HELP!!! How to fund my PhD in Clinical Psychology at Yeshiva (Ferkauf)

sagterbe

I'm about to start my PhD in Clinical Psychology in NYC at Yeshiva University (Ferkauf health emphasis program) in the fall and I'm a little worried about finances. I haven't heard back from the school about funding yet, but I'm under the impression they don't usually provide much of it. Since I'm not eligible for FAFSA, I'm wondering about other available funding opportunities for international students studying in New York (i.e. bursaries, fellowships, scholarships, loans, grants, etc.). I've looked into a few scholarships, but most of the deadlines have already passed. I will apply to these in the upcoming years, but I would love to hear about what other students in my position have done to fund their studies. It would be particularly AMAZING if anyone from the Ferkauf health emphasis program could provide me with some insight about funding opportunities for international students in that program. Any advice would be greatly appreciated-- thanks in advance :)

I'd suggest emailing the Program Director at Yeshiva's Clinical Psychology program to explain your financial situation and ask for suggestions. Perhaps they may provide funding through assistantships (e.g., teaching, research, or clinical part-time work) within the program, though I don't whether the Clinical Psychology program at Yeshiva provide such opportunities. Good luck!

Edited by JoePianist

Thanks JoePianist! I'll definitely look into that. I also read that Yeshiva has an office of international students which might be able to connect me with useful resources. I could use all the help I can get..

11 hours ago, sagterbe said:

I'm about to start my PhD in Clinical Psychology in NYC at Yeshiva University (Ferkauf health emphasis program) in the fall and I'm a little worried about finances. I haven't heard back from the school about funding yet, but I'm under the impression they don't usually provide much of it. Since I'm not eligible for FAFSA, I'm wondering about other available funding opportunities for international students studying in New York (i.e. bursaries, fellowships, scholarships, loans, grants, etc.). I've looked into a few scholarships, but most of the deadlines have already passed. I will apply to these in the upcoming years, but I would love to hear about what other students in my position have done to fund their studies. It would be particularly AMAZING if anyone from the Ferkauf health emphasis program could provide me with some insight about funding opportunities for international students in that program. Any advice would be greatly appreciated-- thanks in advance :)

If they never brought up financial assistance with you, I'm afraid that you have to fund yourself. Since you are an international student, you would need to contact their international student office and inquire about what the amount of money you need to prepare on your own to get your I-20. 

Edited by wnk4242

7 hours ago, wnk4242 said:

If they never brought up financial assistance with you, I'm afraid that you have to fund yourself. Since you are an international student, you would need to contact their international student office and inquire about what the amount of money you need to prepare on your own to get your I-20. 

Thanks wnk4242 :) I'm thinking (and hoping) they still might mention something about financial assistance. I just got the email notification about my acceptance on Friday and they mentioned "This email will be followed within a week by a formal letter from the Office of Admissions. Please be assured that this email message is an official notification of acceptance"... However, even if they do offer some kind of funding, I don't expect it to cover much of the tuition so I'm looking into ways to supplement it :) as soon as I receive the official letter I'll definitely contact the international office. Thanks again for your help!

22 minutes ago, sagterbe said:

Thanks wnk4242 :) I'm thinking (and hoping) they still might mention something about financial assistance. I just got the email notification about my acceptance on Friday and they mentioned "This email will be followed within a week by a formal letter from the Office of Admissions. Please be assured that this email message is an official notification of acceptance"... However, even if they do offer some kind of funding, I don't expect it to cover much of the tuition so I'm looking into ways to supplement it :) as soon as I receive the official letter I'll definitely contact the international office. Thanks again for your help!

I suggest for you to contact your POI immediately concerning your financial assistance. Have you done that already?

29 minutes ago, sagterbe said:

Also, since I've lived in New York for 4 years (but I'm not going to do my PhD in New York), I know where to find cheap apartments in New York (under $1000 for rent). Let me know if you need any assistance with finding an apartment. 

On 3/12/2018 at 8:38 AM, wnk4242 said:

Also, since I've lived in New York for 4 years (but I'm not going to do my PhD in New York), I know where to find cheap apartments in New York (under $1000 for rent). Let me know if you need any assistance with finding an apartment. 

Thank you for all your help!! I'll definitely keep that in mind :)

On 3/12/2018 at 8:28 AM, wnk4242 said:

I suggest for you to contact your POI immediately concerning your financial assistance. Have you done that already?

I don't technically have a POI yet; you apply to the program instead of a professor. But I will contact both the financial aid office and international students office ASAP! 

3 hours ago, sagterbe said:

I don't technically have a POI yet; you apply to the program instead of a professor. But I will contact both the financial aid office and international students office ASAP! 

Okay. Even though you haven't been assigned an advisor yet, that doesn't mean you can't get in touch with them. I also suggest for you to contact the Department Chair or the Program Director/Director of Clinical Training. Contact as many people as you can and hope someone can help you out.