Hey yall!  I am planning on applying for SLP programs that start Summer 2019 or Fall 2019, depending on the program.  I spent three years at a small private school where I majored in elementary education and special education.  I realized my true calling was in SLP so I transferred schools to pursue these dreams.  I had spent over a year and a half unhappy with my education major and finally got up the courage to transfer.  I decided to transfer the August of what would have been my senior year and it was the hardest decision ever!  At my old school, I had a 3.7 GPA, over 200+ volunteer hours in Title I schools, was hugely involved in the community outside of campus with community service as well as being involved on campus, in a sorority, and worked my entire time in school.  I was able to finish my B.S. in Communication Sciences in Disorders in two years (SO PROUD OF MYSELF!), but as a result my overall GPA suffered.  I had a 3.3 overall GPA, 3.2 GPA in CSD courses, and a 3.275 GPA for my last 60 hours.  I have the 25 shadowing hours per ASHA requirements...not sure how Master Clinician fits into those? While taking CSD classes, I worked at an after school program with a really diverse student population, volunteered with special needs students, was involved within my sorority, and shadowed in the speech and hearing clinic on campus.

I am currently taking a gap year to increase my GRE score.  The first time taking it I got a 152 VR, 137 VR, and 4 AW, the second time 150 VR, 143 QR, and 3.5 AW.  Before taking the GRE the second time, I solely focused on studying for the QR section.  Right now during my gap year, I am gaining some awesome shadowing experience, working as a nanny, have a private tutor for the GRE, and am studying on my own.  I haven't scheduled my third (and hopefully last!) time taking the GRE, but am looking at October or November.  I feel like I'm putting myself in a panic and am trying to be realistic about my chances of getting into grad school. Any advice, tips, schools I should look into, or insight about my real chances of getting in would be greatly appreciated!!! I want to stay in the South if possible!  Thanks in advance!

Edited by gapeachslp

Hi! To start off, if you read threads on this forum, you will find people who have had similar GPAs as you, and were accepted into programs. So I would encourage you to apply! 

When you are sending transcripts, you will probably need to send both (even from the first school as an education major) to show that you have taken all the prerequisite classes that ASHA and your grad program require. I know I took 4 college credits in calculus in high school and had to send that "transcript" to each school/CSDCAS even though it wasn't a CSD course or anything. Because of this, I think they will see your GPA from both schools and probably take into consideration how high it was at your old school. (I don't know for sure though.) 

I think it is wise to take your GREs one more time to try to at least raise your quantitative scores! I would also suggest, if possible, maybe retake some of the classes that you didn't do very well in. (If you received a C in any of them)

Then, just focus on making the rest of your application as strong as it can. Include all of your involvement, work/volunteer experience, etc on your resume. Try to get very strong letters of recommendation from people that know you well and can vouch for you as a person and for your work ethic. Then in you letter of intent, talk about why you fell in love with the field. What are your strengths and weaknesses? Why do you want to attend the particular program you are applying to? This is where you could use specific names of alum and professors from the program. Talk about the research they do. Talk about the values of the school and the program and why they are also important to you. I was always told that programs will appreciate that you took the time to look deeper into the program. 

As for what schools to apply to, do some intense searching on ASHA EdFind. I would start geographically, where you are willing to move to and then look for programs in those areas. Then start looking at how much the programs are (if price is important) and what kind of stats accepted students usually have. I might suggest smaller schools in more rural areas. If you are anywhere close to Western Pennsylvania, I would suggest looking into Edinboro University, Clarion University and Cal U. Ultimately, grad programs are all competitive. You could always apply to online programs as well, I have read on these threads they are a little easier to get into. It might also be worth applying to schools that have interview processes as well. 

In my opinion, I think you have a pretty good shot at being accepted. GPA isn't everything! Best of luck!

18 hours ago, gapeachslp said:

I have the 25 shadowing hours per ASHA requirements...not sure how Master Clinician fits into those?

