Can I connect experience from my current job to speech-language pathology?

Hi everyone!

So, I'm aiming to apply for grad school this fall in hopes of starting a master's program in Fall 2019. I want to begin brainstorming ideas for my letter of intent/statement of purpose.

I currently work as an instructional aide in a day class at a school. The students I work with have emotional/behavioral disturbances (EBD). I know at least one student in my class has speech every week. I've also worked with students with Autism at a high school on occasion. 

Here is my question: Will I be able to connect my experiences as an aide to EBD students with speech-language pathology? Is my experience as an aide relevant to the field?  I'm beginning to look for articles from ASHA that discuss communicative disorders in children and teenagers with EBD. I hope that doing research will help me connect my current work experience with speech. I want to show an admissions committee that I can relate my work/job duties as an aide to speech.

I would love some advice/wisdom/thoughts; all of that good stuff!

Thank you :)

Absolutely. Beyond research into, think of the skills you need to work with these children--patience, flexibility, etc. I'm sure you can think of a ton of ways that's going to apply to almost any person you work with in this field. You can connect almost any work/volunteer experience to SLP work honestly!

I watched this video last year. Unfortunately I don’t remember too much about it, but I do remember them talking about how prevalent speech and language delays are in kids with EBD. It may be of interest for you if you can get your hands on it! 

http://www.speechpathology.com/slp-ceus/course/behavioral-strategies-and-considerations-for-7757