How much does it cost to apply to a school?

6 hours ago, A-1 said:

I know that schools have different application fees. I was wondering, on average, how much does it cost to apply to one school?

CSDCAS cost $50 per application  (after the first one which is $100), the initial cost of sending all your transcripts to them, and then the cost of sending GRE scores ($27 for each school you apply to).  If you're applying through CSDCAS it will be about $77 for all the applications after the first one.  You only have to pay to send your transcripts to CSDCAS once, however, you have to pay to have your GRE sent to every school.  Keep in mind, some school have supplemental applications via their website in addition to CSDCAS that sometimes require additional fees. 

If you're applying to a school outside of CSDCAS I've seen the price range from $25-$75 plus the GRE and transcript costs.  I had about 6 transcripts so my cost really got up there! 

6 hours ago, WesttoEast18 said:

CSDCAS cost $50 per application  (after the first one which is $100), the initial cost of sending all your transcripts to them, and then the cost of sending GRE scores ($27 for each school you apply to).  If you're applying through CSDCAS it will be about $77 for all the applications after the first one.  You only have to pay to send your transcripts to CSDCAS once, however, you have to pay to have your GRE sent to every school.  Keep in mind, some school have supplemental applications via their website in addition to CSDCAS that sometimes require additional fees. 

If you're applying to a school outside of CSDCAS I've seen the price range from $25-$75 plus the GRE and transcript costs.  I had about 6 transcripts so my cost really got up there! 

Yep, one of my programs had a supplemental app which was another $60 beyond the CSDCAS price. Lame.

However, if you already know which schools you're applying to when you take the GRE, you can send scores to (I think) five schools for free, which helps. Be really careful to send the score to the right code, though, since some schools have a couple (CSDCAS, online vs in-person). I had to resend two scores because I used the wrong code. Super lame.

I think I spent around $900 (more or less) to apply to 5 schools. That includes the fees from CSDCAS, transcripts, other supplemental fees from the school itself, and the GRE. 

My fees averaged around $100 per school, but I had 4 transcripts to send to each school. If I added the cost of the GRE it would average higher. I just kept reminding myself that my SLP salary will one day pay for all this debt!! ?

• 7 months later...

I think it cost me no more than $400-500. I got the discount waiver for the GRE, CSDCAS reduction waiver, so I save around $200, thank God. The application fees were around $50-80 and I applied to 6 programs. Some required a CSDCAS fee and a fee from the university. Seeing as I didn't get into a program this time, I'll be spending more money next cycle ?

My most expensive school was about $225 ($100 CSDCAS, $90 supplemental app + GRE scores + transcripts) and the cheapest was about $80 ($50 non-CSDCAS application + GRE scores + transcripts). It can definitely get expensive, and keep in mind that a good amount of schools don't use CSDCAS! It all depends on where you're applying, but of my six schools only two used CSDCAS, which probably increased my expenses at a bit (sending transcripts to every institution, etc.). This is why I'd recommend really trying to narrow down your application list and only applying to schools that you would definitely want to attend! If I were doing it over, I would have applied to only four or five schools, because looking back I wouldn't have really wanted to attend either of them (particularly the most expensive application one, which was a super reach school that I knew I wouldn't get into and wouldn't have been able to afford even if I did).

Like everyone said, it can get expensive! If you know early on which schools interest you, look into application fee waivers for each school. Don't be afraid to ask schools directly, since many of them do not advertise them. One of my schools just gave me a code in an email!

CSDCAS also kffers a waiver for the initial application. It's available on a first-come, first-serve basis, so I'd get those apps done ASAP.