Communication Sciences and Disorders: CSUF vs. CHAPMAN???

I got accepted into the CSD grad programs at both CSUF and Chapman and need help deciding between the two. The only posts I've seen so far that compare CSUF and Chapman have been about the post-bacc programs. I am inquiring about the Masters Programs between the two. Pros and cons of each school? Any insights would be much appreciated. Thank you!

17 hours ago, Want2banSLP said:

I got accepted into the CSD grad programs at both CSUF and Chapman and need help deciding between the two. The only posts I've seen so far that compare CSUF and Chapman have been about the post-bacc programs. I am inquiring about the Masters Programs between the two. Pros and cons of each school? Any insights would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Are you a CA resident?  If so CSUF will be significantly cheaper than Chapman (which is a private university).  

Go for the one that will put you in the least amount of debt. And wait for financial offers before you make a decision! Sometimes you won't get them right away because they might have been offered to other students. If those students end up declining their offers, the TA/GA/fellowship offer could go to you. Good luck!

I apologize that this will be a bit negative but i've heard from friends at both programs that both programs have some problems with organization.  I met both of these friends because I was enrolled in CSUF's post bacc program.  One friend is in Fullerton's grad program the other friend is in Chapman's graduate program.  This is not to say you won't be perfectly fine and learn what you need to learn while you're there. 

I do think that Fullerton's program might take a little longer, but I haven't checked on that.  My friend at Fullerton almost had to complete an additional semester/year due to the lack of organization at Fullerton.  My friend at Chapman hasn't given me any specifics but has told me she wishes the program was organized better.  If at all possible try to reach out to some current graduate students.  Maybe you can contact the programs and ask to be given a current student's name willing to talk to you?  If it's a challenge to get ahold of someone take that as a sign!!!

I know this is mostly negative but know you are going to be fine in either program, you just may need to be really on top of stuff in order to make sure the administration isn't dropping the ball on your education/clinical opportunities.  Good luck!

On 3/20/2018 at 1:32 PM, Want2banSLP said:

Congratulations on getting into both programs! I highly recommend contacting current graduate students to get a rundown of each program. A group of grad students at CSUF started a Facebook page, Facebook.com/Cds.BridgingTheGap that allows you to connect with grad students in their program and a handful of other programs. Might be helpful with getting in contact with students. Hope this helps with your decision making! 

Hey! CSUF notified me of my acceptance through e-mail on Monday afternoon. I have a feeling they will be accepting people in waves because the graduate committee requested to let them know by Friday, March 23 whether we were an absolute yes/no or a maybe for the program. 

CSUF also held an open house last week, where they told us the top 70 candidates had been invited. So if you got an e-mail for the open house, I think you still have a good chance! Hope that helps and good luck!

9 hours ago, tealeaf said:

Congratulations!!! How did CSUF notify you? I'm still waiting and getting more anxious by the second. The portal only says I don't have any results yet. Does anyone know if they accept people in waves?

Hi! Thank you! I got an email from Dr. Tsao on Monday morning notifying me of my acceptance. However, my portal still says that I haven't been accepted yet so I probably wouldn't go off of the student portal for your admission results. But like slp.to.be said, if you got invited to the Open House, your chances of being accepted are probably higher if people decline their admission into the program.

6 minutes ago, HollyG said:

Just curious if Chapman gave a deadline for you to commit. I am still waiting to hear and was wondering when they might be contacting more people.

In accordance with ASHA, Chapman is giving us until April 15th to decide.