2019-2020 Boren Applicants

woshimeiguoren

Hey guys! Just got my French OPI results back and it seems like I fulfilled the Intermediate High Proficiency requirement! Now I *really* have nothing left to do but wait until the 18th  (or so)!

Hey guys, I know this might be a long-shot, but for curiosity's sake, did any of you happen to check your application login pages linked in the first Boren budget email? Even after the March 24th budget change deadline, there was still the option of submitting additional changes to the budget on the page. Now, the prompt/option is no longer there, at least not on my page. Just wondering if it's the same across the board. Maybe the results are finally finalized ?

9 hours ago, yallabye said:

Hey guys, I know this might be a long-shot, but for curiosity's sake, did any of you happen to check your application login pages linked in the first Boren budget email? Even after the March 24th budget change deadline, there was still the option of submitting additional changes to the budget on the page. Now, the prompt/option is no longer there, at least not on my page. Just wondering if it's the same across the board. Maybe the results are finally finalized ?

After I confirmed that I didn't have any changes, the option on the application page went away. Was yours still there? 

Did you make changes to your budget? Maybe that was why yours was still available. 

Edited by co0311

40 minutes ago, co0311 said:

After I confirmed that I didn't have any changes, the option on the application page went away. Was yours still there? 

Did you make changes to your budget? Maybe that was why yours was still available. 

Oh I'm sorry, I meant that mine also went away and I didn't make any changes either.  

2 hours ago, co0311 said:

I didn’t make changes to my budget and then logged in two more times before the March 24th deadline just to read my application again. the option to make changes was still there so I updated it those two additional times, cause I was worried that logging in undid my previous selection. Logging in today, it is no longer there. 

12 hours ago, yallabye said:

What option exactly? The button that asks if I want to upload any additional documents is still there. Are you talking about something else? 

56 minutes ago, sab333 said:

What option exactly? The button that asks if I want to upload any additional documents is still there. Are you talking about something else? 

When Boren sent us the first budget email, they mentioned that when we log in we'd see a prompt asking to add additional budget info. Apparently, this option/prompt had gone away, not the general 'add info' option. 

15 minutes ago, yallabye said:

When Boren sent us the first budget email, they mentioned that when we log in we'd see a prompt asking to add additional budget info. Apparently, this option/prompt had gone away, not the general 'add info' option. 

Oh whoops, sorry. Didn't read your first post closely enough. But yeah, I'm assuming that's just part of the process. Not sure why they only took it away now, but assuming at least one person in this thread is getting the award (fingers crossed for everyone), it seems like it's across the board and not indicative of much. 

44 minutes ago, yallabye said:

Also I applied to the Fellowship, so our application pages/ info might be different. 

Hi everyone! AFLI French/Wolof applicant here.

Does anyone know what level in the ILR  scale is ultimately required to attend the program? The eligibility page says, “Must be at level 1+ on the ILR scale” http://africanlanguages.americancouncils.org/?q=content/eligibility-3

Not sure if this translates to the intermediate high posted on the Boren site: https://www.borenawards.org/scholarships/thinking-applying/special-initiatives/african-flagship-languages-initiative-options-1

Thanks so much for any clarification! And good luck y’all!

Edited by LBJArcher
Clarification

I was curious about that a while ago and found these charts. 

From the American University Center of Provence

CEFR ILR ACTFL
A1 0/0+ NL, NM, NH
A2 1 IL, IM
B1 1+ IH
B2 2/2+ AL, AM, AH
C1 3/3+ S
C2 4/4+ D

From Heritage Canada

CEFR ILR ACTFL NB OPS[28] CLB PSC PSC[29]
A1 0/0+/1 Novice (Low/Mid/High) Unrated/0+/1 1/2 A
A2 1+ Intermediate (Low/Mid/High) 1+/2 3/4 B
B1 2 Advanced Low 2+ 5/6 C
B2 2+ Advanced Mid 3 7/8  
C1 3/3+ Advanced High 3+ 9/10  
C2 4 Superior 4 11/12  
  4+/5      

CEFR is a European standard.

So basically a 1+ is an Intermediate High, but that's also just for Speaking. Not sure what the exact test would be like, but I took a test for ILR Speaking 3 and had three basic questions that I had to answer with 90+ second responses. They were all simple opinion-based questions and didn't require any specific technical knowledge in the language. Basically small talk. 

On 4/4/2019 at 3:54 PM, moussdutoxx said:

I think april 15th as well. Still no news on receiving second budget emails for general scholarship and fellowship applicants? Anybody get one? 

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing (give or take a day or two). I haven't gotten a second budget email, anyone else? I was thinking either today or next week sometime based on past dates. 

As a side note, I anxiously check this thread often to see if anyone else has gotten the second budget email, but I really would not like that to be the way I find out I didn't get the scholarship lol 

Edited by sab333

I got a second budget email March 27th from Boren Europe. But it asked specific questions about my domestic budget rather than a general budget email. Not sure if that's good or bad...

So, I spoke to a Boren representative today b/c I'm also applying to grad school and the deadline for that is coming up. The representative said that we should be notified sometime this week or next Monday at the absolute latest. 

Also, has anyone received a second budget update email for the Fellowship?

48 minutes ago, grob33 said:

So, I spoke to a Boren representative today b/c I'm also applying to grad school and the deadline for that is coming up. The representative said that we should be notified sometime this week or next Monday at the absolute latest. 

Wow, already may hear this week? I’m so glad the wait is almost over but I’m also a bit terrified.

I applied for a Fellowship but only heard from Boren Asia about the first budget email. Would like to know if anyone got a second one as well...

50 minutes ago, grob33 said:

Welp, there goes doing anything productive on Thursday or Friday...

This week is going to be so anxiety filled ? I did receive the budget email March 19th, the one that was all “not all applicants receiving this notification will be awarded” (the rough contents of last year’s second budget emails). I am applying as a general applicant to study the Georgian language in Georgia. 

I talked to my Boren rep about a week ago and she said that she was notified that we would be notified by "probably the 9th" -A Boren Reviewer

But I'll (hopefully) be studying Arabic for 8 months at the Qasid Arabic Institute in Jordan. Then over this summer June-August, if anyone else is going to be there!

Someone should call today, I would but I'm in Europe. It seems from past threads if you call the day of decisions they usually tell you if they're coming out later that day  ? if you can't tell I'm stressing like crazy