2019-2020 Boren Applicants

woshimeiguoren

21 minutes ago, motorka said:

Has anyone ever heard about Boren recipients being able to change their program? I have been thinking about sticking with my language but changing the program and country. Thoughts?

Yes, someone mentioned that in an earlier post. 

On 4/14/2019 at 4:12 PM, ahlanahlan said:

I wonder if apps are down this year again...I think I heard or read that they have been down compared to previous years 

They are, at least for the fellowship. We were told that during a webinar at my university by the Boren folks. Down to 3-400 from 6-700. 

1 hour ago, motorka said:

Has anyone ever heard about Boren recipients being able to change their program? I have been thinking about sticking with my language but changing the program and country. Thoughts?

Yeah I posted the link to the Boren handbook in an earlier post, you cannot change your language, but it seems like once you receive the award they are pretty flexible. I think they are more interested in your commitment to language learning and your future plans than locking you into a particular study abroad program

Last year was released around 1:30pm EST, the year before that 10:15am, year before that 9:45am, year before that 12:40pm, year before that 2:00pm. Hopefully we'll hear sooner rather than later, it's brutal being in Europe and having to wait all day ?

6 minutes ago, parisetsenegal said:

Last year was released around 1:30pm EST, the year before that 10:15am, year before that 9:45am, year before that 12:40pm, year before that 2:00pm. Hopefully we'll hear sooner rather than later, it's brutal being in Europe and having to wait all day ?

Gonna be eating dinner when these results come out ????

7 minutes ago, parisetsenegal said:

Also where are you in Europe, out of curiosity? I’m in Italy!

and does anyone know if all decisions are being released at the same time or if alternates will be notified later?

2 minutes ago, rachel8512 said:

Also where are you in Europe, out of curiosity? I’m in Italy!

and does anyone know if all decisions are being released at the same time or if alternates will be notified later?

Per the username, I'm studying abroad in Paris this semester and am hoping for a Boren to continue studying French this summer/fall in Senegal ?

It seems from past threads that alternates were notified at the same time as everyone else!

10 minutes ago, boolaboo said:

Has anyone been able to get confirmation that today is for sure the day?

It usually is released on a Monday, the third week of April. So if it's not today, it'll be tomorrow by the latest ?

PS Does anybody know the acceptance rates for the Boren Scholarship/ Fellowship? I know there's a difference between the two but I was just curious! 

Edited by trine

59 minutes ago, trine said:

For those wondering about the 2018-2019 statistics for the flagship program, here it is ?

Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 10.36.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 10.36.27 AM.png

Where did you find these? I'm wondering if there are similar statistics for the general scholarship.

10 minutes ago, sab333 said:

Where did you find these? I'm wondering if there are similar statistics for the general scholarship.

https://nsep.gov/sites/default/files/NSEP 2018 Annual Report (web).pdf

It's all in the NSEP 2018 Annual Report! 

You might also find this helpful as well! 

Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 11.51.08 AM.png

Edited by trine

2 hours ago, kankoushitai said:

Does anyone know if they send out acceptance emails first and then rejection emails or does everyone hear at the same time?

I've been lurking on this thread to try to soften the blow if I don't get it, because at least for other scholarships, I know they send out acceptance emails first. I would assume Boren would do the same, but seeing as they send students to so many different regions, I'm not sure if they'll send out notification emails to all applicants or if they are separated by region.