Schools that accept low GREs scores; HELP!!

37 minutes ago, BlackGirlSpeechie said:

Hello everyone!! What are some schools that accept lower GREs from students for grad programs? I have a 3.1 GPA but average, average GRE scores!! Preferably in TX, but I'm open! Thanks!!

What are your scores exactly? Considering your GPA is on the lower end of acceptable (in the eyes of grad school), you may benefit from trying to improve your scores.  As for schools, I don't know exactly but if you look on the ASHA website, each school will have stats on the students they accept. 

19 minutes ago, WesttoEast18 said:

What are your scores exactly? Considering your GPA is on the lower end of acceptable (in the eyes of grad school), you may benefit from trying to improve your scores.  As for schools, I don't know exactly but if you look on the ASHA website, each school will have stats on the students they accept. 

138 Q, 147 V, 4.0 AW

36 minutes ago, BlackGirlSpeechie said:

138 Q, 147 V, 4.0 AW

If I were you, I would try taking the GREs one more time in all honestly. Maybe get a practice book off amazon and do some review, even if it isn't very intense studying. With a lower GPA, I think you would want to balance it out with good GRE scores, strong personal statement/letter of intent, resume and letters of rec. As @WesttoEast18 said above, look on EdFind and research some programs that have lower average GPA acceptances. 

Good luck! 

50 minutes ago, BlackGirlSpeechie said:

138 Q, 147 V, 4.0 AW

I agree with the other poster, I think retaking is a necessity. I would at least try to get your verbal in the 150s, over the 50th percentile. Unfortunately, most schools will use your GPA and GRE scores to cut through the applications and may not get to the rest of your application. Good luck! 

1 hour ago, BlackGirlSpeechie said:

138 Q, 147 V, 4.0 AW

Hmm, I wouldn't qualify those scores as average to be honest, especially your quantitative score.  If you look on the GRE website it will tell you how your scares compare to other test takers.  I would really invest in trying to improve your GRE scores.  I had to take my GRE twice and it was a nightmare, but definitely worth it I think. Good luck! :)

I used Magoosh for my GRE and it really really helped! The free trial version is great and you can't just keep getting free weeks as long as you have emails to spare haha. Also all their instructional videos are on youtube if you search for the video name!

Even a few points would help compensate for the GPA :) Good luck!!!

6 minutes ago, TheScienceHoney said:

The University of Oregon doesn't take GRE scores at all. 

They do for the SLP program, I think the average is 70th percentile V and 50th for Q from what i've heard of people applying in my post bac. I love UO

19 minutes ago, PNWSpeech said:

They do for the SLP program, I think the average is 70th percentile V and 50th for Q from what i've heard of people applying in my post bac. I love UO

I also would advice against relying on programs that don't require GREs because these are also often the programs that only accept very high GPAs. 

1 hour ago, WesttoEast18 said:

Hmm, I wouldn't qualify those scores as average to be honest, especially your quantitative score.  If you look on the GRE website it will tell you how your scares compare to other test takers.  I would really invest in trying to improve your GRE scores.  I had to take my GRE twice and it was a nightmare, but definitely worth it I think. Good luck! :)

Okay, thanks for the honesty. I'm not the best test taker, but I will try again.

Hey girl!

Texas State University doesn't take GRE scores, but you will have to apply next year since they already accepted the cohort for 2018. My GRE was BAD (144 Q, 148V 3.0AW) but I got into TxState and 4 others schools. (My GPA was a 3.95 in the major and overall) I suggest applying to Lamar and SFA, as their GRE requirements aren't high. Goood luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Apply to Abilene Christian (both campus) - they accept lower GRE scores! I really wanna say most schools don't care about your GRE score as long as they're both above a 145 -- I think they look at GPA the most. If you have a lot of experience - push that in your personal statement. If you don't --- use this WHOLE year to gain experience. I suggest doing 6 months volunteering at each place so you can rack up your resume and if you have the opportunity to do research, do that as well.

I think it really depends on your extracurriculars. I had a 145 quantitative, 149 qualitative, and a 5.5 in writing and I was accepted to schools in DC, Massachusetts (including BU), florida, and colorado. They were all big schools too. Many schools are starting to look at what you have more control over (personal statement, grades, relationships with professionals and professors, and extracurricular activities that build a resume). I believe these weigh much more heavily than a GRE, so do not limit your choices to schools that are known for accepting low GRE if you have a strong background. Every school I applied to had very high GRE averages. 

Have you checked ASHA? Look at the acceptance rates, narrow them down and then talk to the directors of the programs to se if you have a chance. Honestly with your stats, you cant be too picky-you may have to apply out of state. Hampton University just accepted me, and I had similar stats. Make sure to get good LOR's, highlight relevant experience and write a bomb ass statement