UVM vs WVU (aka where should I go)

Hi everyone, I really hate to make one of these threads, but I thought it would be important to get feedback on all fronts. I have funded MA offers from West Virginia University and the University of Vermont and I am trying to decide which program I want to attend. The funding they are offering is not significantly more or less than one another (though the cost of living is higher in Vermont), both programs have faculty members that are doing work or have done work that I am interested in (though maybe more so at UVM),  Vermont is an R2 and WVU is an R1 which may have an impact on my decision (though I am not sure how important that is at the MA level), both have great doctoral placement rates (a big reason I applied to both schools), and the culture of each program seems supportive and friendly. Any information that you may have on either of these schools would be super helpful as I try to make my decision because I am trying to get as much feedback as possible. Thank you in advance to anyone who responds!

I don't believe that ranking does matter at the MA level. A lot of this is due to schools not being ranked at the MA level.

However, these are things I'd ask about both programs when comparing the two:

1) Placement rates:  You mentioned that both have great placement rates. How updated is their information? Where do students get accepted after finishing the MA? What percentage of students apply for the PHD? Are these the types of schools that you're interested in?

2) Professionalization experience. Does the school offer funding for conferences? (At my current school, funding is not guaranteed by the department but everyone who applies for it, generally gets it as long as the funds are there. It's been my understanding that the funds run dry around mid-spring. If you apply before then, they'll reimburse all costs (transportation, food, hotel, conference registration) up to $1000 total. The limit is even higher for international conferences

3) Do they offer opportunities to teach? Be an RA? Tutor at the writing center?

4) Program: How big is each cohort? Can you take programs in other departments of interest? Can you be happy in the city that each is located in? What times do they offer most grad courses? How many courses are you expected to take each semester? Do students seem happy there? How closely will you work with professors?

On 3/14/2018 at 10:52 PM, Warelin said:

I don't believe that ranking does matter at the MA level.

However, these are things I'd ask about both programs when comparing the two:

1) Placement rates:  You mentioned that both have great placement rates. How updated is their information? Where do students get accepted after finishing the MA? What percentage of students apply for the PHD? Are these the types of schools that you're interested in?

2) Professionalization experience. Does the school offer funding for conferences? (At my current school, funding is not guaranteed by the department but everyone who applies for it, generally gets it as long as the funds are there. It's been my understanding that the funds run dry around mid-spring. If you apply before then, they'll reimburse all costs (transportation, food, hotel, conference registration) up to $1000 total. The limit is even higher for international conferences

3) Do they offer opportunities to teach? Be an RA? Tutor at the writing center?

4) Program: How big is each cohort? Can you take programs in other departments of interest? Can you be happy in the city that each is located in? What times do they offer most grad courses? How many courses are you expected to take each semester? Do students seem happy there? How closely will you work with professors?

1. I am currently trying to find out how updated the information is for one of them (the website says their list is PhD placements since 2005). Both programs have gotten people into places I would like to go to which is part of what is making this such a difficult choice. However, for each program the amount of students who go on to do doctoral studies is about 50/50 so that is a case where they are pretty much equivalent. Each program also has good placement into "alt-academic" careers.

2. They both offer funding for conferences, but at UVM I heard that each student gets $1,500 dollars a year guaranteed which is super nice. Professionalization was very important to me so I figured out that information really quickly.

3. I have been offered 2 year GTAships at each institution (woo!). UVM's teaching load is 1/2 and 2/1 and WVU's is 2/2 and 2/2 so that is something I have also been thinking a lot about (I don't want to get too bogged down teaching from the start).

4. The cohort sizes are both around 6 for MA admits (WVU has a PhD program while UVM does not, though, so there are more grad students in total at WVU). Both programs offer the opportunity to take courses in other departments, the grad students seem happy (at least the ones I have talked to), I'll figure out when courses are offered, and in both programs the students emphasized to me how great the faculty was to work with. Each place seems like a nice city to live in, but Burlington was particularly beautiful (ten minute walk to Lake Champlain? Nothing can beat that!).

