Philosophy M.A. programs in Florida -- any decent? Decent philosophy certificate/flexible programs in the south?

wwwwdddddd

I'm about to be in Gainesville, FL for the next two years after getting my MA from Georgetown in English. I'm looking into a Master's in Philosophy -- anyone have any idea whether any FL schools have decent philosophy MA or certificate programs, or maybe philosophy certificate/critical theory oriented programs in the south more generally? (AL, GA, TN, NC, SC -- but stuck with Florida for the forthcoming year). 

Since I didn't major in philosophy undergrad, my standards aren't ridiculously high, but I don't want to mar my CV (especially for applying to PhDs) by transitioning from Georgetown to a lesser program or school without knowing it, since I'm not really in-the-loop as to grad school in philosophy though I've been studying continental and classical philosophy/psychoanalysis/existentialism for years since undergrad, and have written an undergrad/MA thesis on 19th century continental. 

I know that UF is a good school but can anyone affirm whether it's a good philosophy program? None of the rankings I can find online for Philosophy MA programs are consistent -- some say that FSU is good, some say that University of Central Florida is best, some say that UF is better (I know it's higher ranked as a public university -- but in terms of a terminal MA). And does anyone have experience getting two MA's in philosophy/English or the humanities and experience/insight/words of warning to offer as to whether that's a good track? I'm going to go for the English PHD but I love philosophy and I think I'll be a better thinker and candidate for the program I want to get into 2 years down the road. Any advice or commentary welcome -- especially if you know of certificate programs or programs that incorporate theory, psychoanalysis etc. 

For background, I have a strong background in continental 19th century; critical theory (Derrida, Lacan, Bloom, Foucault, deconstruction, other forms of poststructuralism); psychoanalysis (Freud & Lacan); Aristotle and Lucretius; and excelled in undergrad at Kant, Plato, and other touchstones that I haven't had the chance to explore further as an English major. Really strong on and passionate about Nietzsche, really interested in more Freud (big in philosophy programs?). I'm looking to learn more in phenomenology, Hegel, Husserl, Sartre, Heidegger; philosophy of mind; really, I haven't encountered anything I haven't liked (other than business ethics). Clearly not too well-equipped to talk about it but always enlightening and really inspiring so I want to go for it without getting stuck in a program and realizing it's not the quality of instruction worth 2 years pursuing -- so any experience or opinion from someone in the discipline on these Florida programs would be greatly appreciated!!! Just trying to find a way to study it while I'm in Gainesville -- somehow..

3 hours ago, B_0415 said:

I'm about to be in Gainesville, FL for the next two years after getting my MA from Georgetown in English. I'm looking into a Master's in Philosophy -- anyone have any idea whether any FL schools have decent philosophy MA or certificate programs, or maybe philosophy certificate/critical theory oriented programs in the south more generally? (AL, GA, TN, NC, SC -- but stuck with Florida for the forthcoming year). 

Since I didn't major in philosophy undergrad, my standards aren't ridiculously high, but I don't want to mar my CV (especially for applying to PhDs) by transitioning from Georgetown to a lesser program or school without knowing it, since I'm not really in-the-loop as to grad school in philosophy though I've been studying continental and classical philosophy/psychoanalysis/existentialism for years since undergrad, and have written an undergrad/MA thesis on 19th century continental. 

I know that UF is a good school but can anyone affirm whether it's a good philosophy program? None of the rankings I can find online for Philosophy MA programs are consistent -- some say that FSU is good, some say that University of Central Florida is best, some say that UF is better (I know it's higher ranked as a public university -- but in terms of a terminal MA). And does anyone have experience getting two MA's in philosophy/English or the humanities and experience/insight/words of warning to offer as to whether that's a good track? I'm going to go for the English PHD but I love philosophy and I think I'll be a better thinker and candidate for the program I want to get into 2 years down the road. Any advice or commentary welcome -- especially if you know of certificate programs or programs that incorporate theory, psychoanalysis etc. 

For background, I have a strong background in continental 19th century; critical theory (Derrida, Lacan, Bloom, Foucault, deconstruction, other forms of poststructuralism); psychoanalysis (Freud & Lacan); Aristotle and Lucretius; and excelled in undergrad at Kant, Plato, and other touchstones that I haven't had the chance to explore further as an English major. Really strong on and passionate about Nietzsche, really interested in more Freud (big in philosophy programs?). I'm looking to learn more in phenomenology, Hegel, Husserl, Sartre, Heidegger; philosophy of mind; really, I haven't encountered anything I haven't liked (other than business ethics). Clearly not too well-equipped to talk about it but always enlightening and really inspiring so I want to go for it without getting stuck in a program and realizing it's not the quality of instruction worth 2 years pursuing -- so any experience or opinion from someone in the discipline on these Florida programs would be greatly appreciated!!! Just trying to find a way to study it while I'm in Gainesville -- somehow..

Hi B - 

This application cycle I was admitted to both FSU and UF for their PhD programs. I also visited FSU's campus, and later accepted their offer for admission. I will say that FSU has almost no continental stuff going on there, but they do have a strong program overall. Although several people do philosophy of psychology, so that may overlap with your interests some, and they have a talented Ancient guy there.

UF has more of a continental presence going on, for sure. I would go to their faculty page and look at those listed as continental and see if their research vibes with yours. As far as strength of program, you'll do well at UF; they are solid. They had to suspend their program for a bit because the university cut their funding, but they are back, and they have some quality work going on there. You could do much worse. It seems, also, to have a vibrant grad population. I can't really say if it will be worth your time, though. It depends on your overall goals. If you're going for the English PhD, though, I wouldn't worry too much about your choice. UF will be just fine for you. 

I hope this helps a bit!

9 hours ago, B_0415 said:

Georgia State has a really excellent MA programme, and are generally highly recommended for work on continental work - though what 'continental' means is of course a matter of some dispute - you'll probably find plenty to occupy you with regards to Kant, Nietzsche, and Hegel, but probably not as much with regard to Derrida, Lacan, and Freud. GSU also has a very good placement record for high-ranking PhD programmes, so there's that to consider.