Comically low GRE quantitative score

So I just took the GRE last week and my GRE scores shook me to my core. My verbal was pretty okay, I got a 155, however my quantitative is a whopping 136. That's right folks. You heard it right. One three six. I have no idea what went wrong. On my practice test on Magoosh, I got a 145, at least. So imagine my surprise reading that off the screen after 5 long hours of testing! 

Right now, I am still waiting on my writing score. I was set on not retaking the GRE as I will not have time for another test for the rest of the year, however, this is really making me nervous. I do think and have been told that I am a competitive candidate (lots of research and volunteer experience, 3.9 major GPA, NSSLHA president, presented at ASHA, etc.), but now I am having my doubts. I would love your input on my scores and whether I should try and squeeze a retest in sometime this year. It's just that with work, school, and all of my other commitments, it will be difficult to find time to buckle down and study.

I really don't know what to do! Any advice regarding this matter would be very, very, VERY much appreciated! 

Edited by BurritoConnoisseur

1 hour ago, JennWilhelm said:

I'd wait to see your writing score. Sounds like you are strong everywhere else.  You might want to redo it if you can find the time and money. My quantitative was 141 and I still, by a miracle, got into my second and third choices. It is possible.

JennWilhelm, which programs were you accepted into? My verbal score was good (159), as was my writing score (5), but my quantitative score was also 141. I was rejected by UTD for SLP and am waiting to hear back from UNT. Right now, I'm trying to save up money to apply to a few programs--preferably ones that are willing to overlook a crappy quantitative score for other strong qualities.

My quant was a 146 (second time I took the test) and I got into my top choice. I know how much the GRE sucks! Definitely wait to see your writing score, if it's a 4 or better, than I would pass on retaking the test.

Honestly though there aren't any magic numbers as to who gets in and who doesn't, but I would just check with your schools to see if they have listed a definite cut off for GRE scores. 

Best of luck!!

4 hours ago, Skinner said:

JennWilhelm, which programs were you accepted into? My verbal score was good (159), as was my writing score (5), but my quantitative score was also 141. I was rejected by UTD for SLP and am waiting to hear back from UNT. Right now, I'm trying to save up money to apply to a few programs--preferably ones that are willing to overlook a crappy quantitative score for other strong qualities.

CSUN distance and Emerson distance

On 11/10/2018 at 11:04 AM, Southwestspeechie said:

My quant was a 146 (second time I took the test) and I got into my top choice. I know how much the GRE sucks! Definitely wait to see your writing score, if it's a 4 or better, than I would pass on retaking the test.

Honestly though there aren't any magic numbers as to who gets in and who doesn't, but I would just check with your schools to see if they have listed a definite cut off for GRE scores. 

Best of luck!!

I got rejected by UTD, too. I'm an out of field applicant (my undergrad major was Psychology as well), but it's encouraging to hear that someone with a similar quantitative GRE score can be accepted into so many programs.

If your writing is a 4.0 you should be okay I think. If for whatever reason you don't get in then retake it as soon as you can and try again. Also consider applying to other programs if you are set on starting by a certain date.

Edited by smarieSLP2b
misspelled

7 hours ago, Skinner said:

I got rejected by UTD, too. I'm an out of field applicant (my undergrad major was Psychology as well), but it's encouraging to hear that someone with a similar quantitative GRE score can be accepted into so many programs.

UTD gets so many applicants that I feel they definitely use those scores to just weed out people. It sucks!

Definitely keep your head up!