NYU Wagner Decisions are out

Still waiting as well.. I applied Jan 5th and haven't heard a peep from them besides "your app has been submitted." I wonder if this late notification impacts their matriculation rate? I certainly am displeased with their admissions process and can't help but project this negative feeling on the school as a whole, as emotional and irrational as that may be.

Still waiting as well.. I applied Jan 5th and haven't heard a peep from them besides "your app has been submitted." I wonder if this late notification impacts their matriculation rate? I certainly am displeased with their admissions process and can't help but project this negative feeling on the school as a whole, as emotional and irrational as that may be.

No, I'm totally with you. I feel the exact same way about Harris right now. (I still haven't heard back from Harris, despite having everything there by the deadline). There's no way I can imagine matriculating at a school this disorganized / uninterested in their future student body. If this is how they deal with applications, I can't imagine how they deal with the competing internship and job-placement needs of a 250+ person student body.

It's disheartening to see Wagner doing the same thing to you.

No, I'm totally with you. I feel the exact same way about Harris right now. (I still haven't heard back from Harris, despite having everything there by the deadline). There's no way I can imagine matriculating at a school this disorganized / uninterested in their future student body. If this is how they deal with applications, I can't imagine how they deal with the competing internship and job-placement needs of a 250+ person student body.

It's disheartening to see Wagner doing the same thing to you.

I agree that it is difficult to wait so long during such an anxious time, but Wagner is pretty transparent about the length of time it could take to review an application. Technically, they are still within the timeframe posted on their website. I think we were all just hoping they wouldn't wait until the deadline to make all of their decisons : ) Luckily, we only have a couple more days!

I agree that it is difficult to wait so long during such an anxious time, but Wagner is pretty transparent about the length of time it could take to review an application. Technically, they are still within the timeframe posted on their website. I think we were all just hoping they wouldn't wait until the deadline to make all of their decisons : ) Luckily, we only have a couple more days!

The have changed their deadline for notification at least once or twice, so technically they could always change it to fit into their time frame. They had it at March 29th, then March 30th, and now it is March 31st... How long is it going to be?

Colleges should really send out notification and complete funding information (scholarships, grants, federal loans, assistantships, etc) all at once. That way we can make a decision and be done with it. Both my schools have yet to put that together. If they did I could accept or turn down Wagner, giving them a better handle on how many students they can admit and shorten the wait time for those on their unofficial waiting list.

Right now it's just a mess.

For your information, I applied to Wagner School on October 24th and was notified that I will get a decision in 8-10 weeks. So I wait for almost three months, no news. Then I called the office in late Feburary(they would NEVER return my email). The adcom people told me the decision will be sent out in early March by email. now it's late march and still no news from them.

Because of Wagner's inefficiency and the unpleasant way they treated applicants,I am not going to attend even if they admitted me.

From what I've gathered from my visit to USC any financial aid other than scholarship/merit based aid is pretty standard.

Less any scholarships, you can borrow federal loans up to the cost of attendance (tuition, fees, books, rent, living expenses, etc):

Federal Stafford Loans (per year):

8,500 subsidized

12,000 unsubsidized

6.8% fixed interest with 1% origination fee

Federal Graduate PLUS loans for amount about that:

7.9% fixed interest rate

3-4% origination fee

Need credit approval, no credit score check, just looking for defaults, etc

Unless NYU has other need-based financial aid for graduate students that I am unaware of.

I know this forum is generally targeting the top top top tier graduate programs in the country. And that usually refers to the same 10 or 15 programs over and over, and that is all good - it is the reason forums like this exist. As for me? I decided that I wanted to have the MPA degree and not an MPP early on, so I was limited. I cant afford SIPA, and looked solely in the NY Metroish area, as that is my base and where I plan on being for the rest of my life. So it came down, really, to 5 schools for me: Syracuse, NYU, Rutgers, John Jay, and Baruch. I went to undergrad in Ithaca, and couldn't live through another winter like that (I have been in SAN DIEGO for the last two years to avoid weather in general...). I don't like that Syracuse is a one year program, and didn't think the internship opportunities would be as plentiful in Central NY - not including the selectivity, the cost, and again, the winter.... John Jay's MPA program is very law and order oriented, so that was out. So it came down to Wagner, Rutgers, and Baruch. I applied at Rutgers early decision (12/1) because it was the earliest deadline. Once I got in, Baruch was out because the program at Rutgers is from what I can gather a touch above, particularly in internship placement.

I have to tell you all, my experience with Rutgers has been the complete opposite of what Ive had with NYU. Obviously I am a little bitter, but I didn't know that I wouldn't be hearing back before JUne until a few days ago. So for the last few months, I've assumed that if I were to get accepted at Wagner, it would come down to a choice between the two schools.

