Housing in Grad School

Just curious about everyone's thoughts on housing for grad school. Are you getting a roommate or living alone? I am contemplating both. I know a roommate will save money and will be nice to have someone to talk to and stress out with but I have lived with a roommate for the past 4 years. I feel like living alone might be a nice change up and it might be nice to go home and be alone after a long day on campus. What are your thoughts? Why are you getting a roommate/living alone?

34 minutes ago, Jordyn_M463 said:

Just curious about everyone's thoughts on housing for grad school. Are you getting a roommate or living alone? I am contemplating both. I know a roommate will save money and will be nice to have someone to talk to and stress out with but I have lived with a roommate for the past 4 years. I feel like living alone might be a nice change up and it might be nice to go home and be alone after a long day on campus. What are your thoughts? Why are you getting a roommate/living alone?

My campus offers off campus graduate student housing (that FAFSA pays for) which is what I'll be doing since I won't have enough money to pay rent monthly. I'll have 3 other roommates that I'll be sharing the apartment with but I'll get my own bed and bathroom so the only space we have to share is the kitchen, laundry area and living room. It's a nice balance of being alone but also having others to be with if  I want to

I currently live with my long-term partner, and wherever I go he goes, so obviously I'll be living with him. We've had our own apartment for years and are totally over having roommates (too much drama!). His dad is currently harassing us to share an apartment with this apparently really cool student he met somehow. He's sending us pictures, wanting us to email the guy, and being totally oblivious to our needs and desires. The plan is to ignore him until the student rents the room to someone else. :) It's definitely going to cost more to have our own space, but it's just not worth the potential worry of clicking with a total stranger. If you're a more social person then it's probably a good idea, but I'd rather not have someone throwing parties at 3 am or bitching about the four toast crumbs I left on the counter!

I am living alone next year as a first year PhD student.  I have never done it  so it will be an interesting experience.   What I am looking forward to the most is getting to have the decor I want.   My roommates have been very hit or miss with me either getting along great and becoming best friends for life,  or the drug dealer roommate from hell, who gave out copies of our key to guys at bars.   I will never live with a stranger again for the rest of my life, since I learned that even through google searches could not prevent you from having a crazy roommate in the honors dorm.   If I find someone I like, I would consider a roommate in the future but since I can afford a one bedroom alone that's what I am doing.  Don't risk your sanity if you don't have to.

I live by myself! I wanted the experience of having my own apartment because as an undergraduate I lived on campus all four years. It's totally worth it in my opinion to live by yourself. You don't have to deal with roommate drama and can do whatever you want. I'm an introvert so I like my time alone and can focus on school. If I wanna see my friends I just invite them over. For me it's a win win. 

20 hours ago, soontobeslp2018 said:

My campus offers off campus graduate student housing (that FAFSA pays for) which is what I'll be doing since I won't have enough money to pay rent monthly. I'll have 3 other roommates that I'll be sharing the apartment with but I'll get my own bed and bathroom so the only space we have to share is the kitchen, laundry area and living room. It's a nice balance of being alone but also having others to be with if  I want to

If you don't mind me asking what do you mean by FAFSA paying for it? How does the funding work? For example, is it through loans? How did you figure all this out (sorry for so many questions)

18 minutes ago, Mel.SLP.2018 said:

If you don't mind me asking what do you mean by FAFSA paying for it? How does the funding work? For example, is it through loans? How did you figure all this out (sorry for so many questions)

the loans I get will cover it. I received close to 10,000 per semester and tuition plus housing is a little over that but I plan on taking out the grad PLUS loan to cover the rest (around 2,000). I'm also using my schools health insurance which increases the cost of tuition