I am a senior currently applying to Masters programs for Speech-Language Pathology. I am having a hard time narrowing down my list of graduate schools. I am from Illinois, and would like to stay local. However, I have heard a lot that the midwest is a very competitive area for Masters programs. Because of this, I am applying to mostly midwest schools but also some random other locations. I think I am a competitive applicant with lots of relevant work/research/volunteering experiences, 157V, 161Q, 4.5W for the GRE, great letters of rec, good resume/personal statement. I think the worst thing I'm offering is my GPA of 3.5 since it's pretty average (I am hoping everything else will help balance me into being a good candidate). How do I narrow down from 11-12 schools to 7 or 8? I do not want to spend all the time and money to apply to so many programs. 

Do any of the universities accept applicants at other points in the year too? If so, you could apply to a set of universities for fall and then some others in the spring or summer instead if you weren't happy with the first round of letters. Most likely, that would mean a later state date though. As far the applications fees are concerned, you could check each of the universities to see if they offer waivers.

On 11/7/2018 at 4:23 PM, futurechicagoSLP said:

I am a senior currently applying to Masters programs for Speech-Language Pathology. I am having a hard time narrowing down my list of graduate schools. I am from Illinois, and would like to stay local. However, I have heard a lot that the midwest is a very competitive area for Masters programs. Because of this, I am applying to mostly midwest schools but also some random other locations. I think I am a competitive applicant with lots of relevant work/research/volunteering experiences, 157V, 161Q, 4.5W for the GRE, great letters of rec, good resume/personal statement. I think the worst thing I'm offering is my GPA of 3.5 since it's pretty average (I am hoping everything else will help balance me into being a good candidate). How do I narrow down from 11-12 schools to 7 or 8? I do not want to spend all the time and money to apply to so many programs. 

I was going to apply to a large amount of schools but when I saw how much CSDCAS charges I honestly am looking to narrow my list down to about 3-4 programs. Make sure you look on the program's websites to see what stats they accept and if they are similar to yours. This ensures you actually have a good chance of getting admitted and is the best way to narrow down your choices. Your GPA is totally fine, I have a friend who got in with a 3.4. Your GPA is only one part of your application and your GRE scores really make up for it. Also, I recommend not applying to schools that are ranked high on those "top 20 slp program" lists. There is a huge chunk of applicants that flock to send their applications to those schools. I personally am not applying to the programs that get 400+ applications and only accept 20 students for example lol.