Hi!

I received an admit from CMU for Masters in Environmental Engineering in early Feb (with ~50% funding for the first year) and have been pondering over it since. I've been waiting for the other important decisions i.e. UIUC and Georgia Tech, but I've pretty much zeroed in on CMU coz of the courses. However, common consensus states I should take UIUC without a doubt if I get it as its awesome.

As an international, an early decision will help me start the VISA process sooner. Should I wait for the supposedly better schools or go for the one that seems like the best fit?

I could really do with some opinions. Any other useful information about CMU is also welcome!

Thanks!

I am an international student as well. Visa process does not take that long. I did mine in June-July and attended orientation in August. I advise you to hear back from all universities before making a decision. 

I'm not an international student, but I would suggest waiting to hear back from your other programs so that you don't wonder about the "what if's" later on. Of course, if you know that your decision regarding where to attend would not change pending certain schools, then make your decision when you're sure of where you want to go. Good luck! 

3 hours ago, PsychedSloth said:

Of course, if you know that your decision regarding where to attend would not change pending certain schools, then make your decision when you're sure of where you want to go.

I feel I am! I'm just worried I'm rushing things out of impatience, coz I've been waiting quite a while now.

23 hours ago, HTM18 said:

I am an international student as well. Visa process does not take that long. I did mine in June-July and attended orientation in August. I advise you to hear back from all universities before making a decision. 

It's not so much about the VISA process, it's more of just getting this settled. It's been a long wait. But then, I guess if I've waiting this long I could probably wait another couple of weeks. Meh.

10 hours ago, Aradhana94 said:

I'm just worried I'm rushing things out of impatience

It would probably be best to wait (I know it's hard... I waited 4 months for a decision) just so that you're absolutely certain because it sounds like it may be an impulse decision. Plus, if you end up getting more financial assistance from  the "better" schools, but you know you're set on going to the other one, you can try using those offers to negotiate your financial aid package. 

11 hours ago, PsychedSloth said:

It would probably be best to wait (I know it's hard... I waited 4 months for a decision) just so that you're absolutely certain because it sounds like it may be an impulse decision. Plus, if you end up getting more financial assistance from  the "better" schools, but you know you're set on going to the other one, you can try using those offers to negotiate your financial aid package. 

That makes so much sense. Thank you!

I got two offers from UIUC and WashU in St. Louis. And I recently accepted the one from WUSTL because I just got sick of all the waiting and pondering. And I am also an international student, I figured it's better to settle down so I can move on to the subsequent issues.