Queens College vs Molloy vs Hofstra

Hello grad cafe! I've narrowed down my acceptance decisions to these 3 programs: 

CUNY Queens College, Hofstra University, and Molloy College.

I really LOVED Molloy's clinic and how involved they are with their students. Their instrumentation emphasis is a major attraction for me since I would like to work in a medical setting and with swallowing disorders. I also know that Hofstra has affiliations with Northwell and Lenox hospitals on the island. I am overly ecstatic about my acceptance to QC, but I believe that they are more school-based than the other programs. 

I will be meeting with my advisors to talk this over with, but I was wondering if anyone here has any advice on any or all of these programs. Maybe there are others here who have similar concerns. As of now, my gut is telling me to go with QC-- the student outcomes are amazing, and the cohort is so small. I just want to know how many of those students find work in a hospital setting. I will be updating this thread with more information as the days go by.

Good luck, everyone!!

Edited by Seanny55
typo

Hi! I don’t have an answer regarding your question (so sorry!) but was just wondering when you interviewed with Queens? I’m still waiting for a response after my interview and want to know if they’ve already called all accepted students or if it’s based on when you had an interview. Thank you!

2 hours ago, Sga71494 said:

Hi! I don’t have an answer regarding your question (so sorry!) but was just wondering when you interviewed with Queens? I’m still waiting for a response after my interview and want to know if they’ve already called all accepted students or if it’s based on when you had an interview. Thank you!

Hey! So I had my interview at the end of Feb -- I believe that it was on the 26th. I hope that you hear back from them tomorrow or later on this week! Good luck :)

Hi! I'm in a similar situation. My deadline to submit my money for Molloy passed on Monday, so I emailed them and declined my acceptance. However, someone I went to undergrad with goes there and rumor has it she loves it! I'm not sure if she wants to be more medically based or school based, but I feel like Molloy might be slightly more school based. I could be wrong though, that was just the vibe I got when I went there. 

I have heard INCREDIBLE things about Queens College, so congrats on that! It says on their website that their externships include hospitals! I would call and ask about it just to clarify, but I bet they have some good affiliations with hospitals. 

I am going to Hofstra's Accepted Students Day next week. I haven't really heard much at all about Hofstra to be honest, so if you've heard anything (positive or negative), please let me know! 

I hope this kind of helped! 

@AH-SLP I have a friend who goes to Hofstra and absolutely loves it. She said that it is hard (just like every other program--we are in grad school :) ) but the faculty has her back and also her cohort is amazing.
I hope this helps :) 

On 3/28/2018 at 7:24 AM, AH-SLP said:

Hi! I'm in a similar situation. My deadline to submit my money for Molloy passed on Monday, so I emailed them and declined my acceptance. However, someone I went to undergrad with goes there and rumor has it she loves it! I'm not sure if she wants to be more medically based or school based, but I feel like Molloy might be slightly more school based. I could be wrong though, that was just the vibe I got when I went there. 

I have heard INCREDIBLE things about Queens College, so congrats on that! It says on their website that their externships include hospitals! I would call and ask about it just to clarify, but I bet they have some good affiliations with hospitals. 

I am going to Hofstra's Accepted Students Day next week. I haven't really heard much at all about Hofstra to be honest, so if you've heard anything (positive or negative), please let me know! 

I hope this kind of helped! 

Hello! 

I found out last week I was accepted into Hofstra's program as well but I will be unable to make it out to the open house since flights are about $600 (yikes!). Would you mind filling me in on the open house, what you though of the clinics/professors/program and such? I'm currently deciding between this school and UVM (University of Vermont). 

Thank you in advance!