Hello! 

I was invited to the SFSU interview on this coming Monday and I'm nervous as to how to prepare for it. Does anyone have any experience they would be willing to share regarding how the interview is run or the content that will be asked? Will they be asking more skills related items (stuff you learned previously in class), scenario based (not necessarily skills related) or more about the program itself (why do you think you would be a good fit, why this program/school etc...)? 

All information is appreciated and thank you in advance!

When I did it last year, it was a group interview with a scenario that we all had to discuss to come up with a resolution. It was a really easy scenario with pretty obvious resolutions so honestly it was just a little awkward LOL. I think they mostly wanted to see how we worked together! You don't have to prepare anything super impressive or know specific skills or content, and I only mentioned  my experiences very briefly and informally during the intros. Focus on showing your collaborative and interpersonal skills, and adopt the pleasant, relaxed SFSU vibe :)

There also wasn't really an opportunity to ask questions about the program, but I spoke briefly with one of the interviewers about their autism tracking and connected with her via email to ask my questions and thank her for the interview. And I think that kinda helped, actually! Good luck!

12 hours ago, pbandj said:

When I did it last year, it was a group interview with a scenario that we all had to discuss to come up with a resolution. It was a really easy scenario with pretty obvious resolutions so honestly it was just a little awkward LOL. I think they mostly wanted to see how we worked together! You don't have to prepare anything super impressive or know specific skills or content, and I only mentioned  my experiences very briefly and informally during the intros. Focus on showing your collaborative and interpersonal skills, and adopt the pleasant, relaxed SFSU vibe :)

There also wasn't really an opportunity to ask questions about the program, but I spoke briefly with one of the interviewers about their autism tracking and connected with her via email to ask my questions and thank her for the interview. And I think that kinda helped, actually! Good luck!

Hi pbandj! 

Thank you so much for your information! I'm nervous since my undergraduate degree was in something different and I'm still in the process of finishing up some prerequisites. As a result, I'm worried that my knowledge won't be as great (thus making my answers seem iffy or wrong).

Is the scenario more of a "how and what you would diagnose this client" or was it more of a "how would you approach this scenario"? 

Since you mentioned the pleasant and relaxed SFSU vibe, would it still be appropriate to be dressed in business attire? Or would it be better to go in as business casual? (I was brought up being told that it was always better to be over than under dressed). 

14 hours ago, SLPhopeful129 said:

Hi pbandj! 

Thank you so much for your information! I'm nervous since my undergraduate degree was in something different and I'm still in the process of finishing up some prerequisites. As a result, I'm worried that my knowledge won't be as great (thus making my answers seem iffy or wrong).

Is the scenario more of a "how and what you would diagnose this client" or was it more of a "how would you approach this scenario"? 

Since you mentioned the pleasant and relaxed SFSU vibe, would it still be appropriate to be dressed in business attire? Or would it be better to go in as business casual? (I was brought up being told that it was always better to be over than under dressed). 

It was more “how would you approach this scenario.” Feel free to PM me for more info :) And I agree with the better over than under dressed! I was a little more business to business casual with dress pants and a cardigan, but two girls in my group were wearing more business professional attire  :) 

9 hours ago, pbandj said:

It was more “how would you approach this scenario.” Feel free to PM me for more info :) And I agree with the better over than under dressed! I was a little more business to business casual with dress pants and a cardigan, but two girls in my group were wearing more business professional attire  :) 

I just sent you a PM :) 

• 1 year later...