Should I send "Thank You" email to the admission panel after interview

KhaledAly

Hi,

I was interviewed yesterday by the admission panel including DGS and POI. I wonder if it is a must to send them a " thank you email" after the interview. I am afraid that they may be annoyed with such email. If I have to send them this email what should I include in it? and should I send the email to the DGS or POI or both? 

Thanks

• 9 months later...

@KhaledAly @kendalldinniene YES! It is always nice to send a thank you email for every interview not just for graduate admissions. You can just thank them for their time example below.

I just want to thank you for your time and I appreciate the insights of your program. I was also pleased to talk with Dr. *enter name* research area *What ever you talked about*.  I also have a question on *ask question*

It is always nice to thank people for their time once you interview. You can make it as simple as just thanking their for their time or you can ask a question you did not ask in the interview.  Doing this makes you seem interested in the program. I would cc whoever was in the interview.  You will not annoy them and it will not hurt your chances of getting in, also if it does do you really want to go to a program where they wont even answer your thank you email in the process?

Edited by ray92

I use this rule of thumb: whenever someone gives of their time in service to me or my goals, I always send a thank-you email. This goes for small things, like emailing the grad assistant who squeezed me in to see a school administrator when he would be otherwise unavailable to the administrator himself after the meeting. Every favor, recommendation, meeting, interview, offer, and bit of consideration gets a (sometimes very quick!) email of thanks. I have NEVER irritated people with this practice, in fact, I believe it has helped make me some pretty strong allies over the years. 

I highly recommend everyone take up this practice! So many in higher ed are not thanked enough, those emails seem to mean a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2018 at 3:33 PM, ray92 said:

@KhaledAly @kendalldinniene YES! It is always nice to send a thank you email for every interview not just for graduate admissions. 

Who do I send my thank you to? The professors or deans who I interviewed with, or the dean of admissions, or other?

Depending on the culture of your field you might consider sending a handwritten thank you note. This obviously isn't best practice for all fields, anything based around science and tech would definitely be better served with an email. It may seem old school but in some of the more traditionally academic or philosophical programs a handwritten note to everyone who interviewed you may help you stand out. 

42 minutes ago, Manilo said:

if they reply a general email saying "I wish you the best in your endeavors. Good luck" does that mean I am most likely will be rejected by the program?

It most likely means they haven't made any decisions yet and want to be polite and neutral. 

• 2 weeks later...

Great question! I interviewed yesterday for the program and I'm going to send out a very short email to each of the interviewers telling them that I enjoy getting to meet them (over Skype). This is 100% true, by the way. They seemed genuinely interested in my research and were pretty laid back in a professional sort of way.