Biomedical Engineering/Bioengineering Applicant Profiles for 2019 Admission

Victorious Secret

15 hours ago, Ayub2306 said:

Anybody who has heard back from University of Virginia, BIMS program?

are you sure you're posting in the right thread? none of the programs in your signature look like biomedical engineering...

1 minute ago, MDawkin said:

Sorry that's unfortunate. Did you hear back anything from UConn with regards to funding?

Thanks! It's alright. It wasn't really my

Oh cool! You got into UConn as well! Yay! Nice to meet you!

I contacted my POI there about funding and she hasn't gotten back to me yet, but I will let you know more when I find out. I actually got two fellowships, an external one that gives me money for my first year and a UConn one that gives me some funding for five years. So, my situation is a bit complicated. However, I will also have to be an RA or TA.

I know some about the program because I was able to visit last weekend. I think the stipend for most graduate assistants is about $30,000 a year, depending on the funding your POI has for you. Tuition is covered, but I think we would have to pay for some fees. Health insurance is not covered but it is not as expensive as typical health insurance because UConn has a union for its grad students, which means that grad students have a lot of people looking out for them and we would get great benefits at a low cost. You will probably TA for one semester. It isn't required, but it seems like the BME departments really encourages. So, you will get funding by TAing and then the semesters you will be an RA.

I would reach out to your POI and/or the BME department there. If you have any other questions, please let me know. I think I am leaning more towards UConn, FYI.

51 minutes ago, Moods said:

Thanks! It's alright. It wasn't really my

Oh cool! You got into UConn as well! Yay! Nice to meet you!

I contacted my POI there about funding and she hasn't gotten back to me yet, but I will let you know more when I find out. I actually got two fellowships, an external one that gives me money for my first year and a UConn one that gives me some funding for five years. So, my situation is a bit complicated. However, I will also have to be an RA or TA.

I know some about the program because I was able to visit last weekend. I think the stipend for most graduate assistants is about $30,000 a year, depending on the funding your POI has for you. Tuition is covered, but I think we would have to pay for some fees. Health insurance is not covered but it is not as expensive as typical health insurance because UConn has a union for its grad students, which means that grad students have a lot of people looking out for them and we would get great benefits at a low cost. You will probably TA for one semester. It isn't required, but it seems like the BME departments really encourages. So, you will get funding by TAing and then the semesters you will be an RA.

I would reach out to your POI and/or the BME department there. If you have any other questions, please let me know. I think I am leaning more towards UConn, FYI.

Thank you for the information , I did not get to visit despite my POI reaching out to me rather early. Were you informed about the UConn fellowship within the acceptance letter? I'm still unsure where I'm leaning , I would have loved to visit UConn.

2 hours ago, Moods said:

Also, have you heard anything from University of Rochester?

I have not heard anything at all.

EDIT: I got rejected from Phd program , offered masters admission. That's a no from me.

Edited by MDawkin

1 hour ago, MDawkin said:

Thank you for the information , I did not get to visit despite my POI reaching out to me rather early. Were you informed about the UConn fellowship within the acceptance letter? I'm still unsure where I'm leaning , I would have loved to visit UConn.

Yeah, they told me that sadly not everyone was able to visit UConn. Like I said, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me or something.

I was actually nominated for the fellowship by my POI, and was informed about receiving the fellowship before I got the acceptance letter.

I will say that the BME department is newer (only a couple years old), so it seems like they are still trying to figure out things and get established. However, there are tons of faculty and they are hiring even more. I met about eleven BME professors or so, and every one of them was super nice. The environment seems really collaborative and it also seems common for professors there to be affiliated with another department, so research is interdisciplinary, which I really like.

Also, I just got rejected by University of Rochester. Haha, it hurts to be rejected by two schools in less then 24 hours, but I'd rather know than not know.

1 hour ago, plsacceptmegradschool said:

I got rejected from Rochester today. They offered me the MS program with a scholarship. Hope that helps. Good luck to you all! 

I got the same offer. I am not going to take it, though, since I have better offers. Good luck to you as well!

On 3/6/2019 at 2:36 AM, jtro37 said:

are you sure you're posting in the right thread? none of the programs in your signature look like biomedical engineering...

All of them belong to Biomedical Engineering. Also, BIMS means Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program.

7 minutes ago, Ayub2306 said:

All of them belong to Biomedical Engineering. Also, BIMS means Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program.

