind - even when you choke up with tears. (My application was "lost" for a while, so we had some interesting phone conversations.)

Edited by lady_coffee

On 3/4/2010 at 4:35 PM, VictorianTess said:

Well, today is the end of the week, so I guess we'll hear something either today or early next week. As this is one of my two remaining schools, I am extra-nervous about the results. :huh:

I really hope they notify today. I am so ready for this all to be over. Now if only Iowa, Ohio State and Illinois would get on their grind and let us know what is going on...

I emailed Bev with a query, she informed me I should email Jennifer Fleissner to ease any anxiety I might have. Ease my anxiety it did. And not in a good way. Hello rejection 13. :(

I emailed Bev with a query, she informed me I should email Jennifer Fleissner to ease any anxiety I might have. Ease my anxiety it did. And not in a good way. Hello rejection 13. :(

I'm so sorry to hear that! *ehug* I know how much rejections suck. I have receive MANY this cycle, but keep going, you'll get in somewhere good. I just emailed Bev, I assume I will get the same thing. Would you mind sending me Jennifer Fleissner's email? I may just give that a go.

So, those mysterious e-vites from last year are back. I just received one about two hours ago from Jennifer Fleissner (who is really sweet. I've spoken to her on the phone) and I can tell you all that 27 people have been invited to Graduate Recruitment Day which takes place on March 24th.

On 3/6/2010 at 8:25 AM, diehtc0ke said:

So, those mysterious e-vites from last year are back. I just received one about two hours ago from Jennifer Fleissner (who is really sweet. I've spoken to her on the phone) and I can tell you all that 27 people have been invited to Graduate Recruitment Day which takes place on March 24th.

I was really hoping to visit their campus, but the Recruitment Day is the day after the Recruitment Day at Rutgers. Unless I can teleport between the two, I don't think I'll be able to make it. But I hope to hear all about it when people get back!

I just received this from Bev Hankins:

Some of our more urgent offers (most of our fellowships) have been notified by email &/or phone. But all admissions results will be mailed in hard copy. We just started our notification process at the end of last week and not all notifications (including some of the offers of admission) have been made/sent yet. If you are at all anxious about your status and need to find out where you stand before you receive anything from us, you may feel free to contact our Director of Admissions, Jennifer Fleissner (jfleissn@indiana.edu).

And so there's that sticky parenthetical... rolleyes.gif

~ m

On 3/6/2010 at 8:25 AM, diehtc0ke said:

I haven't been invited yet, but I've visited the campus several times (my dad lives just north of there). It's a lovely campus and every interaction I've had with faculty, staff, and other grad students has always been welcoming, helpful, and generous. Just my two bits. Bloomington is just a tiny town in the middle of an Indiana valley, so it is kind of the middle of the nowhere. However, the culture is there if you look for it. There are some decent performance companies, an excellent area of town with good restaurants, etc.  Last time I was in Indy on the 4th of July visiting my dad, the congregation of his church sang God Bless America 4 times during the same service (no joke) tongue.gif .

~ m

But there's also a large Tibetan community and an amazing Tibetan Buddhist Cultural Center. And, on of course, LOTS of sports and recreation.

Right! I'd totally forgotten about that. Doesn't the Dalai Lama's brother live there? I recall driving by a notice about the TBCC on my way into town.

~ m