Post Declines and Acceptances?

So I thought since we are done (mostly) watching the acceptances, how about posting when we accept or decline an offer? Is that too personal? If not, contribute whenever! Or maybe just update our signatures? Would that be easier?

I'll go:

American Studies, PhD App.

Declined University of Miami.

I'm not entirely comfortable listing programs, especially since my decision hasn't been finalized. But if waitlistees are willing to list the programs that they're waiting on, I wouldn't mind sending them a private message once I make a decision that might affect their standings. I suspect that there might be a few others in my shoes...wanting to help out (I've been waitlisted before, so I know how much it sucks) but not quite ready to declare quite so publicly.

I wish I could edit the topic of this thread, but a good suggestion I rec'd is that this thread could be used to post our waitlists, and then folks can check here to Private Message those who they want to inform of their rejections. Anyhoo, maybe it's too soon or too personal :) But feel free to post your favorite waitlists here to see if someone will respond to you and let you know privately that they are declining a program!

I wish I could edit the topic of this thread, but a good suggestion I rec'd is that this thread could be used to post our waitlists, and then folks can check here to Private Message those who they want to inform of their rejections. Anyhoo, maybe it's too soon or too personal :) But feel free to post your favorite waitlists here to see if someone will respond to you and let you know privately that they are declining a program!

This is actually quite a sticky wicket. I'm no. 1 on a particular waitlist, actually, the only school I can or want to go to (my wife is there and I'm not going anywhere else), and have been closely watching events unfold. A few days ago I actually saw evidence that someone had declined their spot. Obviously, I was excited. Now, days later, there is utter silence and I actually feel much, much more nervous than before. Sheesh. Not that I'm suggesting any of you are as obsessive as me. Just be careful. It's a dangerous world.

If you are indeed first on a waitlist, it would be extremely surprising if you did were not ultimately admitted. Worry not.

This is actually quite a sticky wicket. I'm no. 1 on a particular waitlist, actually, the only school I can or want to go to (my wife is there and I'm not going anywhere else), and have been closely watching events unfold. A few days ago I actually saw evidence that someone had declined their spot. Obviously, I was excited. Now, days later, there is utter silence and I actually feel much, much more nervous than before. Sheesh. Not that I'm suggesting any of you are as obsessive as me. Just be careful. It's a dangerous world.

If you are indeed first on a waitlist, it would be extremely surprising if you did were not ultimately admitted. Worry not.

I don't think anyone's dying on a waitlist for my programs, but I'm choosing among Louisville, UNCG, VA Tech, and South Carolina. It's basically come down to UNCG and South Carolina, so it that helps anyone....(sorry, I knew I wasn't Top 20 grade! But I'm in Rhet/Comp...)

Worry not! If only it were possible. I do appreciate your vote of confidence, and I am very optimistic about the situation. Here's what I meant to convey: knowing that someone has declined their spot won't relieve the anxiety unless it is quickly followed by the call or the email that officially declares your official in-ness; in fact, I'd say, I wish I didn't know and that I could still be ignorantly obsessively checking my email every three minutes just assuming that no one had yet declined. Okay, I'm off to look for another distraction.

Is it really true that a number one on the waitlist will ultimatly be admitted? I pretty much think I am out of luck at this point.....

Not really, no. I was no. 1 somewhere last year, and I suppose, technically, I got in, but it was only after my partner declined on april 15th when it was clear no other spots were opening up. I guess it also depends on the school. Some schools over-admit knowing that some accepts will decline, while others, thankfully like the school I'm waitlisted at, will admit only as many spots as they have and go to the waitlist as soon as someone declines.

Not really, no. I was no. 1 somewhere last year, and I suppose, technically, I got in, but it was only after my partner declined on april 15th when it was clear no other spots were opening up. I guess it also depends on the school. Some schools over-admit knowing that some accepts will decline, while others, thankfully like the school I'm waitlisted at, will admit only as many spots as they have and go to the waitlist as soon as someone declines.

So... if you are number one on a waitlist and your school does not over admit you have a good shot at them going to the waitlist and picking you up? Guess I always just thought of a waitlist as 4th place- close but no admit.

So... if you are number one on a waitlist and your school does not over admit you have a good shot at them going to the waitlist and picking you up? Guess I always just thought of a waitlist as 4th place- close but no admit.

You can't really generalize this, since every program handles it differently. You might want to inquire into the details at your particular program. To give you examples of some possible (and common) configurations...

Program A: 10 slots. Admits 10 people, places 15 more on a waitlist (or may or may not be ranked). Once anyone declines, they'll go to the waitlist candidates.

Program B: 10 slots. Admits 25 people, waitlists 5. Will go to the list only if they hear 16 or more no's.

Program C: 10 slots. Admits 15 people, waitlists 4 more. Will go to the waitlist if at least 6 people begin turning them down.

