Fall 2019 I/O PhD/MA/MS Applications

OddIsEven

Hey guys!

So while it's the middle of summer, I feel like it's never too early to start chatting about graduate application season coming up this Fall, particularly within I/O Psychology. I know I'm anxious, I don't know about you guys!?
I was curious on what some of y'alls stats (GPA, GRE) were, your research experiences, and where you wanna go! Who knows, maybe we can give each other good advice in terms of different universities and their faculty/labs and what not. I know there was a thread like this last year, figured I'd start one up for this year. 

So I suppose I'll start: 

Undergrad GPA: 3.58; last sixty hours: 3.76

GRE: 160 V, 153 Q, 4 AWA

Research: I've worked in a human factors lab dealing with transportation psychology for over a year now. I have 10 conference presentations under my belt, with two as first author. I'm currently working on my Undergraduate Honors Thesis dealing with the relationship between counterproductive work behavior and organizational citizenship behavior, and how moral identity moderates this relationship (i..e., how prevalent are moral traits in individuals who offset their deviant behavior with supra-role behavior, and do the prevalence of these traits actually cause a CWB->OCB relationship). 

In grad school I wanna expand on my organizational behavior research beyond CWB and OCB, and try and encompass leadership styles as well. I'm also really interested in occupational health studies! 

Desired Universities (all PhD)
UGA
FIT
CSU
UCF (where I currently study) 
USF
BGSU 
Clemson
LSU
TAMU
Penn State
Houston 
Auburn 

I'd love to hear from y'all!

Edited by OddIsEven

• 4 months later...
On 6/28/2018 at 3:02 PM, OddIsEven said:

?

I'd love to hear from y'all!

I've applied to half Social half I/O programs, but I wanted to go ahead and give this thread a little bump.

GRE: V: 162, Q: 158, W: 4.0

Research experience: 6 months volunteer in a federal human factors/personnel psychology lab, followed by 2 years of paid full-time experience. Since government work is much different than academics, I don't have has many pubs, but I have a lot of applied experience to speak of. I do however have one firs-authored thesis-length government technical report looking at training practices for an aviation field. Three second-author posters at APA, two second-author presentations at DOT funded conferences, and one DOD conference presentaiton.

I/O schools applied to: University of Oklahoma, Penn State University, Colorado State University, St. Louis University, Portland State University

Best of luck to all!

I'm actually an applicant from last year. I wanted to drop-in and give everyone a frame-of-reference. First, good luck to everyone! This was one of the most humbling experiences of my life- but it will be worth it.

A note about my application: I had some pretty good credentials, however, research experience is critical (arguably the most important). I didn't have that at the time of my application. Here are my final application results:

School Program Title Interview Decision
George Mason University PhD of Psychology: Industrial/Organizationa Concentration Yes Accepted - Attending
George Washington University PhD of Industrial/Organizational Psychology Yes Accepted
James Madison University PhD of Assessment and Measurement Yes Accepted
NC State PhD of Industrial/Organizational Psychology No Rejected
Old Dominion University PhD of Industrial/Organizational Psychology Yes Withdrew Application
Penn State PhD of Industrial/Organizational Psychology No Rejected
UNC Charlotte PhD of Organizational Science Yes Accepted
UNC Greensboro PhD of Educational Research, Measurement, and Evaluation (ERM) Yes Accepted
University of Maryland PhD of Social, Decision and Organizational Science (SDOS) Yes Waitlisted - Rejected
University of Maryland PhD of Measurement, Statistics and Evaluation (EDMS) Yes Accepted

Here is a summary of my credentials at time of application (last year):

Research Interests: Item Response Theory, Statistical Modeling, Job Analysis, Multidimensional Constructs, Assessment and Measurement Bias.

