San Diego State vs. Univ of Arizona

Does anyone have any insights on these schools?  I applied to them for their Bilingual Certificate, but I am out of state and cannot afford to visit them both and don't know much about the rest of the department/professors.  Any advice would be appreciated!  Thank you!

17 minutes ago, SLPihope2B said:

Same question but SDSU vs ASU. I’m not bilingual, but i want to work clinically w kids with autism. I want to live in San Diego or SoCal eventually after graduating 

help

Def SDSU if this is where you want to live. I live in CA and attend school in AZ, and there are differences on the state level that gets lost in the curriculum. For example, CA has a law called Larry p  and AZ does not. Both are great programs though 

10 hours ago, BeachySpeechy said:

Def SDSU if this is where you want to live. I live in CA and attend school in AZ, and there are differences on the state level that gets lost in the curriculum. For example, CA has a law called Larry p  and AZ does not. Both are great programs though 

Is the Larry P Law really followed??  I heard rumors that in CA, black students are given different IQ tests because of their race and are automatically test for AAVE dialect, but didn't know if it was true.  

If you want to end up in California, I would definitely choose SDSU. I've been to Tucson and it's a smaller city in comparison to San Diego, and San Diego also has more mild weather. I couldn't apply to SDSU because I am a leveler, but it definitely seems like a cool program, plus it would be nice living right near the ocean! Good luck! 

21 hours ago, hellooo said:

Does anyone have any insights on these schools?  I applied to them for their Bilingual Certificate, but I am out of state and cannot afford to visit them both and don't know much about the rest of the department/professors.  Any advice would be appreciated!  Thank you!

19 hours ago, SLPihope2B said:

Same question but SDSU vs ASU. I’m not bilingual, but i want to work clinically w kids with autism. I want to live in San Diego or SoCal eventually after graduating 

help

I've visited all 3 of these programs a couple years ago, so I'll try my best to offer my insights. Right now I'm deciding between ASU and another program. 

I felt that SDSU's program was my least favorite compared to both Arizona schools and it has a much smaller on-campus clinic than the other 2. I met with a professor and he was very nice. I just had better experiences at both Arizona and ASU. Both have really nice clinics and all 3 of these schools have great bilingual programs. I liked that Arizona has a separate pediatric clinic and overall I think they have a really academically strong, yet supportive program.  ASU also had great facilities and they definitely place an emphasis on pediatrics if you're interested in working with kids. Also, all the faculty I met were very warm and caring. However, if you want to stay in San Diego, it might make more sense to go to SDSU since you'll likely have the opportunity to make connections with other local professionals as opposed to going out of state. 

That's a bummer that you can't visit. It really helps to get a feel for the program, but I hope this helps!

14 hours ago, hellooo said:

Is the Larry P Law really followed??  I heard rumors that in CA, black students are given different IQ tests because of their race and are automatically test for AAVE dialect, but didn't know if it was true.  

Yes, it is followed. My friend works in Compton and they follow it. My district has very little AA population but when we do have an AA student we do not use assessments that have IQ testing involved. We do not automatically assume every AA student uses AAVE because that wouldn’t be an accurate assumption to make. But the IQ test restriction is for all AA students, regardless of their dialect. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2018 at 8:19 PM, rsolo said:

I've visited all 3 of these programs a couple years ago, so I'll try my best to offer my insights. Right now I'm deciding between ASU and another program. 

I felt that SDSU's program was my least favorite compared to both Arizona schools and it has a much smaller on-campus clinic than the other 2. I met with a professor and he was very nice. I just had better experiences at both Arizona and ASU. Both have really nice clinics and all 3 of these schools have great bilingual programs. I liked that Arizona has a separate pediatric clinic and overall I think they have a really academically strong, yet supportive program.  ASU also had great facilities and they definitely place an emphasis on pediatrics if you're interested in working with kids. Also, all the faculty I met were very warm and caring. However, if you want to stay in San Diego, it might make more sense to go to SDSU since you'll likely have the opportunity to make connections with other local professionals as opposed to going out of state. 

That's a bummer that you can't visit. It really helps to get a feel for the program, but I hope this helps!

Did you find SDSU's environment supportive/collaborative?  I've talked to a UA graduate and they told me that the professors really try to make sure the environment is collaborative and not competitive like other programs can be.  I think that is one of the things I am most worried about and hated most about undergrad.