Cost of Living for Morningside Heights (NYC)?

MettaSutta

Will $40,000 be enough for cost of living for fall 2019, spring 2020, summer 2020, and fall 2020?  That's how much I should have saved up before I start at Columbia!  I'm a pretty low maintenance gal and would prefer to only take out loans for tuition.  

17 hours ago, rising_star said:

It'll entirely depend on where you want to live, how many people you want to live with, etc. Maybe @juilletmercredi can chime in?

I'm fine with living with roommates.  I want to be a comfortable (20 mins) walking distance from Columbia's campus.  I will need to be able to keep an emotional support cat. 

Yes, if you live with roommates and live frugally. Apply early for the university housing at Columbia (UAH) by the Morningside campus. Most graduate students get into that, and all of those units will be within 20 minutes walking distance to Columbia's campus (most of them less - I lived in a unit that was directly behind the campus, and it took me about 3 minutes to cross the street and get into my department's building). Since you are leaving in December 2020 you'll really want to find a university apartment, because the lease terms will be more flexible. You don't want to deal with trying to sublet a market-rate apartment while trying to graduate. (Not that the market-rate apartments in Morningside Heights are affordable anyway.)

Morningside Heights is a pricey neighborhood, not just in terms of apartments but also in terms of amenities. The restaurants are expensive; the grocery stores are expensive; the bars are a mix. Luckily, you're not too far a walk from Harlem where you can walk and get some cheaper food and groceries if you want.

51 minutes ago, juilletmercredi said:

Yes, if you live with roommates and live frugally. Apply early for the university housing at Columbia (UAH) by the Morningside campus. Most graduate students get into that, and all of those units will be within 20 minutes walking distance to Columbia's campus (most of them less - I lived in a unit that was directly behind the campus, and it took me about 3 minutes to cross the street and get into my department's building). Since you are leaving in December 2020 you'll really want to find a university apartment, because the lease terms will be more flexible. You don't want to deal with trying to sublet a market-rate apartment while trying to graduate. (Not that the market-rate apartments in Morningside Heights are affordable anyway.)

Morningside Heights is a pricey neighborhood, not just in terms of apartments but also in terms of amenities. The restaurants are expensive; the grocery stores are expensive; the bars are a mix. Luckily, you're not too far a walk from Harlem where you can walk and get some cheaper food and groceries if you want.

Would you suggest applying for housing right away? Or it's too late already?