2019-2020 Boren Applicants

woshimeiguoren

On 5/2/2019 at 3:22 PM, yallabye said:

It's May 2nd...have any alternates heard anything back yet? Or would it still be too early?

I saw from last year's forum page that alternates heard of whether they were selected by May 5. Last year's date also might be a little early compared to this year. 

On 5/4/2019 at 1:22 PM, LDOC said:

I saw from last year's forum page that alternates heard of whether they were selected by May 5. Last year's date also might be a little early compared to this year. 

@LDOC I received an offer from Boren on Friday around 11 am. I applied for the SAFLI program and was selected as an alternate. I didn't expect to hear so soon but I'm thrilled I did! I don't know about that May 5th deadline, though. 

On 4/25/2019 at 12:26 PM, Diana R said:

Hey, congrats! I also got accepted for an AFLI scholarship in Tanzania this year! Unfortunately, I think I'm gonna decline my award-- I've been going back and forth between Boren and another program I got into, which has been an extremely hard choice for me, but I think I'm leaning towards the other program. That being said, I'm still really interested in Boren and hope I can apply again when I'm in grad school (planning on calling Shereen today to ask if it's possible to reapply after declining or whether that'll just kill my chances going forward lol). I'm going to have some serious FOMO this coming year if I don't do Boren, so, if it's not a weird request (and I totally understand if it is!), would you mind adding me on facebook or instagram or something so that I can get a glimpse of your Boren experience in Tanzania and ask you questions about it at the end? I've already thought of some things I would do differently in my application the next time around, especially surrounding the spring internship, just based on a recent conversation I had with a Boren Tanzania alum-- but I would love to get more perspectives as well as live vicariously through you throughout the next year! And if anyone reading this is an AFLI Tanzania alternate: you may just get my spot! ? 

Hi! I never thought anyone would respond to my message because all correspondence seemed to stop after the initial decision date on April 15! I will definitely add you to the group! Feel free to message me your facebook link! I am so excited!

Hi everyone,

I created a Facebook Page for Boren winners (scholars and fellows) for 2019-2020. The group is called "2019-2020 Boren Scholars and Fellows". I hope it becomes a place where people can share pictures and videos and thoughts about their experiences and also questions about anything once their experience begins. I am unable to share the link on here for whatever reasons, technical difficulties may be. However, you can add me on Facebook by searching "Abiodun Adeoye" and there is a picture of me wearing a maroon jacket and posing with Maryland Governor Larry Hogan. I hope you all join!! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

In case people were interested in this year's top line statistics.

"This year, the Institute of International Education, which administers the awards on behalf of NSEP, received 851 applications from undergraduate students for the Boren Scholarship and 244 were awarded; 273 graduate students applied for the Boren Fellowship and 106 were awarded." April 17, 2019

• 3 months later...

Hi all! I got a place as an alternate for the scholarship and figured I didn't actually have any chance of getting the award. However, I received an email today asking me if I was still eligible (in school, etc) and what the dates of my program would be. I'm trying keep my expectations low, but I can't help feeling that I might move off the alternate list and into the awardee pool. Has anyone else received a similar email? Or experience moving off the alternate list? 

Edited by cfm
Clarity