Program D: 10 slots. Admits 18 people. waitlists 5 more AND DON'T TELL THEM (the infamous "internal" waitlist). (in this case, they generally don't expect to go to the waitlist at all). If they have 9 rejections, they may call someone in late April to admit them

Program E: 10 slots. Admits 30 people, offers guaranteed funding to 10. No waitlist, but will cycle the funding to some of the 20 "unfunded" students if any of the funded 10 rejects. (to complicate this, some programs have funding packages that can be "recycled" to another acceptees, and funding packages that can't be.)

If you're first on the waitlist at program A, your odds are very, very good. (Most programs--even the top 10--will have a 50% rejection rate...if not higher). If you're at Programs B or D, not so much. If you're accepted into program E, it's in your favor to hold out on accepting the offer even if that's your only one, in case you are offered funding.

Most programs, I think, will over-admit...though that might have changed this year, given that many places don't have the extra "cushion" in case too many students accept.

I am thinking along the same lines as yglesias. At one of my schools, at least six people would have to decline before I get in, even though I am the first person on the waitlist. And that is if everything works out with their budget - they are not sure how many students they can afford to fund yet. Another school made it clear that the waitlist is mostly an insurance policy for them - the secretary told me that they are worried that the UC budget crisis will make more people decline than in previous years.

That said, I am on the waitlist for three of the four schools I applied to: UCLA, UC Irvine, and UC Riverside. (Because of my husband's job I am limited to SoCal schools.) It would be nice to hear from anyone declining one of these schools, just to keep my spirits up, though I know it might not come to anything :-P

That said, I am on the waitlist for three of the four schools I applied to: UCLA, UC Irvine, and UC Riverside. (Because of my husband's job I am limited to SoCal schools.) It would be nice to hear from anyone declining one of these schools, just to keep my spirits up, though I know it might not come to anything :-P

Holy cow, you did well, especially given the circumstances. Congrats! I didn't apply to any of these programs myself (I'm trying to get *out* of SoCal), but I spoke with 8 or 9 other people about UCLA (either friends, or students I met during other visitation weekends). All but one or two are leaning away from the program. It's hard to say for certain, especially since UCLA's visit isn't until April (and visits do tend to change minds), but there's a very good chance that UCLA will indeed go to the waitlist.

That said, as I noted, I found out mostly through other visits--which means every person that I talked to had at least one other (and pretty comparable) offer, so this might not have been a representative cross-section of UCLA's admittees.

Wait lists also could depend on your particular field of study, too. For example, I'm wait listed at Texas Tech, and when I emailed them, they said I am the next person in line for the British Literature pre-1700 field. Whether or not I'm accepted will partly (or completely) depend on whether the person in that subfield declines their offer. The DGS also said that in normal years, they admit 50% more students than they have funding for (they fund everyone) expecting some to not accept, but because of the tough economy, they can only admit the number they can fund this year (which is 5). They put 5 people on their wait list (4 others and me), but I'm not sure if those 5 people represent different subfields or not. He didn't say.

This waiting sucks. :-P

I am still holding out for one of my waitlist schools, Boston College. The incoming cohort is only 4-5 people each year. The waitlist is unranked and based largely on on field. I'm going for Victorian Studies. I would be grateful for any news!

Edited by MinniePup

I am still holding out for one of my waitlist schools, Boston College. The incoming cohort is only 4-5 people each year. The waitlist is unranked and based largely on on field. I'm going for Victorian Studies. I would be grateful for any news!

heh, i haven't heard anything from bc and i'm in victorian lit as well. dunno if that = rejection or waitlist.

heh, i haven't heard anything from bc and i'm in victorian lit as well. dunno if that = rejection or waitlist.

Hmmm, I'm not sure what that means. If it helps, I was notified of my BC waitlist spot at the end of February and they told me it was a short waitlist. I've seen others post BC rejections on the results board; however, so maybe they are waiting to see what happens with the current waitlisters before deciding on your app? I should also mention that I'm talking about the PhD program; I'm not sure whether they have started notifying people on the MA waitlist yet.

If it's any consolation, I'm still waiting on schools too (Penn State, University of New Hampshire, and Northeastern). I propose a new law that states all applicants who have not received a decision by April 14th be awarded a full refund of their application fee and additional fees for pain and suffering. wink.gif

Goodluck!

Edited by MinniePup

Hopefully this info can, at least, ease the worries of some of you on the waitlist; and at best, positively effect people's admission or funding status.

Declined:

Cuny/ Dean's Fellowship

Wisconsin-Madison

Duke

NYU

Yale

Struck my name from the waitlist at:

Cornell

Indiana-Bloomington

Update: Waitlisted at U. Florida. Applied to the PhD for English (Film), but they sort it out into an MA first for those who are fresh off a BA (with option to continue onto PhD later) and the PhD (for those bringing along an MA already). Anyone knows any details on size of waitlist/accepted class/% of waitlist -> admit?

Wait listed at University of Wisconsin-Madison and University of Texas-Austin (much more concerned about Texas!)

I know the UT wait list is not really ranked, so if your interests are early 20th century or women and gender studies, I am particularly interested in hearing that you've been accepted to a million fully funded Ivy programs and will be declining!