2019-2020 Boren Applicants

woshimeiguoren

General fellowship applicant to Tanzania, one budget email on March 19th. No second budget email. They may have just streamlined the process, or maybe the applicant pool size has an affect

15 hours ago, QasidHabib19 said:

I talked to my Boren rep about a week ago and she said that she was notified that we would be notified by "probably the 9th" -A Boren Reviewer

But I'll (hopefully) be studying Arabic for 8 months at the Qasid Arabic Institute in Jordan. Then over this summer June-August, if anyone else is going to be there!

I applied there as well, starting in level 2. What level are you? Are you going with CLS this summer or another program? 

2 hours ago, sab333 said:

I applied there as well, starting in level 2. What level are you? Are you going with CLS this summer or another program? 

I'll be going directly through Qasid for the Summer Term and I will be testing into a level (most likely 2) and taking the supplemental Ammiya course as well

Hello friends,

I applied for SAFLI. I have received 2 budget emails. The first email was to confirm and/or update my budget. The second email, received on March 28th, instructed me to further confirm my budget information. I think the 2-email-acceptance theory is a fallacy. My budget information wasn't detailed and so I believe that is why I was sent a second email.  [Because I'm a slacker]

Good luck everyone :) 

Hello, I'm an AFLI fellowship applicant to Tanzania. I've received two budget emails. The first on March 18 and the second on March 27. I also got a follow up email on April 2 asking some additional questions about my budget. Any other AFLI applicants receive the second budget email? I'm ready for this waiting to be over....

21 minutes ago, CS135 said:

Hey CS135,

Thanks for your reply. Maybe I'm reading too much into receiving two budget emails? All research I've done has pointed to this being positively correlated with being accepted. Perhaps all AFLI applicants receive two budget emails? Wishing us both good luck!

2 minutes ago, AllieJohn said:

Hey CS135,

Thanks for your reply. Maybe I'm reading too much into receiving two budget emails? All research I've done has pointed to this being positively correlated with being accepted. Perhaps all AFLI applicants receive two budget emails? Wishing us both good luck!

I'm wondering if only flagship programs get two budget emails. I'm anxious about the fact that I haven't gotten one. I am a general scholarship applicant, no flagship program.

I think the 2 budget email thing might not exist this year (at least I hope not) because the budget email I received first made it seem like it was not sent to everyone, so it might just be an indication that we made it through some cuts. Not sure if anyone here didn’t receive a budget email like that though. 

10 minutes ago, rachel8512 said:

I think the 2 budget email thing might not exist this year (at least I hope not) because the budget email I received first made it seem like it was not sent to everyone, so it might just be an indication that we made it through some cuts. Not sure if anyone here didn’t receive a budget email like that though. 

My budget email included this message "This process does not in any way guarantee that you will be a Boren awardee. We want to be very clear that not all applicants receiving this message will be awarded." I was under the impression it was sent to everyone. Did yours say this? Also, thank you to both for your responses!

On 4/9/2019 at 5:35 PM, SnapesOnAPlane said:

Oh, I'm also doing CLS this summer so I hope to see some of you at the orientation in Washington D.C!!! 

Can you combine SAFLI participation and the CLS program? The summer portion is theoretically at the UW Madison site if I'm correct. Do they make an exception for CLS awardees?