2019 Canadian Speech-Language Pathology

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On October 23, 2018 at 2:19 PM, SLPwannabe! said:

Hey! Where is everyone applying? I'm applying to Ualberta, Western, Dal, McMaster, and McGill! Anyone submitted their apps already yet?

I’m applying to Western, McMaster, and McGill!

On 10/23/2018 at 2:19 PM, SLPwannabe! said:

Hey! Where is everyone applying? I'm applying to Ualberta, Western, Dal, McMaster, and McGill! Anyone submitted their apps already yet?

I'm applying to Western, McMaster, and U of T! Definitely haven't submitted my application yet, but I'm working on it

Hi everyone! I have two questions about the University of Alberta. I thought I'd ask here before contacting the department directly.

1. I've heard rumours that applicants  with pre-reqs that are in progress at the time of application are at a serious disadvantage -- or could even be disqualified, even if the pre-reqs should be complete well before the start of the program. Can anyone confirm that?

2. Does anyone know if there's an expiry date on pre-reqs? Suppose someone is a career changer and took some of the courses several years ago.

Thanks for any guidance!

Guest student45238
39 minutes ago, curiouslp said:

Hi everyone! I have two questions about the University of Alberta. I thought I'd ask here before contacting the department directly.

1. I've heard rumours that applicants  with pre-reqs that are in progress at the time of application are at a serious disadvantage -- or could even be disqualified, even if the pre-reqs should be complete well before the start of the program. Can anyone confirm that?

2. Does anyone know if there's an expiry date on pre-reqs? Suppose someone is a career changer and took some of the courses several years ago.

Thanks for any guidance!

I heard from the department that they prefer if all the pre-reqs are finished, but it doesn't disqualify you if they aren't. I know people who have been accepted with three classes in progress. I was planning to apply with one course in progress, but since they added the new indigenous course pre-req I'll be applying with two courses in progress. I'm sure other people are in the same boat. I wouldn't worry about it too much if the rest of your application is strong. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2018 at 2:43 PM, curiouslp said:

Thanks for any guidance!

Hey there!

I'm currently in my first year of the MSc. S-LP program at the U of A. Regarding your first question, I had one course in progress at the time of the application deadline. Last year, people started getting early acceptances before I even finished that course. I was notified I was on the waitlist in March and received acceptance in April. Regarding your second question, I believe the expiry date is 10 years, but you should ask someone at the admissions office! I was a career changer - I worked in a different field for a few years before pursuing S-LP.

Let me know if you have any additional questions! 

Edited by JJ92

5 hours ago, /spiʧ nɚd/ said:

Hey everyone!

I thought to let you know that there is another 2019 Canadian SLP thread that is a bit more active than this one:

Good luck with your applications!

I just wanted to say that your username makes me really really happy.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I'm a third year undergrad student and I've been reading some of the posts here trying to get an idea of what is required to be accepted into Canadian SLP programs. I unfortunately had a (very) rough year in second year and the highest I will realistically be able to boost my cGPA is 3.2/3.3 and that includes an extra semester. Reading these posts has made me think that I perhaps do not have a chance of attending grad school without doing more than one additional semester which, at that point, will not be worth it for me financially.

Anyway! my main question is how important is cGPA?  My subGPA will be stellar if I continue earning the grades I am right now but I can't erase the damage from second year.

Sorry I know this is a bit off-topic but I have not received a response from any of the  universities I contacted and I need to start making some decisions.

Thank you and good luck to all of you!

• 1 month later...

Hey there!

Looking to apply hopefully next fall, but will likely have to take some sort of fifth year because of my second year grades. 

Does anyone know how bad it looks to have a "Withdrawn" class on your transcript/have a semester where you took 4 classes instead of 5? I'm in a class right now that I don't really need and the prof got in trouble previous years for her average being too high so now she's making it unreasonably difficult. I'd like to drop it because it's going to bring my average down and I will have enough credits to graduate due to a summer course I'm taking regardless, and I feel like I will do better in my other classes if I drop this one. But I've been told it might look bad to have a dropped class/lessened course load - but at the same time, what's worse, a lower GPA or one withdrawn course in your entire transcript?

Thanks!