Geography 2019 Application thread

ponlear

I noticed that no one has started a discussion for 2019 application.

Best of Luck everyone- let's know where you plan to apply to, research interests and degree type (MA, MS, PHD), GRE scores, application progress etc

Research Interests: GIS, remote sensing,  landuse change, natural resource management

Proposed Schools:
University of Kentucky
University of North Carolina
University of Alabama
Pent State
University of Colorado (Boulder)

Academic Profile:
GPA  3.3/4.0
GRE: Yet to take
TOEFL: Yet to take (I am international student)

Good luck to everyone.

Edited by ponlear
Thread written as threas

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, 

I'm interested in applying for a PhD in Fall 2019. Choosing schools in the US is particularly hard because I am conflicted between Sociology and Geography programs. I hold a Masters in Development Studies from a premier institute in India and have close to 2 years of work experience in the public policy &  academic research sectors. 

My expectations are as follows: 

1. Emphasis on qualitative research/ room for qual research

2. My specific interest is in urban studies, so would prefer a research cluster on cities/urban spaces. 

Interests: Urban studies - Qualitative Transportation, Identities, Spatiality, Heritage ; Comparative Research;  International Development; South Asia; Public Policy

Expectations from Programmes

Program: Interdisciplinary, Allowing students to choose courses across departments, emphasis/known for applied approach

Resources: Ongoing projects with vibrant research space, Access to funding, Encouraging collaborations, Good enough brand to ensure employment on completion of programme, preferably located in an urban area to aid fieldwork. 

Look forward to suggestions from you guys about which department might be a better fit and potential school options too! 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning on applying to Master's programs for Fall 2019. :) I had a 3.89 GPA in undergrad; haven't taken the GRE yet. Should have some very strong letters of recommendation from three of my professors.

Interests: urban sustainability/sustainable communities, green spaces, urban biodiversity, urbanization, water resources, land use changes

Schools:

• University of Iowa
  • University of Kentucky
  • University of Maryland - Baltimore County
  • CU - Colorado Springs
  • University of Denver
  • Kent State University
  • University of Cincinnati
  • University of Wisconsin - Madison

I haven't quite finalized my list yet; still looking at programs. University of Iowa is probably my top choice at the moment.

GPA: 3.89

• 2 weeks later...

Applying to PhD programs for Fall 2019. 3.51 undergrad, 3.89 MS (urban policy), with a 9-year gap between undergrad and graduate. I was a professional chef and business owner during most of the gap. Starting another Master's program for this year to flesh out research interests in political economy and cultural studies.

Research interests: industrial geography, manufacturing, geography of innovation, technology and innovation studies, ethnography

Schools

UBC

U Toronto

Clark

UCLA

UC Davis

Syracuse

Yale (American studies)

• 2 months later...

Hello!

I will be applying for Ph.D. programs for Fall 2019 as an international student and would really appreciate if you people could evaluate my profile. This would give me an idea about where I stand in the competition and to finalize the uni to apply. Additionally, please let me know which universities would be safe, target and straight out of my league. 

Undergrad Institution: A well-respected state university in India
Major(s): Civil Engineering
Minor(s): NA
GPA in Major: NA
Overall GPA: 7.5/10 CPI 
Position in Class: Average 
Type of Student: International, Female

Postgrad Institution: One of the new Indian Institute of Technology
Major(s): Earth science,  M.tech.
Minor(s): NA
GPA in Major: NA
Overall GPA: 9/10 CPI 
Position in Class: Rank 1

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 165
V: 158
W: 4 (meh)

TOEFL Total: 105 

Research Experience: 

• No undergrad research (I know -_-), 
  • 2 years research experience in fluvial geomorphology while doing masters and currently a research fellow at the same institute,
  • one publication in prep. (1st author out of 2) and one is under review (3rd author out of 5),
  • 2 international conference presentations  

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:  First rank at the institute, a very well respected fellowship to present a poster at AGU

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA for a postgrad level course for a semester

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Coordinator for external faculty visits in the department, Content manager for the departmental website for a semester, one internship in undergrad 

Special Bonus Points: 2 excellent LOR's, many grad classes and female applicant from a third world country 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: If it helps, I played for institute's sports team for 2 years at the state and national level

Applying to Where: Not finalized yet

Stanford - Geosciences 

UT Austin - Geosciences

Colorado State - Geosciences

Caltech - GPS

U of Minnesota - Earth Sciences 

U of Nevada Reno -  Geosciences 

UCSB - Geography

UBC - Geography

U of Alabama - Geography 

TAMU - Earth sciences 

Indiana University - Earth and Atmospheric Science 

-

Please suggest some other universities as well!

Thanks a lot!

Edited by Aspiring_Geomorphologist

• 3 months later...

I'm anticipating things will start ramping up a bit over the next week or so - has anyone heard anything?

I've applied to the following: UCLA, Berkeley, Washington, Minnesota, Toronto, CUNY, Oxford.

All quiet thus far... seems like Minnesota and Washington have historically been on the earlier side in terms of notification. 

I'm applying to PhD programs at Missouri, University of Toronto and Technological University Dublin. I'm a business geographer focusing on retail market analysis, location theory and spatial econometrics. Master's in applied geography from University of North Texas (2019) and bachelor's in economic consulting from the Kelley School of Business at Indiana University. 

Haven't heard back on applications yet, but have started hearing back on scholarships! Best of luck to everyone.

I applied only to Berkeley and CUNY, haven't heard from either. I saw someone posted about an interview they had already-- if that person is reading this, could you clarify whether you applied to Earth Systems or Human Geography?

