Are online SLP programs worth it? Did you have trouble getting hired?

Hi everyone, 

I'm thinking about applying to Western Kentucky's SLP online master's program. However, I'm a little hesitant because I don't know how employers feel about hiring someone from an online program. I feel like there's still a stigma attached to online grad programs. I want to know what your experience was like finding a job if you've ever been through an online SLP program. Did you have any issues finding a job? And what were some of the reactions of the employers knowing that you did grad school online? Also, any advice on how to be successful during online schooling or what you did to stand out to employers? Also, do you know any colleagues who went through online program that seem to be just as competent as the colleagues that had a traditional, face-to-face education?

A little bit about me: I first applied to programs here in my home state of California after graduation (which was a BIG mistake since I learned the hard way about how competitive it is out here). And I'm just not competitive enough. I've been out of school for a while now and I'm desperate! So, that's why I'm asking about online programs!

Thanks!

Edited by amvat

I'm still in an online grad program, but no one in the classes of my program before me has had an issue getting hired. I think a big part of getting a job will be clinical practicum experiences and supervisors. All three of my supervisors have told me that they  would recommend me without hesitation for a job, and I've made lots of good contacts, so I'm not particularly worried about finding a job next year. Part of it is also dependent on the job market in your area, I'm sure, but there are always unfilled SLP jobs in mine.

Ok, thank you! I was hoping that clinical practicum experience would be looked at greatly when getting hired. Western Kentucky's practicum for online students is 6 weeks on campus during the summer. 

In no way (I believe) will your transcripts or diploma mention that you completed an online program. It would be up to you to disclose that.

Edited by Auuudriana

They can look up that the program is online.  I imagine it would come up in interviews too like tell me about x practicum.. I would base it on the clinical quality and if you feel confident you'd be prepared for the job with an online learning environment.  Clinical experiences are what are going to get you hired.  What setting do you plan on working in?  If it's medical your program will matter when it comes time to get a job.  Other settings may be more flexible but make sure you are able to work directly with the population you plan to seek employment in.  Good luck!

Edited by CBG321

Ah one more thing CA has pretty involved licensing requirements I'd check and make sure everything would check out in CA.  If you want to work in schools you are required to do a school placement if prepared out of state, I imagine there might be a work around but it'd take some planning.  Take a look at the requirements online for individuals prepared 'out of state'.

Northridge has an online program too that may help skip some of the hurdles it's also well known in CA so maybe less stigma associated with the online format?

1 hour ago, CBG321 said:

They can look up that the program is online.  I imagine it would come up in interviews too like tell me about x practicum.. I would base it on the clinical quality and if you feel confident you'd be prepared for the job with an online learning environment.  Clinical experiences are what are going to get you hired.  What setting do you plan on working in?  If it's medical your program will matter when it comes time to get a job.  Other settings may be more flexible but make sure you are able to work directly with the population you plan to seek employment in.  Good luck!

Most programs that are online also have a physical program. So they wouldn't really know. In the interviews I've gone on in the last few months, I've related things to my practicums but I wouldn't say any questions were specific to my school. To OP, all I'm saying is that I wouldn't worry about going to an online program.

On 6/9/2018 at 2:07 AM, amvat said:

Hi everyone, 

I'm thinking about applying to Western Kentucky's SLP online master's program. However, I'm a little hesitant because I don't know how employers feel about hiring someone from an online program. I feel like there's still a stigma attached to online grad programs. I want to know what your experience was like finding a job if you've ever been through an online SLP program. Did you have any issues finding a job? And what were some of the reactions of the employers knowing that you did grad school online? Also, any advice on how to be successful during online schooling or what you did to stand out to employers? Also, do you know any colleagues who went through online program that seem to be just as competent as the colleagues that had a traditional, face-to-face education?

A little bit about me: I first applied to programs here in my home state of California after graduation (which was a BIG mistake since I learned the hard way about how competitive it is out here). And I'm just not competitive enough. I've been out of school for a while now and I'm desperate! So, that's why I'm asking about online programs!

Thanks!

Just an FYI:  Western KY's program site does mention that you CANNOT do your internships/externships in CA because CA does not participate in the SARA program between states.  If you plan to stay in CA throughout your grad program, you may run into issues with other out of state schools as well.

Look into Ten State University for their online program, and University of SC. I was about to apply to Western KY Program but saw that CA doesn't participate in the SARA program (I think it's the only state). Good luck! 

On 6/16/2018 at 6:35 PM, GingerD said:

Just an FYI:  Western KY's program site does mention that you CANNOT do your internships/externships in CA because CA does not participate in the SARA program between states.  If you plan to stay in CA throughout your grad program, you may run into issues with other out of state schools as well.

Ok thank you! On their website it says that internships are to be completed on campus during the summer.  And externships CANNOT be completed in CA. 

Edited by amvat

On 6/17/2018 at 4:56 PM, katherinexo said:

Look into Ten State University for their online program, and University of SC. I was about to apply to Western KY Program but saw that CA doesn't participate in the SARA program (I think it's the only state). Good luck! 

Yes, I saw that they specifically state that externships cannot be done in CA. I will look into that! Thanks!

• 4 months later...
On 6/21/2018 at 2:23 PM, amvat said:

Thanks for the input! I've always been more interested in the medical setting. So, that worries me. 

I don't think an online program would hinder you from being able to work in the medical setting in the future. Why would it? You can do your CF after grad school in the medical setting (hospital or SNF, nursing home etc) if you truly want to work in the medical setting. I think you'll be fine if you decide to apply to online programs.