UT Health San Antonio

I believe that this year will be their first year with an accredited program. This summer on ASHA ed find the only accredited San Antonio school was OLLU and UTSA was added in August.

It's a brand new program so I don't believe you will find any current students in the SLP program.  I would suggest emailing the program coordinator for program specific questions.  However, if you have questions about the school or the area as a whole, you can message me!  I know people who are familiar with the school in general and know a lot about the area.

2 hours ago, broca's aphasia said:

It's a brand new program so I don't believe you will find any current students in the SLP program.  I would suggest emailing the program coordinator for program specific questions.  However, if you have questions about the school or the area as a whole, you can message me!  I know people who are familiar with the school in general and know a lot about the area.

Thanks! I'll DM you

Hello! I am a current SLP masters student at UT Health(they accepted a cohort in January). I am apart of their first cohort from January. UT Health Science Center San Antonio is not the same school as UTSA, they should not be confused! The program was accredited by ASHA last August. Feel free to ask me any questions?

Edited by purplefuzz2

10 hours ago, purplefuzz2 said:

Hello! I am a current SLP masters student at UT Health(they accepted a cohort in January). I am apart of their first cohort from January. UT Health Science Center San Antonio is not the same school as UTSA, they should not be confused! The program was accredited by ASHA last August. Feel free to ask me any questions?

Purplefuzz! I have so many questions!!

What is the faculty like? Is your cohort pretty diverse in terms of education/experience backgrounds? I know it’s pretty early days, but what is the practicum schedule like? How is the workload?

21 minutes ago, SeaCai said:

Purplefuzz! I have so many questions!!

What is the faculty like? Is your cohort pretty diverse in terms of education/experience backgrounds? I know it’s pretty early days, but what is the practicum schedule like? How is the workload?

Our faculty is amazing! Dr. Lu is our program director, Dr. Norman is starting up research, and Ms. Kennedy is our clinical coordinator. All three of them currently teach us classes and I know that they intend on hiring additional lecturers to cover more classes for the upcoming semesters. They are all very invested in our success and their ultimate goal is to make us excellent clinicians that are prepared for the world after graduate school. I do believe our cohort is diverse in all areas besides origin, we are all from Texas, and most of us got our undergraduate educations at Texas public schools. I really think that just because it takes time to get the word out about a new program and most of use were already familiar with the University of Texas System. Our ages range from 22 to mid-thirties, some of us leveled somewhere else, some of us have undergrad degrees in SLP. Some of us have experience as SLPAs, some of us don't. It is a medically based program so most of us have medically based leanings, as does the current faculty. We do not have our own clinic so we won't start practicum until Fall 2018, we will start doing observations this summer. This semester we have only been taking classes. I think that this is mostly because Ms. Kennedy was still setting up relationships the neighboring hospitals, clinics and school districts at the beginning of the semester. Since we have not started practicum I think that the work load has been comfortable, but we have been warned not to get too comfortable because we will continue to be faced with more challenges as the program continues:).

Please continue to ask questions! I wish I had someone to answer my questions when I got accepted in November lol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2018 at 12:48 PM, purplefuzz2 said:

Our faculty is amazing! Dr. Lu is our program director, Dr. Norman is starting up research, and Ms. Kennedy is our clinical coordinator. All three of them currently teach us classes and I know that they intend on hiring additional lecturers to cover more classes for the upcoming semesters. They are all very invested in our success and their ultimate goal is to make us excellent clinicians that are prepared for the world after graduate school. I do believe our cohort is diverse in all areas besides origin, we are all from Texas, and most of us got our undergraduate educations at Texas public schools. I really think that just because it takes time to get the word out about a new program and most of use were already familiar with the University of Texas System. Our ages range from 22 to mid-thirties, some of us leveled somewhere else, some of us have undergrad degrees in SLP. Some of us have experience as SLPAs, some of us don't. It is a medically based program so most of us have medically based leanings, as does the current faculty. We do not have our own clinic so we won't start practicum until Fall 2018, we will start doing observations this summer. This semester we have only been taking classes. I think that this is mostly because Ms. Kennedy was still setting up relationships the neighboring hospitals, clinics and school districts at the beginning of the semester. Since we have not started practicum I think that the work load has been comfortable, but we have been warned not to get too comfortable because we will continue to be faced with more challenges as the program continues:).

Please continue to ask questions! I wish I had someone to answer my questions when I got accepted in November lol.

Hi, I was accepted as well and love these answers! My question is what classes are you taking now and what do you have scheduled for Fall 2018? DO you generally like the classes so far? Biggest pros of the program in your opinion? Also (feel free to PM about this) do you live in the "medical center area"? I have been to SA many times despite being out of state, my boyfriend went to grad school at UIW and I also have close family friends in the area! I am somewhat familiar with the city layout but would love apartment/area recs on where to live for convenience to school!

6 hours ago, slpblonde15 said:

Hi, I was accepted as well and love these answers! My question is what classes are you taking now and what do you have scheduled for Fall 2018? DO you generally like the classes so far? Biggest pros of the program in your opinion? Also (feel free to PM about this) do you live in the "medical center area"? I have been to SA many times despite being out of state, my boyfriend went to grad school at UIW and I also have close family friends in the area! I am somewhat familiar with the city layout but would love apartment/area recs on where to live for convenience to school!

