Got reply from Prof. Are they generic? What next?

Dialina

Question

Sorry first time i poseted in wrong forum.

I got two similar  reply from Professor. 
Professor 1

I appreciate your interest in our research group.  I would encourage you to apply to our department’s program and I will be happy discussing further with you once you are accepted.

Professor 2

thanks for your note.  I urge you to apply to our phd program.  If you are admitted I will be very happy to discuss research possibilities.

Are they indicating RA. Is this positive reply?

What should  I do next beside thanking them? 

How to start a conversation?

Should I ask them about any tip for SOP?

Should I ask more question?   

Freaking outtt

Thanks

5 answers to this question

8 minutes ago, CHims said:

Sorry first time i poseted in wrong forum.

I got two similar  reply from Professor. 
Professor 1

I appreciate your interest in our research group.  I would encourage you to apply to our department’s program and I will be happy discussing further with you once you are accepted.

Professor 2

thanks for your note.  I urge you to apply to our phd program.  If you are admitted I will be very happy to discuss research possibilities.

Are they indicating RA. Is this positive reply?

What should  I do next beside thanking them? 

How to start a conversation?

Should I ask them about any tip for SOP?

Should I ask more question?   

Freaking outtt

Thanks

I think if you have specific questions about their work you can go ahead and ask them. Otherwise, I think the only thing you can do is thank them. Most of my replies were more or less that as well. hahahah Don't read too much into it. If you have any more POIs you are going to email, I'd suggest asking them questions about their work and if you could set up a skype call to chat about your research interests. Might help to send you CV as well. But that's if you are starting conversations with POIs you haven't emailed. Hope this helps :)

On 10/12/2018 at 6:13 PM, Jaysmom said:

I think you first need to apply to their program and get accepted! before they will talk to you. I don't think they are offering RA straight off without you applying and getting accepted to their department Phd program.

Yes I agree. But also heard that it increase your chances if you got noticed by certain Faculty . And if any case they recommend it gets really easy. Managing recommendations is bottleneck for me. And surly money another. Thank You for your reply though.   

On 10/12/2018 at 5:56 PM, loffire said:

I think if you have specific questions about their work you can go ahead and ask them. Otherwise, I think the only thing you can do is thank them. Most of my replies were more or less that as well. hahahah Don't read too much into it. If you have any more POIs you are going to email, I'd suggest asking them questions about their work and if you could set up a skype call to chat about your research interests. Might help to send you CV as well. But that's if you are starting conversations with POIs you haven't emailed. Hope this helps :)

The problem is I asked some question (note) already in my first mail.  Also sent my CV. Oh GOD I need help.....

2 minutes ago, CHims said:

The problem is I asked some question (note) already in my first mail.  Also sent my CV. Oh GOD I need help.....

Then these faculty do not want to continue the conversation till they get your application materials. Faculty members get so many emails that often they just reply out of courtesy. Yes it helps if a faculty member notices you, but more often than not, you got to get through the grad comm's cut. I've heard applicants get cut even before the faculty interested in working with them gets to review application materials.

TL;DR

stop panicking. these things are beyond your control. What you can control are things like your SOP,  your CV, your writing sample and test scores. Work on those as meticulously as you can, and submit your application in advance. MANY applications get tossed for being incomplete.