Degrees: BA in Psychology, MS in I/O Psychology

Test Scores and GPA:

GRE

Q: 160 (72nd)

V: 162 (91st)

AWA: 4.0 (60th)

GPA

Undergrad GPA: 3.97

Undergrad Major GPA: 4.0

Grad GPA: 4.0

Research Experience: 

2 poster presentations

3 Professional Board Presentations

Research Methods & Statistics TA 1 year

100+ hours applied research (MS was heavily applied)

No thesis

No peer-reviewed publications

Professional Experience:

2+ years Psychometric Data Analyst (current)

1 year Teaching Fellow

1 year Teaching Assistant 

1.5 years Research Developer

Summer HR internship

Worried About: Lack of thesis and publications, mediocre GRE Quant, all of you awesome people

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is also a thread that was created a while back to (hopefully) make your lives a lot easier.
Data for 2019 Applicants

If anyone has any questions or thoughts about their application (or mine)- please reach out to me:

My Email

All the best,

On 11/23/2018 at 9:50 AM, Left Skew said:

I'm actually an applicant from last year. I wanted to drop-in and give everyone a frame-of-reference. First, good luck to everyone! This was one of the most humbling experiences of my life- but it will be worth it.

A note about my application: I had some pretty good credentials, however, research experience is critical (arguably the most important). I didn't have that at the time of my application. Here are my final application results: 

School Program Title Interview Decision
George Mason University PhD of Psychology: Industrial/Organizationa Concentration Yes Accepted - Attending
George Washington University PhD of Industrial/Organizational Psychology Yes Accepted
James Madison University PhD of Assessment and Measurement Yes Accepted
NC State PhD of Industrial/Organizational Psychology No Rejected
Old Dominion University PhD of Industrial/Organizational Psychology Yes Withdrew Application
Penn State PhD of Industrial/Organizational Psychology No Rejected
UNC Charlotte PhD of Organizational Science Yes Accepted
UNC Greensboro PhD of Educational Research, Measurement, and Evaluation (ERM) Yes Accepted
University of Maryland PhD of Social, Decision and Organizational Science (SDOS) Yes Waitlisted - Rejected
University of Maryland PhD of Measurement, Statistics and Evaluation (EDMS) Yes Accepted

Here is a summary of my credentials at time of application (last year):

Research Interests: Item Response Theory, Statistical Modeling, Job Analysis, Multidimensional Constructs, Assessment and Measurement Bias.

Degrees: BA in Psychology, MS in I/O Psychology

Test Scores and GPA:

GRE

Q: 160 (72nd)

V: 162 (91st)

AWA: 4.0 (60th)

GPA

Undergrad GPA: 3.97

Undergrad Major GPA: 4.0

Grad GPA: 4.0

Research Experience: 

2 poster presentations

3 Professional Board Presentations

Research Methods & Statistics TA 1 year

100+ hours applied research (MS was heavily applied)

No thesis

No peer-reviewed publications

Professional Experience:

2+ years Psychometric Data Analyst (current)

1 year Teaching Fellow

1 year Teaching Assistant 

1.5 years Research Developer

Summer HR internship

Worried About: Lack of thesis and publications, mediocre GRE Quant, all of you awesome people

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is also a thread that was created a while back to (hopefully) make your lives a lot easier.
Data for 2019 Applicants

If anyone has any questions or thoughts about their application (or mine)- please reach out to me:

My Email

All the best,

If you don't mind me asking, who did you indicate as a POI when you applied to Penn State?

13 hours ago, psychtobeme said:

If you don't mind me asking, who did you indicate as a POI when you applied to Penn State?

Of course, Lebreton. The student that accepted was very prevalent here last year. Super nice. You should reach out.

Edited by Left Skew

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2018 at 10:56 PM, petitebiscuit said:

Ooooh yes if you happen to remember their username I’m interested. 

The person you are interested in talking to is my girlfriend. I would be more than happy to get you in touch with her if you are still interested in Penn State. 

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey!

Currently applying to Master level programs since I don't have any I/O program at my undergrad Uni.

STATS:

GRE: 168 V; 157 Q; 6.0 W

GPA: 3.78

Research XP: Worked as UTA in 2 labs (Perception research for 1 semester, Cognitive Dev. lab for 2 years), have worked as lab manager for a NIH funded Autism neuroimaging research lab for 2 years (current gig), no publishings but completed undergraduate capstone research - presented to lab, currently in midst of an Attention research project.

So, clearly, where I am lacking is XP in I/O psych. Luckily, my actual work experience gives a little boost.

Where I am applying:

University of Minnesota, Duluth: MAPS program, I/O track

Minnesota State University, Mankato: MA in I/O

University of Akron, OH: MA in I/O

Texas A&M: MS in I/O

George MAson: MA in I/O

IUPUI: MS in I/O

If anyone has any similar experience or is applying to similar programs I'd love to hear more. I hope I have a chance despite lack of I/O specific XP.