So... I'm in a [funding] pickle. Help!

RazzleDazzle2996

So I am in a good yet bad pickle between two graduate programs and I don't know what to do. So I will give you all the run-down of everything to give you the whole picture.

I have applied to Louisiana State University, Southern Illinois University, and University of Kentucky for a MS in Animal Science.

LSU - I fell in love with and my POI seemed great when I visited. And his students had nothing but good things to say about him. Another benefit is I would be his only grad student come Fall. When it comes to an assistantship he never formally gave me an offer, but it was implied. So I applied and got recommended for admission by the department - without funding. I told the POI this and he was upset for me and is talking to the school director on my behalf because he has funding for me from what he's told me. I was also accepted by the school overall for admission! yay! I just can't accept until I know directly about funding as I cannot afford LSU as an out-of-state student without going into heavy debt. The POI said he's trying his best, the school director is a busy man currently so getting a hold of him is difficult.

UK - I have heard nothing from them, but I am not really upset. my POI there said he would love to have me, but he's full on students atm. He seemed great.

SIU - This was my fall-back school as it is in-state for me. The POI loved me from the start it seemed as I have research experience and she like my writing in my review paper. She gave me a partially funded offer (Summer, Fall) and I would have to cover the rest. But she gave me the added bonus of probably getting me defended and out a semester early to save $. But I would have to start right away after graduating with my BS this May. She seemed really positive and encouraging to me, I just think she is assuming I am coming there currently as she has "everything a go" for me to start this Summer.

The pickle part is I think she forgot I applied to other schools, as she is/was aware of LSU, and she wants to do a phone conference with me soon to plan Summer right away. But I don't know how to tell her I am waiting on another school (specifically, my dream offer), or how to tell the LSU POI I need to hear ASAP and I am being pulled two different directions. I just don't want to give her false hopes, or hold out for LSU and wind up with no funding there then have nothing. 

I really do not know what to do. Like I said its a somewhat good problem as I am between schools, just not in a beneficial way.

I can't help, but I would strongly recommend asking this on the academia stackexchange (with specific schools and identifying info removed). The people there would be in a pretty good position to help you as most of them are either faculty or senior grad students.

I would just kindly email your POIs at LSU and SIU and let them know the situation so they are on the same page as you. They will completely understand that you applied elsewhere and if you can let them know your situation that could maybe help get things settled and maybe even hear back from LSU about funding more quickly.

I agree with the statement above. The POI at SIU should understand that most students apply to more than one school and if she has looked at your application, she should know. You can call or email, just let her know you that you're still waiting to hear back from LSU (i.e. "I appreciate your support however, I'm still waiting to hear back from one more school before I make my decision"). Also, don't be afraid to contact the director yourself. They may not respond but it might be worth a try. 

Yea, I would definitely reach out to the director at LSU yourself to see about the funding situation. That said, I also wouldn't commit to going to SIU knowing that you'd be on the hook for a year of tuition, fees, and living expenses yourself. Even with in-state tuition, that will be expensive. If I were you, I'd contact your POI at SIU and ask them about the possibility of getting funding from the department for the remainder of your time there.