21 hours ago, Puffy said:

I applied only to Berkeley and CUNY, haven't heard from either. I saw someone posted about an interview they had already-- if that person is reading this, could you clarify whether you applied to Earth Systems or Human Geography?

Hi, that was my partner who received an interview and it was in human geo. Hope that's helpful

3 hours ago, socisocisoci said:

Hi, that was my partner who received an interview and it was in human geo. Hope that's helpful

argh, thanks. would you/they mind sharing who the interview was with? slash anything else the interviewer might have mentioned re: other applicants?

Hi all! I’m applying to PhD programs at CUNY, Clark, Berkeley, and Temple. I’m applying to Masters programs at Wisconsin-Madison, University of Arizona, and Syracuse. Haven’t heard back from any programs yet. Good luck to everyone!

Hi everyone, I thought I would join in as well! I applied to the PhD program at Clark and Masters programs at Arizona, Georgia, Kentucky, and Wisconsin-Madison. 

Also waiting to hear back, but hopefully good news comes for all of us soon. 

Hey everyone!

Anyone else going to / thinking of going to UBC's geography program, either for Masters or PhD? 

I heard back from UBC this week - My first acceptance! Super excited, as it was my top school. I will likely be heading there - PhD in Geography with a focus on human-environment. Would be great to hear from others and connect! 

FYI, below have been my results thus far for those interested:

UBC, PhD Geography: Accepted

American University, PhD International Relations - focus on environmental governance: Waitlisted 

Wisconsin-Madison, MA (PhD route) Geography: Rejected (1 phone interview in January 2019 with POC, multiple email exchanges about fellowship opportunities... surprised by this one! Seemed very positive and repeatedly told me my application was terrific and I would be a perfect fit with 3 co-advisors all interested in advising me. Funding must have fallen through?) 

Duke University, PhD Environmental Policy: Rejected

UT-Austin, PhD Geography: Pending (heard from contact that admissions results will be released around the 15th of February, with funding results to come later)

Best,

C

Edited by crhyme

20 hours ago, crhyme said:

Hey everyone!

Anyone else going to / thinking of going to UBC's geography program, either for Masters or PhD? 

I heard back from UBC this week - My first acceptance! Super excited, as it was my top school. I will likely be heading there - PhD in Geography with a focus on human-environment. Would be great to hear from others and connect! 

FYI, below have been my results thus far for those interested:

UBC, PhD Geography: Accepted

American University, PhD International Relations - focus on environmental governance: Waitlisted 

Wisconsin-Madison, MA (PhD route) Geography: Rejected (1 phone interview in January 2019 with POC, multiple email exchanges about fellowship opportunities... surprised by this one! Seemed very positive and repeatedly told me my application was terrific and I would be a perfect fit with 3 co-advisors all interested in advising me. Funding must have fallen through?) 

Duke University, PhD Environmental Policy: Rejected

UT-Austin, PhD Geography: Pending (heard from contact that admissions results will be released around the 15th of February, with funding results to come later)

Best,

C

Hey!

Congrats on UBC!

I was also recently accepted into the Ph.D. program in Geography there. It was my top choice and I will most likely be attending. Did you get an official acceptance letter from the university? I received one from the department, but nothing official.

Would love to connect, PM'd you!

Edited by Aspiring_Geomorphologist

@homie Agh, I'm sorry to hear that. It's a highly competitive program, I know, so we shouldn't take it too hard, right? Do you have other pending applications? If so, best of luck to you! 

On 2/8/2019 at 4:11 PM, whatstheplan said:

Looks like the CUNY decisions are on the portal - gonna be a no go for me unfortunately. 

strange, there's no update on my portal ? sorry to hear that though, good luck with the others!

19 hours ago, puffy said:

strange, there's no update on my portal ? sorry to hear that though, good luck with the others!

I also don’t have an update on my CUNY portal, hope I’m looking in the right place!

1 hour ago, Ailaplac said:

I also don’t have an update on my CUNY portal, hope I’m looking in the right place!

I got an email to check the portal, so if you didn't receive one probably figures there's no update.

CUNY wasn't one of my top choices and truthfully not a great fit, but definitely a bummer to have my first sign of life from the whole process be a flat rejection. Hopefully more soon!

5 hours ago, whatstheplan said:

I got an email to check the portal, so if you didn't receive one probably figures there's no update.

CUNY wasn't one of my top choices and truthfully not a great fit, but definitely a bummer to have my first sign of life from the whole process be a flat rejection. Hopefully more soon!

That makes sense, thanks! My first sign of life was a rejection from Wisconsin-Madison so I understand.

hey geography thread. i applied to two programs for fall 2019, both for MA in geography. i am sort of beating myself up over it -- i missed a lot of deadlines for more competitive/prestigious programs and am worried that i sold myself short. but anyhow, i got accepted to university of oklahoma a few weeks ago which was exciting news. i am still holding out for university of georgia. did any other UGA applicants hear back yet? it should be this week at the latest...

1 hour ago, farepay said:

hey geography thread. i applied to two programs for fall 2019, both for MA in geography. i am sort of beating myself up over it -- i missed a lot of deadlines for more competitive/prestigious programs and am worried that i sold myself short. but anyhow, i got accepted to university of oklahoma a few weeks ago which was exciting news. i am still holding out for university of georgia. did any other UGA applicants hear back yet? it should be this week at the latest...

Hey! I also applied to the MA in geography at Georgia, and am still waiting to hear back as well. Hopefully some news comes soon

UT-Austin results are out if you check your login portal. Didn't get an email letting me know the results, but checked my account this morning and was admitted! Was told that funding results will be released later. Best of luck to all.