Thank you for giving me some stuff to think about, I really appreciate your questions and feedback! :D 

On 3/14/2018 at 11:11 PM, Dogfish Head said:

1. I am currently trying to find out how updated the information is for one of them (the website says their list is PhD placements since 2005). Both programs have gotten people into places I would like to go to which is part of what is making this such a difficult choice. However, for each program the amount of students who go on to do doctoral studies is about 50/50 so that is a case where they are pretty much equivalent. Each program also has good placement into "alt-academic" careers.

2. They both offer funding for conferences, but at UVM I heard that each student gets $1,500 dollars a year guaranteed which is super nice. Professionalization was very important to me so I figured out that information really quickly.

3. I have been offered 2 year GTAships at each institution (woo!). UVM's teaching load is 1/2 and 2/1 and WVU's is 2/2 and 2/2 so that is something I have also been thinking a lot about (I don't want to get too bogged down teaching from the start).

4. The cohort sizes are both around 6 for MA admits (WVU has a PhD program while UVM does not, though, so there are more grad students in total at WVU). Both programs offer the opportunity to take courses in other departments, the grad students seem happy (at least the ones I have talked to), I'll figure out when courses are offered, and in both programs the students emphasized to me how great the faculty was to work with. Each place seems like a nice city to live in, but Burlington was particularly beautiful (ten minute walk to Lake Champlain? Nothing can beat that!).

Thank you for giving me some stuff to think about, I really appreciate your questions and feedback! :D 

think Vermont is a really hard offer to beat for the following reasons:
1. PHD students aren't competing with you for a professor's time. This might seem like a small thing now but less graduate students mean that you'll be able to develop closer relationships and might be given priority when certain projects become available.
2. Guaranteed funding means you won't have to worry about being able to present at a conference you want to due to funds. Presenting at the conference you want to present at based on interests means you'll be able to make connections sooner and with people that you're more likely to be interested in. It allows you to better understand current scholarship in the field.
3. It sounds like the Lake could be a good way for you to 'recharge' or 'relax'. I think both are incredibly important because you will be a member of the community and there will be days that you need to unwind in the city.

6 hours ago, Dogfish Head said:

Each place seems like a nice city to live in, but Burlington was particularly beautiful (ten minute walk to Lake Champlain? Nothing can beat that!).

More like a 20-25 minute walk (ask my husband about the brutal winter walks he took from UVM to where I was living on the waterfront during my last semester! Lol) but there’s a free shuttle down College Street that’ll get you there faster, and a lot of people live between UVM and the waterfront so you could be closer. The waterfront park is nice, as are the biking trails.

It is a lovely place to spend a couple of years, especially if you enjoy outdoor activities and winter sports. It’s a super liberal/hippyish/hipster city as I’m sure you’re aware. There are some fantastic restaurants (A Single Pebble, Sherpa Kitchen, Skinny Pancake, and Asiana House are a few faves). It’s also close to Montreal which is always a fun weekend trip. I had to escape Vermont, but I do think I can say I enjoyed Burlington and UVM overall. Burlington will probably feel small if you’re from a city. The entire population of the state of Vermont is smaller than the cities of DC or Boston, which felt stifling to me but will be invigorating and refreshing to others. UVM is also severely lacking in diversity, which may also be a bit of a culture shock if you previously attended a diverse institution, though Burlington is more diverse than the university.

Husband was more involved in the history department than the English department, but he did have some stellar English professors.

It sounds to me like you favor Vermont in what you've typed. I also agree with posters above that Vermont does sound like the better deal. Are you planning on visiting? I think getting a feel for the place, talking to current grad students, meeting POIs, etc. is super helpful.

Also how do you find out if a school is R1, R2, or R3?

2 hours ago, Cassifrassidy said:

It sounds to me like you favor Vermont in what you've typed. I also agree with posters above that Vermont does sound like the better deal. Are you planning on visiting? I think getting a feel for the place, talking to current grad students, meeting POIs, etc. is super helpful.

Also how do you find out if a school is R1, R2, or R3?

I just did a quick goog and haven’t read through this yet https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_research_universities_in_the_United_States

Thank you everyone for the feedback and information. I am definitely leaning more towards Vermont than I did when I initially made this post. I have visited both campuses and I liked both, but I will admit that I thought that Burlington and UVM's campus were exceptionally lovely.