There was someone on here who was going to be weighing a choice between NYU and Baruch -- I would really suggest looking into Rutgers as well. I think it flies slgihtly under the radar, and Newark itself doesn't have the best reputation. But we're talking about a program that allows students to take classes across the street at NJIT, at the law school, the business school, and the Bloustein School if a student designs a route that takes them that way. It really appealed...and lets not forget, Newark is still only about a 25 minute train ride from NYC - so the opportunity to work/intern in NY is just as viable, and if you're into government, Rutgers apparently places plenty of MPA students in local government offices.

Lets put it this way: I never put too much into reputation. for undergrad, I was accepted by some extremely selective schools (the bucknells, lehighs, frank and marshall, even conn college), and in the end decided on the one with the worst reputation (Ithaca College). I had a feeling. The campus was buzzing, the school was renovating, a capital campaign was in place..... In the 4 years I was there, the school expanded and toughened academic standards - so by the time I graduated, the degree was worth way more than those who graduated four years prior. I have yet to have a problem finding a job and know that the academic rigor was on par with friends who had gone to some of the other schools i decided against.

Graduate school is probably a little different. We all know the degree is not worth solely what you pay for it, but still.. I have a feeling about Rutgers, too. Newark is undergoing a dramatic transformation, however slowly, and I think the university is piggybacking on that growth by dedicating more resources to graduate study. Not to discount the fact that it is the most diverse campus in the entire country, either. If you are headed off into public service......I think thats a positive.

anyway, i just wanted to put that out there. Thats not to say that if for some reason NYU decides to get back to the second wave of students more quickly than listed on the notification table, and I get in, I won't consider it. But I'm very comfortable knowing that I could end up at a program that seems to be generating a whole bunch of positive feedback. If you are planning on going into the public sector - and not private sector consulting type work - I would say NYU and Rutgers offer comparable opportunities post-graduation. It is certainly not close to as big a program either...

If anyone wants to chime in, I'd like to hear what you think too.

Rant over...

This might be a tough question to answer for some folks: Of those of you who have not heard back (i'm in that boat) who would be sincerely surprised if they did not get in (aka you have already received admittance from comparable if not "higher ranking" schools)?

I would be surprised if I got in... NYU was a bit of a stretch for me.

This might be a tough question to answer for some folks: Of those of you who have not heard back (i'm in that boat) who would be sincerely surprised if they did not get in (aka you have already received admittance from comparable if not "higher ranking" schools)?

I just called them and the admission guy told me 'end of march'. I think that will be the line till 11.59pm of 31st march.Anyway, I am joining Maxwell for sure (don;t know about "higher rankings" )

I got into Columbia and The New School, but you never know with these things. I am not feeling so confident about NYU anymore, maybe it's because some people already found out and although they did post March 31st as the notification deadline, I wonder if folks who are rejected/waitlisted find out last...

I got into Columbia and The New School, but you never know with these things. I am not feeling so confident about NYU anymore, maybe it's because some people already found out and although they did post March 31st as the notification deadline, I wonder if folks who are rejected/waitlisted find out last...

I'm hoping that's not the case. I know some people received rejection emails starting weeks ago, so I think they're taking things on a case by case basis, depending on when you submitted all of your materials. Fingers crossed!

I also got into New School - are you considering it?

oh, so you do know of people who got rejected? I was wondering about that because it seemed like everyone who heard got accepted, which made me feel less optimistic about not hearing earlier. The New School has a great program (from what I have heard) and it's know for being more innovative that some other institutions. I would definitely consider it.

oh, so you do know of people who got rejected? I was wondering about that because it seemed like everyone who heard got accepted, which made me feel less optimistic about not hearing earlier. The New School has a great program (from what I have heard) and it's know for being more innovative that some other institutions. I would definitely consider it.

I have two friends who were rejected, but accepted to SIPA (with no scholarship) and saw a few posts on here from people who were rejected as well. I guess all we can do is wait and see.

I'm going to the alumni panel for New School tonight - I'll let you know how it was!

I have two friends who were rejected, but accepted to SIPA (with no scholarship) and saw a few posts on here from people who were rejected as well. I guess all we can do is wait and see.

I'm going to the alumni panel for New School tonight - I'll let you know how it was!

That's great information, i was under the consideration that they had not sent out any rejections thus far. In addition, there seems to be some pretty strong applicants that have yet to hear back, perhaps all hope is not lost. Good luck everyone.

I was admitted to Woodrow Wilson, Kennedy and Maxwell. Wagner is the only school that hasn't given me a decision.

Edited by pjb2105

I also received my admission offer via email today. No funding though.

One other question--for those who got accepted/rejected already...did anything change in the status of your online application?

Nothing changed on the application page for me, and the letter they emailed me is not on there either.

I feel for you guys on Wagner's unofficial wait list. I've known for several weeks now that I got in. Yet without the all-important financial information, I simply cannot accept or decline their offer. This seems to be a recurring issue with the school. Last year there were waves of acceptances, rejections and more acceptances again. It went well into April. I'd imagine after financial aide does their part, they will have more slots freed up.