2018 Biostat/Stat PhD Admitted Student Visits

I applied to MS biostatistics programs and believe they have the same visit days as the PhD programs...

Michigan biostats: March 17

Emory biostats: March 22/23

UNC biostats: March 23

Columbia biostats: April 6

I hope this helps. Best of luck to all applicants. I'm still waiting on the edge of my seat for a few top choices, but am grateful for the options I have right now!

7 hours ago, GoPackGo89 said:

UNC biostat phd was march1-2. I believe the 23 is the Gillings visit

Could you please share some information provided at the UNC phd visit? How do you feel about the department and the school? I have been admitted to their biostat phd program but was not invited to the March 1-2 visit, probably because I am an international student. Anxiously waiting for their funding information right now...

Statistics Visits Days with a travel day before and after the visit:

UT Austin - Feb 23,   Not likely to send out more offers because there was 8 people at the visit for around 5 spots

Virginia Tech - March 3/29,  I declined the offer

Missouri - Columbia - March 3/5,  7 people visiting no clue on how many spots and how many international admits

All of these visits were funded for people inside the US.

Texas A&M did not have a designated weekend but they did fund my visit.

4 hours ago, timaximum said:

Could you please share some information provided at the UNC phd visit? How do you feel about the department and the school? I have been admitted to their biostat phd program but was not invited to the March 1-2 visit, probably because I am an international student. Anxiously waiting for their funding information right now...

I love the town of chapel hill, the campus was beautiful, and the school of Global health was great. The students showing us around were all very friendly and helpful. The research going on in the department was broad and impressive (Seemed like any subfield of stats/biostats that you want to work in there is someone good there save maybe Imaging?). Funding was mentioned to be with research assistantships or training grants (I feel like there is some stipulation on training grants and international students though). The coursework is heavy and qualifying exams include measure theory prob and advanced stat theory (past casella and berger). Let me know if you have any specific questions otherwise I would give them a call about funding soon?

19 hours ago, GoPackGo89 said:

I love the town of chapel hill, the campus was beautiful, and the school of Global health was great. The students showing us around were all very friendly and helpful. The research going on in the department was broad and impressive (Seemed like any subfield of stats/biostats that you want to work in there is someone good there save maybe Imaging?). Funding was mentioned to be with research assistantships or training grants (I feel like there is some stipulation on training grants and international students though). The coursework is heavy and qualifying exams include measure theory prob and advanced stat theory (past casella and berger). Let me know if you have any specific questions otherwise I would give them a call about funding soon?

Thank you so much for your info! Did they mention if every phd student will have some sort of funding? And when will the funding information be available to us normally? Also, did they talk about their placements both in industry and academic? I couldn't find the placement info of UNC anywhere.

1 hour ago, timaximum said:

Thank you so much for your info! Did they mention if every phd student will have some sort of funding? And when will the funding information be available to us normally? Also, did they talk about their placements both in industry and academic? I couldn't find the placement info of UNC anywhere.

When professors came to talk about their research some of them listed recent placements and it was a good mix. Beyond that you'll just have to dig into their CVs. They mentioned that every PhD applicant at the visit had been offered funding and that it would come through RAship, Training grants, or for four applicants, a fellowship.

2 hours ago, SheldonCopper said:

@BStat It was like two weeks ago. 

Thank you for sharing this. Did you get a Stat Ph.D. offer from them?Could you please share some information provided at the UW Ph.D. visit?Approximately how many students did attend the Stat university visit? How do you feel about the department and the school? I have been waitlisted to their stat Ph.D. program and have been waiting anxiously for a status update from them. 

On 2018/3/14 at 12:27 AM, GoPackGo89 said:

When professors came to talk about their research some of them listed recent placements and it was a good mix. Beyond that you'll just have to dig into their CVs. They mentioned that every PhD applicant at the visit had been offered funding and that it would come through RAship, Training grants, or for four applicants, a fellowship.

Thx!