ISO Statements of Purpose

Good day, all, 

I've searched the breadth and depth of the Internet for statements of purpose from successful literature program applicants and have had the damndest luck finding more than a couple. I know, to a certain extent, what committees are looking for content-wise, but a few additional examples would give me a better grasp on the formalities involved. 

If need be, I suppose I could write to current grad students a couple of weeks from now, and hope one or another is in an eleemosynary mood. I'd like to get going on this more or less immediately, however; I'd be much obliged to anyone who could provide any information on relevant resources. 

@MaoistTowelette Not examples (sorry), but here are a couple of great resources: https://honors.uiowa.edu/sites/honors.uiowa.edu/files/wysiwyg_uploads/Personal Statement Invitation to Frustration.pdf and https://ctl.yale.edu/sites/default/files/basic-page-supplementary-materials-files/writing_personal_statements_for_graduate_school.pdf

I wish I had an example to send -- I'm still working on my own. Though honestly, looking at my friends' statements who are in programs hasn't actually helped much, just made me question my own gut instincts. 

Thanks for the head start, victoriansimpkins. I can't say I know any more than I did, or feel any more confident about the task at hand,  having read these--although the quasi-racist dialogue embedded in the former article was eye-opening in a certain way--but it's nice to know that we're both (all) paddling against the current on this. 

Best of luck in your cycle. Do keep us up to date. 

I don't know how many departments do this, but it might be worth reaching out to the graduate administrator at your undergraduate university and asking if they have any samples on deck that they're able to share. In addition to those I asked current grad students at my undergrad to share with me, I was given copies of 3 successful statements that the department keeps around for just this purpose.

Hey, all - I'd be happy to share how I approached the SOP (my various versions got me into 5 Ph.D. programs last season).

The SOP is an individual kind of document (and I'm  NOT taking into consideration the various department regulations, like word count or prompt questions when I say that), so there's really no single "right way" to do it. That being said, I'm happy to share how I approached writing 14 of them in a way that didn't make me pull out all of my hair. 

If you'd like my 2 cents, shoot me a PM. And good luck!!!

• 1 year later...
On 8/22/2018 at 3:12 AM, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

Hey, all - I'd be happy to share how I approached the SOP (my various versions got me into 5 Ph.D. programs last season).

The SOP is an individual kind of document (and I'm  NOT taking into consideration the various department regulations, like word count or prompt questions when I say that), so there's really no single "right way" to do it. That being said, I'm happy to share how I approached writing 14 of them in a way that didn't make me pull out all of my hair. 

If you'd like my 2 cents, shoot me a PM. And good luck!!!

Came across this as I am currently laboring through my own SOP. I'll be glad for any help. Thank you