Hm I've never heard of that before. Are you sure you're not supposed to be applying to biomedical sciences programs? I  just looked at some of the application pages for where you applied and it didn't say anything about engineering. It might explain how you have been getting all these rejections the past two years...

Then again, I don't know much about the programs. It's just confusing to me for someone to apply for one program through another program's application

12 minutes ago, Ayub2306 said:

Biomedical Sciences is different from biomedical engineering. Most of the programs you applied are in the school of medicine. 

17 hours ago, girlbui said:

Someone got accepted to Hopkins today, an international. I haven’t heard any news for me yet

I think its the masters program. 

15 hours ago, MDawkin said:

Biomedical Sciences is different from biomedical engineering. Most of the programs you applied are in the school of medicine. 

Nope! They are all Bio related.

15 hours ago, jtro37 said:

Hm I've never heard of that before. Are you sure you're not supposed to be applying to biomedical sciences programs? I  just looked at some of the application pages for where you applied and it didn't say anything about engineering. It might explain how you have been getting all these rejections the past two years...

Then again, I don't know much about the programs. It's just confusing to me for someone to apply for one program through another program's application

Well, I guess I am not stupid enough that I just simply apply to any random discipline. My graduation was in biotechnology which can have a different curriculum in different countries. For example, MICaB program is Microbiology and Immunology related PhD and I had 5 such subjects in my semesters in college. I did 2 projects in Micro and Immuno. I also checked the curriculum of these universities. Also, it's not like I have done my graduation in Physics and then I am applying in Chemistry for my higher studies.

Secondly, please don't judge anyone just by seeing the number of rejections. There can be many reasons for that. 

Thirdly, you doubt my way of filling applications. Well for your kind information I got my degree converted by WES (Which is a US based organization for degree equivalency) and everything else got sorted thereafter.

3 hours ago, Ayub2306 said:

Well, I guess I am not stupid enough that I just simply apply to any random discipline. My graduation was in biotechnology which can have a different curriculum in different countries. For example, MICaB program is Microbiology and Immunology related PhD and I had 5 such subjects in my semesters in college. I did 2 projects in Micro and Immuno. I also checked the curriculum of these universities. Also, it's not like I have done my graduation in Physics and then I am applying in Chemistry for my higher studies.

Secondly, please don't judge anyone just by seeing the number of rejections. There can be many reasons for that. 

Thirdly, you doubt my way of filling applications. Well for your kind information I got my degree converted by WES (Which is a US based organization for degree equivalency) and everything else got sorted thereafter.

I don't think anyone is trying to doubt your ability as a student. However, everyone else here has applied to BME programs -- not biomedical sciences. While they are similar, the fields are also different. There's likely another thread on here for biomedical sciences programs, where other applicants may be better able to answer your questions. I think the other commenters were suggesting that, given how competitive admissions are today, mixing up BME and the biomedical sciences on an application, especially in a statement of purpose, may be a good reason for rejection rather than one's qualifications otherwise. But since no one here has read your application, it is only a possible explanation.

4 hours ago, Ayub2306 said:

Nope! They are all Bio related.

I disagree, in fact, some schools I visit had fields in BME that I personally think has nothing engineering in it. Engineering is design and build so if they just build something (internal, external) without designing, it is not engineering either. My interest is designing and building devices but there are people who targets cellular level. I did some research in Biomedical sciences department and all i did was to find mechanism of how something affects something in the body (drug affects inflammation. Protein affects cell’s function, etc) 

Edited by girlbui

2 hours ago, sgaw10 said:

I don't think anyone is trying to doubt your ability as a student. However, everyone else here has applied to BME programs -- not biomedical sciences. While they are similar, the fields are also different. There's likely another thread on here for biomedical sciences programs, where other applicants may be better able to answer your questions. I think the other commenters were suggesting that, given how competitive admissions are today, mixing up BME and the biomedical sciences on an application, especially in a statement of purpose, may be a good reason for rejection rather than one's qualifications otherwise. But since no one here has read your application, it is only a possible explanation.

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.

2 hours ago, girlbui said:

I disagree, in fact, some schools I visit had fields in BME that I personally think has nothing engineering in it. Engineering is design and build so if they just build something (internal, external) without designing, it is not engineering either. My interest is designing and building devices but there are people who targets cellular level. I did some research in Biomedical sciences department and all i did was to find mechanism of how something affects something in the body (drug affects inflammation. Protein affects cell’s function, etc) 

I respect your views and I certainly know what you talking about but even try to understand my view. The way its addressed in my country is pretty different. Anyways I don't want to discuss any further.