FLAS 2018/2019

Africanagyal

Hi All, 

Thought I'd start a thread on this.

I was notified that I will receive for FLAS given that the school receives Title IV funding from the Department of Education. 

Does anyone know when schools will receive notification about the funding or the timeline from the department of education? I just want to know if I will get funding or not :unsure::wacko:

• 4 weeks later...

@Africanagyal As far as I know, this is an individual school thing. Because even after receiving word from the government the FLAS centers have to run through their own internal calculations. I would ask your FLAS center if they have any information available on the probable timeline. 

I heard that the US DoE will send out applications to schools in early May, and that schools should hear back from them late July/early August. My school said it was pretty likely that it'll work out because they've gotten the grant for some decades now. 

25 minutes ago, busybee said:

I'm still waiting on Yale Summer FLAS. I've also reached out to ask about dates with no response.

That's frustrating because the summer FLAS notifications should be out by now.

2 hours ago, Puffy said:

I heard that the US DoE will send out applications to schools in early May, and that schools should hear back from them late July/early August. My school said it was pretty likely that it'll work out because they've gotten the grant for some decades now. 

I was told the same thing. I just wish the US DoE sent out applications earlier because this waiting game is no fun!

6 minutes ago, Africanagyal said:

That's frustrating because the summer FLAS notifications should be out by now.

Thanks, Africanagyal, it is a little. There are others in my cohort who are also still waiting on summer decisions for things. I'm definitely getting used to waiting, since academia keeps me so busy like 90% of the time! 

Where are you waiting to hear from?

12 minutes ago, busybee said:

Thanks, Africanagyal, it is a little. There are others in my cohort who are also still waiting on summer decisions for things. I'm definitely getting used to waiting, since academia keeps me so busy like 90% of the time! 

Where are you waiting to hear from?

I am waiting to hear from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. I need to get used to the waiting game asap because it is killing me softly!

I did not get a GA position at a different department because I "might" get FLAS.

Edited by Africanagyal

Hey all--

I'm currently alternate listed for FLAS (2018-2019) but from my own department, I've been told that academic year FLAS for 2018-2019 will likely not happen, the way things are looking :( If anything, I was told that accepted students might get something for Spring 2019, if at all. It's super frustrating and terrible timing--I really was hoping to get FLAS to help me get through to my MA as my department does not prioritize pre-MA students for funding. Not trying to discourage anyone but this is just what I've been told so thought I'd share in case anyone else is trying to find a back up plan like I am.

23 hours ago, hantoo said:

Hey all--

I'm currently alternate listed for FLAS (2018-2019) but from my own department, I've been told that academic year FLAS for 2018-2019 will likely not happen, the way things are looking :( If anything, I was told that accepted students might get something for Spring 2019, if at all. It's super frustrating and terrible timing--I really was hoping to get FLAS to help me get through to my MA as my department does not prioritize pre-MA students for funding. Not trying to discourage anyone but this is just what I've been told so thought I'd share in case anyone else is trying to find a back up plan like I am.

oh wow I hope this is not the case :(

The recent budget for the U.S. department of Education did include funding for the program the FLAS comes out of and the application cycle recently opened up for schools to apply. 

Is your school applying this cycle?

1 hour ago, Africanagyal said:

oh wow I hope this is not the case :(

The recent budget for the U.S. department of Education did include funding for the program the FLAS comes out of and the application cycle recently opened up for schools to apply. 

Is your school applying this cycle?

They are as far as I know! Also, to my knowledge summer FLAS was not affected by any of this. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that things might work out by the end of the summer--a lot of anthropology students at my university rely on FLAS and it's really essential for gaining language skills for the field.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

According to my school (Indiana University), FLAS decisions will be made "mid-August" IF the Department of Education distributes funds by then. If funds are significantly delayed, then FLASes won't be awarded for this year. Either way, even if there's a slight delay, I don't feel good about this at all because the fall semester starts on August 20.

Anyone else in a similar boat?

• 2 weeks later...

Just got news that the department of education notified awardees (schools) that they have won funding. As of now, as far as I understand, schools are waiting to hear the details of the funding, including how much they’ve won (so, students have to wait a bit longer to find out if the FLAS award is coming their way).

• 6 months later...