A word of caution with Master Clinician: I had 12 hours through them but was unable to use them. The certificate with the hours had my professor's name and ASHA ID#, but because her actual signature wasn't on it my program would not accept them. I emailed my professor, but by then it was summer, I never heard back and had to get the full 25 hours elsewhere. They also do not break down the videos by age level, speech/language, or dx/rd, which my program also required, so make sure all that stuff is on there! 

• 6 months later...
On 9/5/2018 at 12:29 PM, Jordyn_M463 said:

Hi! To start off, if you read threads on this forum, you will find people who have had similar GPAs as you, and were accepted into programs. So I would encourage you to apply! 

When you are sending transcripts, you will probably need to send both (even from the first school as an education major) to show that you have taken all the prerequisite classes that ASHA and your grad program require. I know I took 4 college credits in calculus in high school and had to send that "transcript" to each school/CSDCAS even though it wasn't a CSD course or anything. Because of this, I think they will see your GPA from both schools and probably take into consideration how high it was at your old school. (I don't know for sure though.) 

I think it is wise to take your GREs one more time to try to at least raise your quantitative scores! I would also suggest, if possible, maybe retake some of the classes that you didn't do very well in. (If you received a C in any of them)

Then, just focus on making the rest of your application as strong as it can. Include all of your involvement, work/volunteer experience, etc on your resume. Try to get very strong letters of recommendation from people that know you well and can vouch for you as a person and for your work ethic. Then in you letter of intent, talk about why you fell in love with the field. What are your strengths and weaknesses? Why do you want to attend the particular program you are applying to? This is where you could use specific names of alum and professors from the program. Talk about the research they do. Talk about the values of the school and the program and why they are also important to you. I was always told that programs will appreciate that you took the time to look deeper into the program. 

As for what schools to apply to, do some intense searching on ASHA EdFind. I would start geographically, where you are willing to move to and then look for programs in those areas. Then start looking at how much the programs are (if price is important) and what kind of stats accepted students usually have. I might suggest smaller schools in more rural areas. If you are anywhere close to Western Pennsylvania, I would suggest looking into Edinboro University, Clarion University and Cal U. Ultimately, grad programs are all competitive. You could always apply to online programs as well, I have read on these threads they are a little easier to get into. It might also be worth applying to schools that have interview processes as well. 

In my opinion, I think you have a pretty good shot at being accepted. GPA isn't everything! Best of luck!

I am SO late responding to this, but I just wanted to take a minute and say thank you. You genuinely gave me hope and kept me going through this stressful process and I’m so sorry I’m just now responding!! I did have to send all my transcripts which was a pain!! I took the GRE a total of FIVE times so lol at that. On my last try my score stayed about the same, but my AW score went up to a 4.5!!!! I really think that helped out my application. I think my GRE from my old school and explaining that I finished my CSD undergrad classes in two years because I was so determined to be an SLP. My LORs and personal statement were super strong and I took all your advice into writing them so thanks for the insight!! As for ASHA EdFind, I scoured pretty much every school in the southeast and ended up applying to seven. Exciting news: as of right now I have two offers of admission and couldn’t be more thrilled. I’m having such a hard time deciding, but am so beyond thankful for my two acceptances!!!

On 9/5/2018 at 5:26 PM, bibliophile222 said:

A word of caution with Master Clinician: I had 12 hours through them but was unable to use them. The certificate with the hours had my professor's name and ASHA ID#, but because her actual signature wasn't on it my program would not accept them. I emailed my professor, but by then it was summer, I never heard back and had to get the full 25 hours elsewhere. They also do not break down the videos by age level, speech/language, or dx/rd, which my program also required, so make sure all that stuff is on there! 

I’m so, so sorry to just now be getting back to you!! I read this a while back and forgot to respond. Buuuttt I wanted to reach out and thank you as well for the advice!! I’ve earned additional in person hours and documented them like you suggested. I have over the 25 observation hours I need so now I’m all set on that!