Best MA programs in Polisci?

Hi all,

what are the best MA programs in poli sci in the US (and also UK)? I heard Columbia's MA was a scam, so I was wondering if you could give me some advice as to where to look

Probably UChicago MAPSS/CIR in the US? Although they sometimes offer partial funding, tuition there without funding can be a doozy. I've done a few visits at top 10 programs this cycle and ran into quite a few fellow admits who did or are currently doing UChicago MAPSS degree. I think someone who posted on the application cycle thread mentioned going there so you might want to PM them if you can find the mention. An application to the masters program (and for tuition funding) is automatically submitted when you apply for the Poli-Sci PhD.

MA programs in political science in the US are rare and usually not very good. I'm sure there's some decent programs out there though.

I think there's a few strategies if you're aiming to get into a doctoral program:

1) If you study comparative, an area studies MA.

2) If you are interested in policy, a public policy MA.

3) The more general interdisciplinary programs like MAPSS.

4) Quantitative focused masters, like stats or Econ. 

5) Do an MA in Canada or the UK. 

They all have tradeoffs, and strengths and weaknesses. 

Are you a US citizen? Do you plan to get a PhD after this master?

If so, perhaps take a look at Harvard Extension for an MLM in government. I looked through the curriculum and syllabi and it looks pretty good, plus it's a relatively good price for a Master's. I paid more than twice that of Harvard Extension tuition for an area studies master's, and I wish I'd gone to Harvard Extension instead. Would've been less debt burden, that's for sure. 

thank you all! I think area studies would fit most closely with what i wanna do. however, i cant find any kind of ranking of universities offering area studies. Any advice?

36 minutes ago, cbsag123 said:

europe! would it make more sense to look into programs in europe for that then?

I don't think that's necessary, unless you would really like to study in Europe. There are some really fine MA programs in European Studies in the US. Are you interested in Western or Central/Eastern Europe? If the latter, there are several really strong programs in the US (e.g., Stanford, Harvard, Columbia, Yale, Indiana, Wisconsin, etc.).

I just finished my process of searching and applying for MA programs so I'll share what might be useful for you since you mentioned Germany.  I looked into MA programs taught in English in Germany and Italy quite thoroughly. Mannheim University, Cologne University, and Bremen University all seem to have good MA and PhD programs to continue into. They have tuition for around $3,000/yr starting this year or free for Bremen. Flensburg has a free tuition English taught European Studies program but I didn't look too far into it's merits. I applied to Bremen and the process wasn't too different from the US. The tough thing about applying for many of the German/Italian programs is that the application time periods vary widely. I ended having to decide on an offer before the application window even opened to start applying for 2/3's of the foreign schools I was looking to apply to.

In the end I decided for personal reasons to pursue an MA in the states.

Edited by Leviathan

I can personally vouch for MAPSS for political science. I mostly know the theory results, but I think my entire poli sci cohort did well in PhD apps. For example, I know a comparativist who's staying at Chicago, one who's going to Brown, and another who's going to Princeton. 

Don't listen to the unwarranted vitriol-- if you put a lot of effort into MAPSS you can get a lot out of I'm (I'm starting at Yale this fall.) 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/26/2018 at 12:49 AM, Clytemnahstra said:

I can personally vouch for MAPSS for political science. I mostly know the theory results, but I think my entire poli sci cohort did well in PhD apps. For example, I know a comparativist who's staying at Chicago, one who's going to Brown, and another who's going to Princeton. 

Don't listen to the unwarranted vitriol-- if you put a lot of effort into MAPSS you can get a lot out of I'm (I'm starting at Yale this fall.) 

Seconded. I am a MAPSS graduate and got into Stanford University amongst others. MAPSS PhD placements are readily available online.