Stanford 2010

NsciApp

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello guys, structural engineering admit here. is east palo alto safe to live in? I know it's ghetto, but the rent is cheap.

Based on my somewhat superficial search last summer, it really ISN'T as safe as other places nearby (even the part west of 101, oddly enough), so it might not be a good idea even if the rent is cheap...of course, YMMV, and I know one person (only one, though!) who has lived there while at Stanford. However, a ton more students I know (self included) have been able to find, inexpensive places in Mountain View and Menlo Park.

Edited by socialpsych

Hey folks!

Sorry for posting something negative about housing and then disappearing for a month. This is what I wanted to warn people against:

"All mid-rise apartments have one bedroom. When two single students are sharing, the living room may be converted into a second bedroom, separated from the kitchen by a privacy divider. In these cases, students often agree to switch places mid-year."

I had a friend who lived in a "second bedroom" in EV and it was just the living room with a bed in it. No privacy. Terrible - they really shouldn't do that to adults.

On East Palo Alto - EPA is only a 'ghetto' in comparison to West Palo Alto. It's actually a very interesting area with lots of nice neighborhoods. If you have a car, no reason not to live there. Just make sure to check the place out first.

On Munger: I'm a joint JD/PhD student so I'm getting all the info on Munger. It will be mostly law students, though I suppose the exact percentage depends on how many JD students choose to live there. We have priority and then they give away the rest of the spaces. My impression, though, is that it's basically a law school dorm. Sure there are some spaces available though if you get lucky.

Cheers.

"All mid-rise apartments have one bedroom. When two single students are sharing, the living room may be converted into a second bedroom, separated from the kitchen by a privacy divider. In these cases, students often agree to switch places mid-year."

I had a friend who lived in a "second bedroom" in EV and it was just the living room with a bed in it. No privacy. Terrible - they really shouldn't do that to adults.

I thought the mid-rises were only for couples. It seems like if two single students are living there, they must have entered the housing lottery as a "couple without children." If not, it's not very nice of Stanford housing to put a non-couple in an all-couples, all one-bedroom building.

I thought the mid-rises were only for couples. It seems like if two single students are living there, they must have entered the housing lottery as a "couple without children." If not, it's not very nice of Stanford housing to put a non-couple in an all-couples, all one-bedroom building.

If you look at the grad housing rates, that's what they call "1 bedroom, double occupancy".

I entered the housing lottery already but I think I'll start looking into EPA also - just to keep my options open.

If you look at the grad housing rates, that's what they call "1 bedroom, double occupancy".

I entered the housing lottery already but I think I'll start looking into EPA also - just to keep my options open.

Hmm it seems like my friend mixed up "1 bedroom, double occupancy" and "2-bedroom efficiency". Does anyone know how 2-bedroom efficiency's like? Is it just a usual 2-bedroom apartment minus the living room? Is privacy affected at all?

Hmm it seems like my friend mixed up "1 bedroom, double occupancy" and "2-bedroom efficiency". Does anyone know how 2-bedroom efficiency's like? Is it just a usual 2-bedroom apartment minus the living room? Is privacy affected at all?

I think the 2-bedroom efficiency is like you say....regular 2-bedroom with not much of a living room. Sounds better than a 1-bedroom single occupancy because both people get a door (in other words, privacy not affected....if anything you'd see your roommate less often because there's no common room).

Is EV very far away from the engineering quad, compared to Lyman?

If you really want to know, you can look at a Stanford map and find out... but roughly, Lyman is a 5 minute walk from the engineering quad. EV is more like a twenty minute walk / ten minute bike ride or shuttle ride.

Anyone know if there's flexibility regarding your move-in date? I can't make it to campus on the official 9/11/10 move in date but could do 9/12 instead.

What i learnt from the info on the website was that you will be charged for the housing beginning from the date that you selected in your application. But, they also mentioned that you should inform the housing desk if you would be arriving late to the campus.

Since the housing will be available to you starting from the date that you selected, its obviously better to select the date on which or after which you would be arriving. So, I would suggest based on your requirements, that you enter Sep 11, 2010 for now; and then inform the housing desk about your late arrival once you have been assigned a housing.

Its always better to call them, and clarify your doubts, if it is possible.

Check this link under the heading - Move-in Date

http://www.stanford.edu/dept/rde/shs/grad/your_assign_10.htm

Edited by timebarrier

Thanks! I had seen that link but wasn't 100% sure if it was always okay or if you needed special permission. Luckily I managed to get in touch with someone at housing and got it sorted out. :)

Edited by chimerical

• 2 weeks later...

Got my first choice too! EV 1BR (couple w/o children)....it was either that or Munger, so yay not having to pay out the wazoo (though man a dishwasher would have been nice....)

Anyone else in EV? I want to know whether I'm in the low or mid rises....hoping for mids.

Got my first choice too! EV 1BR (couple w/o children)....it was either that or Munger, so yay not having to pay out the wazoo (though man a dishwasher would have been nice....)

Anyone else in EV? I want to know whether I'm in the low or mid rises....hoping for mids.

Got into EV 1BR double occupancy.

can you ride a kick scooter on campus? or is only bikes allowed?

You can ride a kick scooter. Not many people do, though, for whatever reason.

A somewhat larger minority skateboards.

Edited by socialpsych

EV 2 br double efficiency. Has anyone had experience with this? I'm happy about having my own room and the price, but slightly concerned about the lack of space... no living/dining area. It can't be that bad, right?

Hey all -

I'm new here...getting my MS at Stanford next year. I'll be in Rains 4Br. It is a bit shocking how even housing rates increase dramatically from year-to-year. For example, just two years ago the EV dbl efficiency was $567 and now they are $651...so rates have increased 15% in just two years (in this economy)? I don't see how Stanford can justify that.

Hey all -

I'm new here...getting my MS at Stanford next year. I'll be in Rains 4Br. It is a bit shocking how even housing rates increase dramatically from year-to-year. For example, just two years ago the EV dbl efficiency was $567 and now they are $651...so rates have increased 15% in just two years (in this economy)? I don't see how Stanford can justify that.

Except $651 is a ridiculously low price to be paying for facilities like Stanford's on-campus housing, so close to campus. It's certainly much cheaper than a lot of the stuff in neighboring Palo Alto. I don't think a private university really needs to justify rate increases for housing--if you don't like it, you can always choose to live off.

Edited by quadsbaby

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use