Hello! This semester we are taking Clinical methods 1, Language Disorders, Neurological Basis of Communication, Research Methods, Motor Speech Disorders. Our next semester is actually this summer. They have not revealed our full schedule to use yet, but I know we are taking Audiology, Clinical Methods II and we will be sent out on observations. Our summer semester will be a full semester (14 hours I think). I do not know what classes we will take in the fall, but we will be receiving our first practicum placement. I really do enjoy all of my classes. I enjoy getting up every morning and going to class, and I cannot say that I felt that way in undergrad. All of our professors have such passion, and really really really want us to learn. Literally today one of our professors did an 1.5 hour review on things we didn't do well on the last exam, outside of her class time, because she wanted to make sure we knew the subject matter. I would say our biggest pros are our faculty (I know that I have said that a few times but it is just the truth), even though we haven not actually had the opportunity to work in the hospitals yet being surrounded but med students, OT, PT, PA and nursing students feels amazing. We can feel the potential opportunities in the distance. The university is working really hard to improve our education about other profession, and has built programming around it. Unlike at a lot of other schools, SLP is not the ugly duckling of programs, our school is pumped to have us here, even if not all of them fully understand what we do ;). Even though being a new has has its cons, like not being 100% what we have in store, it is also a huge plus. It means that we get to build our own NSSLHA, our professor really think about us when they are writing their curriculum (they are not recycling 10 year old powerpoints) and  we  have the opportunity to set other standards.

Myself and several other cohort members live north/north west of the medical center, like 10 minutes away, I like it. Traffic doesn't really get that bad in and directly around the medical center, so don't feel like you have to live right by the school. Most of the apartments that are really close to the hospitals and schools are more expensive and older. I born and raised in Texas, and I really never saw myself wanting to live in San Antonio, but I have been enjoying it.

Hope that helps that helps! I know there isn't a lot of casual information out their about the program so everyone feel free to ask questions.

Edited by purplefuzz2

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2019 at 9:21 PM, Speechie Keen said:

Hi! I know this was from the last application cycle, but I just got accepted for the Fall 2019 semester and have some questions and I'd love to hear from some current students if possible!

Hi, would you mind pm’ing me so I can discuss with you the requirements for this program! I will be applying next year and I have some questions! I was wondering you have an undergrad degree in SLP or if you just did the pre-requisites? Also, I was wondering about your GRE score. I understand if you do not want to tell, but I was just curious as to around what number I should make to feel comfortable in getting an acceptance. Thank you in advance! 

On 3/26/2018 at 8:14 PM, purplefuzz2 said:

Hello! This semester we are taking Clinical methods 1, Language Disorders, Neurological Basis of Communication, Research Methods, Motor Speech Disorders. Our next semester is actually this summer. They have not revealed our full schedule to use yet, but I know we are taking Audiology, Clinical Methods II and we will be sent out on observations. Our summer semester will be a full semester (14 hours I think). I do not know what classes we will take in the fall, but we will be receiving our first practicum placement. I really do enjoy all of my classes. I enjoy getting up every morning and going to class, and I cannot say that I felt that way in undergrad. All of our professors have such passion, and really really really want us to learn. Literally today one of our professors did an 1.5 hour review on things we didn't do well on the last exam, outside of her class time, because she wanted to make sure we knew the subject matter. I would say our biggest pros are our faculty (I know that I have said that a few times but it is just the truth), even though we haven not actually had the opportunity to work in the hospitals yet being surrounded but med students, OT, PT, PA and nursing students feels amazing. We can feel the potential opportunities in the distance. The university is working really hard to improve our education about other profession, and has built programming around it. Unlike at a lot of other schools, SLP is not the ugly duckling of programs, our school is pumped to have us here, even if not all of them fully understand what we do ;). Even though being a new has has its cons, like not being 100% what we have in store, it is also a huge plus. It means that we get to build our own NSSLHA, our professor really think about us when they are writing their curriculum (they are not recycling 10 year old powerpoints) and  we  have the opportunity to set other standards.

Myself and several other cohort members live north/north west of the medical center, like 10 minutes away, I like it. Traffic doesn't really get that bad in and directly around the medical center, so don't feel like you have to live right by the school. Most of the apartments that are really close to the hospitals and schools are more expensive and older. I born and raised in Texas, and I really never saw myself wanting to live in San Antonio, but I have been enjoying it.

Hope that helps that helps! I know there isn't a lot of casual information out their about the program so everyone feel free to ask questions.

Hi purplefuzz, could we talk about admissions into the UT health and Science center for slp? Did you receive a degree in SLP or did you just do the pre requisites? 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 3/15/2018 at 12:43 AM, purplefuzz2 said:

Hello! I am thinking of trying to apply for this program. Can you give me some advice on who to get recommendation letters from? Previous employer? College? Please let me know!! 

1 minute ago, Speechtherapist said:

Hello! I am thinking of trying to apply for this program. Can you give me some advice on who to get recommendation letters from? Previous employer? College? Please let me know!! 

Also Advice about GRE score? Please dm if you can or message me on here! Thanks so much