More Hope For Those With Bad GRE Scores

KAMALAGRAD

I just got into my number four choice for grad school after doing terrible on the GRE general test. I got a combined score of under 900. The only redeeming part was my analytical writing score, which was a pretty solid 5.0, but still not in the same league as some of the 6.0 posters roaming around here. Still, I got into Syracuse University, which has a great program in my field. It also has the top public affairs program in the country (another field I'm interested in), which I will be eligible to take classes in as part of my program. So those of you, worried about your GREs, keep your chins up!

Thanks for that, I'm pretty much shooting for a combined total of 900, and a miracle will occur if I get a 1000!

Just curious, what was your undergrad record like?

My undergrad grades were not too bad, though some with those ridiculously high GPAs may think otherwise. I had a GPA of about 3.25, but I did two majors and a minor in only four years, so I had to pack a lot into a little amount of time. Also both my majors (journalism, film and media studies) were related to my field of graduate study (journalism). My undergrad school was among the top 50 ranked in the US News and World Report ranking system. One thing I think that really helped me out also was having a large array of extracurricular activities that were related to my field.

Some of the best schools don't even require GRE scores, so they should be less decisive in admissions.

I skipped a bunch of GRE-requiring schools I hoped to apply to because, as soon as I started studying for the test, I realized how much time it would cost me to do well! <_<

I got a crap-tacular 470 on the Q portion (25%tile) and still got into NYU. Overall score was higher though (V-620). It all depend on your program. No math-based program would take me seriously with those scores but non-math ones wouldnt care. Coursework, work experience and LOR usually are much more important.

I got a crap-tacular 470 on the Q portion (25%tile) and still got into NYU. Overall score was higher though (V-620). It all depend on your program. No math-based program would take me seriously with those scores but non-math ones wouldnt care. Coursework, work experience and LOR usually are much more important.

I have a similar profile, (540 Q; 610V), and have also been admitted to NYU, and Yale! I think research experience counted a lot but also be intelligent in who you apply to work with: highlighting matching research interests with potential advisors and then keeping up communication with them seems (in my field at least) to be the key.

I just think it would be very silly if committees threw out applications from people who are obviously excellent matches for their department, based on GREs, and hope it doesn't happen as often as many people on here worry about - my experience at least has shown that it does not happen in these departments I've applied to.

Edited by indianacat

• 2 weeks later...

I had a score just over 1200 and got into a quantitative poli sci program - several, actually. Thus, it can be. My 580 Q was on the low-side, but I really did work hard for it. The "easy" questions always tripped me up and I did not like the computer testing. I got in with a fully funded offer to a great school. So, it can be done. LOR's were excellent, I was told my POS was put me over the top by one school, and my GPA was top. I also had plenty of research and teaching experience, which sold me to the department I ultimately accepted.

Congrats and thanks for posting this.

Your post gives me more confidence about taking the exam and applying to other schools that require it, if I don't get admitted to the college which I am now waiting to hear from.

Edited by nycrican2

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

hi

my name is sayan. i am applying to nyu and northwestern for journalism courses... i have a decent gpa, great references, a good resume of journalism and allied work, a good essay and amazing recommendations.... i am sure i will tank my gre because college has been hectic... if i score below the limit prescribed by them should i apply or should i let it go....

i also saw you got through columbia. i have applied there for a masters in journalism... can you tell me what to study for their written test?

thanks!

I just got into my number four choice for grad school after doing terrible on the GRE general test. I got a combined score of under 900. The only redeeming part was my analytical writing score, which was a pretty solid 5.0, but still not in the same league as some of the 6.0 posters roaming around here. Still, I got into Syracuse University, which has a great program in my field. It also has the top public affairs program in the country (another field I'm interested in), which I will be eligible to take classes in as part of my program. So those of you, worried about your GREs, keep your chins up!

Good to know, thanks!

I am in a similar situation as many in this thread it seems like...high GPA (3.97 overall GPA, 4.0 GPA in my major), relevant work experience (worked in a research lab in college and worked in market research for years after college) and good letters of recommendation but possible low GRE scores (I tend to choke up on standardized tests...I am hoping for somewhere in the 1000-1200 range but I haven't broken 1000 yet in the practice exams). The GRE is the only thing holding me back right now from applying to grad programs so it is good to know that even if I mess up, all is not lost!